Bridge to nowhere

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bridge to nowhere

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Probably not the best quality pictures, but a couple of the "nowhere" end from the bottom of Pitt Street this morning (14/1/13).

They are placing new barriers, which are much higher than the originals. I'll try to get a picture of that from the Newton Street approach tomorrow morning! :D
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Three from this morning (15/1/13). Not the best quality again, I'm afraid, as they're phone camera pictures. However, you can make out the difference in height of the new fence compared to the old, particularly in the second picture.

Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby beneld » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:19 pm

:-) Thanks Vinny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://twitter.com/#!/ahaufstop
http://ahaufstop.blogspot.com
beneld
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Nice! :D
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Goliath » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 am

RapidAssistant wrote:
The third bridge to nowhere was created when they flattened the Albany Hotel five years ago. Although it was probably hardly used anyway after the bus station and all the shops within the Anderston Centre disappeared.

Where did that bridge actually lead to? Did it just lead to the pavement on the north side of Waterloo Street, or connect straight up to the Albany?
Goliath
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Goliath wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:
The third bridge to nowhere was created when they flattened the Albany Hotel five years ago. Although it was probably hardly used anyway after the bus station and all the shops within the Anderston Centre disappeared.

Where did that bridge actually lead to? Did it just lead to the pavement on the north side of Waterloo Street, or connect straight up to the Albany?

To be brutally honest I can't remember!! Funny how you never take notice of stuff like that until its gone. It probably went straight across to the hotel I'd imagine given that it was originally all designed as one super-complex - interesting though when you look back at the conceptual drawing of the Anderston Centre masterplan, the hotel proposed was a much more daring and futuristic building than what emerged.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Robert Pool's pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool ... otostream/ gives an indication.

The bridge went across to a walkway which started at the north west corner of the Albany, came down Pitt Street to the south west corner and stopped against a wall which overlooked the loading bay of the hotel. The walkway was level(ish) with Bothwell Street and considerably above the level of Waterloo Street.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:50 pm

From Collin at LES.

"It is intended to have a soft opening of the bridge on Monday the 8th of July at 9:30 am after which the full route from Central Station to Kelvingrove will be available.

Unfortunately this is dependant on certain details being completed which are weather dependant and must be performed in dry conditions.

Whether this has been completed will be confirmed by close of Wednesday the 3rd of July."
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:11 pm

The official opening will take place from 9.00 am on Monday the 8th of July. Following short speeches from Councillor Archie Graham and the Transport Minister, Keith Brown MSP, there will be a photo call and ribbon cutting ceremony.

Programme:

9.00am to 9.15am – Assemble at the Anderston side of bridge at the end of Argyle Street by the helical ramp

9.30am – Speech and official opening of bridge

10.00am – Close

Note the bridge will not be open to pedestrians or cyclists prior to the official opening.

If you are unable to attend, there will be a large scale “community event” on Saturday the 7th of September to celebrate the completion of the project. This event will see the unveiling of the portrait bench and will tie in with the celebration of the completion of Sustrans’ UK wide Connect2 programme of which the Anderston / Kelvingrove cycle route is one of the flagship projects. Invitations to this event will be circulated in due course.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby motman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 am

So it's now a 'Bridge to somewhere' :roll: :roll:
motman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 am

Yep, all the cyclepath needs now are some cyclists. The stretch between Claremont St and Argyle St at the pyramid church seldom sees a pushbike.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pingu » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 am

it even made the mash

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 3070875171

we should be honoured ::):
toot toot
pingu
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:04 pm

Snaffled, with thanks, from Keep Looking Up.

I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Can't say I'm a fan of the railings they've put over the top - they look crude I assume that is there to stop those of a hari kari persuasion.

At least it's open at last and now has a use.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:42 pm

cycled over it today. The bridge is great, but the lack of signs, the cycle path that for some reason starts on the north side of Waterloo St (westbound) and then crosses (minus signs) to the south side to get on the bridge is a pain. Coming off the bridge I saw no signs directing me. I may have missed them, but I was actually looking for them so if I couldn't see them...

Me and one other cyclist on that part of the route at that time.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects