The Barras and its future

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Barras and its future

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:23 pm

The place is a dump....I've never liked it, or held it in any high regard. I sure you could gentrify it all like they've done to a lot of the London markets like Camden for instance, but is Glasgow capable of making that change.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tomvox » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:37 am

the researcher wrote:Is Pearsons in the photo the shop that sells ariels valves electrical stuff etc i used to go to this shop when i stayed at my grandparents house and buy open reel tapes for my open reel tape recorder i also remember a bike shop further down but cant remember the name of it the shop was to the left of pearsons as you came out of the shop is the building still there or has it been demolished
i also remember the stalls selling towels, sheets, crockery and net curtains and the stall holders doing their sales pitch

Pearsons was the place where all sorts of electrical bits and bobs could be obtained. I never failed to find just the bit I was looking for when I was in teenage tinkering mode. Even about 10 years ago when I was up visiting Glasgow to see my mother and she had a problem with her video I knew exactly where to go to pick up the cable that would get it working again. As always Pearsons came up trumps.

As a by the way up the close between the 2 Pearsons shops was my favourite Barras record stall where my record collection was expanded by being able to pick up 60's classic tracks most reasonably.
tomvox
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby banjo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:43 pm

resaearcher,i think the bike shop at the barras was muirs.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:05 pm

tomvox wrote:
the researcher wrote:
As a by the way up the close between the 2 Pearsons shops was my favourite Barras record stall where my record collection was expanded by being able to pick up 60's classic tracks most reasonably.

Berts Disco's Records purveyer of over priced records.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Probably can't find this info anywhere, but does anybody know who ran the bouncy castle in the Barras around 1992-93? Are they still in the land of the living?
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Monument » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:21 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Probably can't find this info anywhere, but does anybody know who ran the bouncy castle in the Barras around 1992-93? Are they still in the land of the living?

I would really like to know why you want this information ::):
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:19 am

Monument wrote:
bAzTNM wrote:Probably can't find this info anywhere, but does anybody know who ran the bouncy castle in the Barras around 1992-93? Are they still in the land of the living?

I would really like to know why you want this information ::):

I'd love to tie one person in my basement and beat the shit out of them. Well, you did ask.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mjw » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:08 pm

I've never been to Blochairn, will have to get there someday. Well the Barras are knackered as anyone in the past few years can testify to, the heyday as far as I'm concerned was the late 80s/early 90s when you had stalls upstairs in the outer buildings, there was even a chinese takeaway in one of them until it caught fire I believe and destroyed that floor, if anyone's been to Camden it's no just rolls and sausage there. I bought the speccy games there, four for a fiver I think and then later the Amiga games, two quid for a one disk game or a pound more for each extra disk for a multi-disk title. Can remember being puzzled by them selling Megadrive and Snes games as these were on cartridges in the shops, and they were ridiculously expensive back then forty quid a pop for the original, no wonder the place was jumping. I bought tons of old jukebox singles and you could start a decent record collection with second hand albums, then there was the out of date foods, can remember buying an entire box of curry flavour crisps and eating several in the one sitting. It's great reminiscing about things but I guess the market has had its day and will shrink further, will anyone really miss it though, I just go there to check out the decline and for the good memories.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 am

Do the police always have a presence there now? Noticed it the last few times I've been.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:50 pm

They've always had a presence there as far as I can remember. Previously on the look out for pick pockets, stolen goods and breaches of the licensing laws.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Do the police always have a presence there now? Noticed it the last few times I've been.

When I worked on a stall in the 60's they were always there.
Plain cloths men (as they all were then) as well.
A favourite trick was for them to be hiding in the back of a furniture van, in Kent Street and then burst out and raid a particular stall or group of stalls.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Hate the place, smelly with dodgy characters, better torn down.. I heard there were plans to flatten it all and build a road through from Merchant City to the Peoples Palace.. anything would be better than the waste of land it is..... time the Gallowgate changed forever.. Image

calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 am

calamity, " Hate the place, smelly with dodgy characters," did you buy your camera there ? bit overexposed that last one.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:52 pm

cheeky monkey.... ::): ::): ::): ::): a widnae buy anythin fae the junkyard.
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:12 pm

some of us made our first million there and hollow horn gets all his Jonny Cash clothes there. :D
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development