Bridge to nowhere

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bridge to nowhere

Postby aland » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:25 am

thought they had started work on this as I am sure when passing on the M8 last sunday there was scaffolding up at the waterloo st end... perhaps not
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby urbainespion » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:18 am

aland wrote:thought they had started work on this as I am sure when passing on the M8 last sunday there was scaffolding up at the waterloo st end... perhaps not

They have. A new dedicated cycle lane has been built in Waterloo Street and both ends of the bridge are being worked on currently.
"Aut disce aut discede" Anon.

Project Hawick: http://projecthawick.forumatic.com/index.php
urbainespion
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bAzTNM » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:41 pm

yoker brian wrote:
bAzTNM wrote:The one at Waterloo Street is always crawling with smackheads. Tried to take a few photos one Sunday morning. Was particular nervous doing so. They all seem to be coming out of the shops (well it looks like shops) area.

Do you ever get out around the city without seeing raving loonies, junkies, hermits or crazy Chinese triad types? .

I haven't seen any crazy Chinese triad types. I've seen Chinese people sitting in a tunnel, but they weren't jumping about with stanleys in their hand like you are saying.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:00 pm

Ok maybe not Triads but you did describe them as crazy... Don't see where I've suggested that the Chinese people you met were jumping around crazy with Stanley blades.

bAzTNM wrote:You can't really go too far with it. You can only walk from underneath the bridge on Edinburgh Road until you get to the next bridge and then you are faced with psycho Chinese people and stinging nettles that engulf the place. I'd love to walk it, if they managed to clear it all up.

Just seems that you are rather unfortunate on your travels around the city, and with the people you encounter, or are you prone to frequent exaggeration?
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm not imaging anything. Get over yourself. Jeez.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby urbainespion » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:51 pm

THAT'S PLENTY GENTLEMEN!!!

"Aut disce aut discede" Anon.

Project Hawick: http://projecthawick.forumatic.com/index.php
urbainespion
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby MungoDundas » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 pm

Civil works as Cycle Lane effected at Waterloo St.

Irritatingly, and presumably tacked onto this project, the Pyongyang Central Committee have seen fit to make Waterloo Lane one-way southbound. So that's now about five extra traffic lights to get stopped at when trying to drive north up Hope Street and the same clowns greet to the Evening Times about traffic fumes in town.

MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Well I did a bit of digging around - it turns out the history of the Charing Cross Podium is also intertwined with that of the Elmbank Gardens complex (aka the Charing Cross Tower). Elizabeth Willamson's book Glasgow page 214;

In a nutshell, it turns out that the Elmbank Gardens complex was intended to be much much larger than it actually turned out to be, and would have made use of the podium. Here's the link.

http://books.google.com/books?id=F2gpuP ... 14&f=false

The third bridge to nowhere was created when they flattened the Albany Hotel five years ago. Although it was probably hardly used anyway after the bus station and all the shops within the Anderston Centre disappeared.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 am

RapidAssistant wrote:.The third bridge to nowhere was created when they flattened the Albany Hotel five years ago. Although it was probably hardly used anyway after the bus station and all the shops within the Anderston Centre disappeared.

I've used it before 8) 8) 8)

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fatman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:20 am

RapidAssistant wrote:Well I did a bit of digging around - it turns out the history of the Charing Cross Podium is also intertwined with that of the Elmbank Gardens complex (aka the Charing Cross Tower). Elizabeth Willamson's book Glasgow page 214;

In a nutshell, it turns out that the Elmbank Gardens complex was intended to be much much larger than it actually turned out to be, and would have made use of the podium. Here's the link.

The Anderston Centre was also truncated. Maybe someone was trying to tell Colonel Seifert something!
Fatman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Fatman wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:Well I did a bit of digging around - it turns out the history of the Charing Cross Podium is also intertwined with that of the Elmbank Gardens complex (aka the Charing Cross Tower). Elizabeth Willamson's book Glasgow page 214;

The Anderston Centre was also truncated. Maybe someone was trying to tell Colonel Seifert something!

I think it was a combination of lack of money by the Corporation, and with all the flak they took over the M8 construction they lost the will to proceed with the remainder of the scheme. The tragedy of it all is that the whole area is now so "bitty" and unconnected, with some lousy el-cheapo stuff stuck in between over the years. Nye Bevan House and Portcuillis House on India Street are 70's eyesores which look like they were designed in all of 10 minutes - at odds with Elmbank Gardens which at the very least has a unique look and looks as though some thought went into it.

Then in the early 90s they built the Hilton on an isolated part of the Anderston redevelopment site, and as a lovely a hotel as it is - it is completely cut off from anywhere else, it's an absolute pig to find your way to by car. Staying at the hotel and want to find somewhere else for a drink or an alternative restaurant? You have to walk miles or take a taxi. Hardly joined up thinking.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:48 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:Then in the early 90s they built the Hilton on an isolated part of the Anderston redevelopment site, and as a lovely a hotel as it is - it is completely cut off from anywhere else, it's an absolute pig to find your way to by car. Staying at the hotel and want to find somewhere else for a drink or an alternative restaurant? You have to walk miles or take a taxi. Hardly joined up thinking.

Away with you. The Buttery is literally across the road, and it's less than ten minutes walk to Charing Cross and more pubs and restaurants than you can shake a stick at.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Josef wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:Then in the early 90s they built the Hilton on an isolated part of the Anderston redevelopment site, and as a lovely a hotel as it is - it is completely cut off from anywhere else, it's an absolute pig to find your way to by car. Staying at the hotel and want to find somewhere else for a drink or an alternative restaurant? You have to walk miles or take a taxi. Hardly joined up thinking.

Away with you. The Buttery is literally across the road, and it's less than ten minutes walk to Charing Cross and more pubs and restaurants than you can shake a stick at.

True....if you are in the know. Foreign visitors on the other hand confronted with an uninviting motorway viaduct on one side, a whole pile of crappy half derelict '60s office blocks on the other - doesn't exactly invite you to leave the place at night. That was my point.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:35 pm

The Hilton staff don't exactly encourage guests to leave the place at night, either.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm

The Egg Man wrote:The Hilton staff don't exactly encourage guests to leave the place at night, either.

They've got to get people in the restaurant somehow - and if it means scaring visitors into not going out, well …….
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects