Glasgow Home Insulation Scheme is now available citywide

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Home Insulation Scheme is now available citywide

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:17 pm

The Leader of Glasgow City Council today (Wednesday 29 August, 2012) announced that a scheme to help householders reduce their fuel bills and their carbon footprint will now be available city wide.

Councillor Gordon Matheson said the money, to be spent on loft and cavity wall insulation, will be specifically targeted at those living in pre-1919 tenements, and in difficult to treat properties in areas of high deprivation as part of the city’s bid to bring affordable warmth to all its citizens and stamp out fuel poverty.

Households can save up to £280 on their fuel bills a year if they get both loft and cavity wall insulation.

Previously, the UHIS scheme in Glasgow focused on areas with high proportions of older sandstone tenements including Dennistoun, Haghill, Govanhill, Pollokshields East, Govan and Ibrox.

Cllr Matheson made the announcement of the extension to the Universal Home Insulation Scheme (UHIS) to cover all of Glasgow as he visited householders in Easterhouse who had already benefitted from the scheme.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/News/Glasg ... tywide.htm
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Home Insulation Scheme is now available citywide

Postby tombro » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 am

Whoops !

I hope you have more success with this scheme than our Federal Government did over here in Oz. There are still court cases going on over houses burning down and people being killed due to faulty installation of the insulation.

Unfortunately, quite a few cowboys came out of the woodwork to set themselves up as Insulation Installation experts !

Tombro :cry: :cry:
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:23 pm

It's a great idea, in theory. But...

*looks around my pre-1919 tenement*

It doesn't need wall cavity insulation, and I live on the 1st floor so don't have a loft. *sigh*

I'd sell my cat for secondary glazing though. In my experience that's the one aspect of living in an auld hoose which would definitely cut my heating bills.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 am

Cheer up - the people above you provide better insulation than getting a bit of glass wool in the loft would do for you!

Neighbours both sides too? Even better.

If its really cold in the winter because of the glazing and you cant afford secondary panels or new windows, try rolling out some clingfilm round all the joints. Do it neat and you dont see it, and it can just come off in the spring (:)) - cuts down significantly on drafts, and together with a nice set of heavy curtains with separate linings should make things a little toastier.

:D

I had the guys come round and ambush me in the close about new loft insulation. I just said yes to everything then cancelled it when they rang up to confirm as the loft is a mess - and I dont want any old guy rolling aroud up there likely to end up through the ceiling and in my living room. The stuff is well cheap if bought as an indiviual from B+Q or others as its subsudised to buggery.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:23 pm

Bingo Bango wrote:Cheer up - the people above you provide better insulation than getting a bit of glass wool in the loft would do for you!

Neighbours both sides too? Even better.

If its really cold in the winter because of the glazing and you cant afford secondary panels or new windows, try rolling out some clingfilm round all the joints. Do it neat and you dont see it, and it can just come off in the spring (:)) - cuts down significantly on drafts, and together with a nice set of heavy curtains with separate linings should make things a little toastier.

:D

Well, this is slightly *special* tenement. I've got an external wall on one side (thanks to the City fathers who build the M8), and at the moment there's only us and one other resident (on the top floor). The rest are to let, for sale, and being used for other purposes. But yes, surrounded on all sides does make a difference I think. As does having the close - my last house was a 80s Laing built horror, with a front door leading straight into the living room, which was a nightmare to heat. At least there's no north wind howling through the letter box here. The draught coming in through the windows is unbelievable, but I wouldn't swap my sash windows for double glazing for a million quid. My neighbour is going to come down soon and show me her magic trick with cling film and a hairdryer. And my Granny's velvet lined curtains are keeping another generation warm now.
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 pm

I have sash windows with secondary glazing and draftproofing is pretty good. The thing which made most difference to soundproofing was fitting sealing strip between the windows and the frames.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:17 pm

I tried some sealing tape between my door and frame in the last big winter of 2010 (I think) got the thinnest stuff and stuck it on good and proper, only the door wouldnt shut :-(

Dont know where the bloody draft was coming if there wasnt a gap for that.....Ended up nailing a bath towel on the frame :oops:
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Cavity wall insulation. Good way to bridge that gap between the outside wall and the inside wall and let the rain piss in, cross the cavity and leave a nice mouldy black spore patch to help kill the inhabitants. But they will at least be cosy when their lungs pack in.

Even better when it is part paid for by the Council and endorsed by the Council Leader. :roll:
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:35 pm

[quote][/but I wouldn't swap my sash windows for double glazing for a million quid.quote]

And you can get double glazed sash units, which can be made to replicate those being removed but they will cost you more than standard double glazing.

Like you, I was loathe to get rid of my windows for the universal style, characterless uPVC but one windy night when I couldn't sleep due to the most terrible banging of the windows and the heat fleeing out in between - I made the bold decision to make the changeover and it is the best thing that I did. I didn't go through the usual suspects of Anglican and Ben Nevis windows - but used a window advisory service and got me a good deal - whereas neighbour used another, never off the television company and paid well over £13k - I was £10k less than him and still had change!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:34 am

Socceroo wrote:Cavity wall insulation. Good way to bridge that gap between the outside wall and the inside wall and let the rain piss in, cross the cavity and leave a nice mouldy black spore patch to help kill the inhabitants. But they will at least be cosy when their lungs pack in.

That's what I've always thought!

Is it possible we're right and the Save Energy industry is wrong?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:43 am

Delmont St Xavier wrote:
[/but I wouldn't swap my sash windows for double glazing for a million quid.quote]

And you can get double glazed sash units, which can be made to replicate those being removed but they will cost you more than standard double glazing.

We're in a listed building (falling apart, mind) so the allowed double glazed replacements would be even more outrageously expensive. We had the sash windows professionally draught-proofed instead (so professional it qualified for the reduced VAT rate). They had to have all the windows out (the draught-proofing strips are kind of bedded into the sides of the windows) and made sure all the windows fitted properly and all the weights were the right - er - weight. Brilliant! No draughts, no rattles, and the windows all open and close easily and stay open or closed (which they didn't before). Not cheap though, there's probably more work involved than fitting new windows, and they have to be painted inside and out.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:05 am

Martin Lewis on free insulation http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilit ... insulation

While on freebies. I read home-owning Scottish Power customers, over 60 and on certain benefits can get a free annual Gas Safety Check. That's a lot of hoops but it can save up to £100 a year(?)
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:14 am

Socceroo wrote:Cavity wall insulation. Good way to bridge that gap between the outside wall and the inside wall and let the rain piss in, cross the cavity and leave a nice mouldy black spore patch to help kill the inhabitants. But they will at least be cosy when their lungs pack in.

Even better when it is part paid for by the Council and endorsed by the Council Leader. :roll:

And invite the similar horrors of interstitial condensation. As an architect, I have had a few relatives, pals of pals call me up and ask about cavity fill insulation on these schemes. I always advised against it for the reasons you state, yet to a man they all ended up taking it on. The lure of 'reduced' energy bills is just too great.

If they were all as keen on making sure loft insulation was good, doors and windows were good, and the gaps in between all these things were properly sealed and done correctly, and the property was heated with a good efficient boiler and ventilated well also, and of course that they were on the best supplier/tariff etc, then they would find their bills were better as well as their health. Again though - the quick fix solution is always the best eh?
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:44 am

The Industry is relentless. Owners in terraced housing with walls which are not suitable for cavity filling are looked upon as mad by their salesmen for knocking back "free" money.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:08 am

We've had all sorts of people up to the door here regarding this. A bit odd as we live in a tenement flat.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development