Apollo - Greens Playhouse

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Apollo - Greens Playhouse

Postby robertpool » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:23 pm

St Andrew's Hall, Granville Street, Glasgow was the Apollo of the late 1800's to the mid 1900's, concerts, boxing, singing competitions, ballroom dancing and horticultural shows, It must have been a fantastic place in it's day.

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:26 pm

St Andrew's Hall, Granville Street, Glasgow was the Apollo of the late 1800's to the mid 1900's, concerts, boxing, singing competitions, ballroom dancing and horticultural shows, It must have been a fantastic place in it's day.

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:03 pm

From the "Glasgow's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" thread:-

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6708&start=240

by neilmc » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:04 pm
'.....Going back still further, I recently bought my mother a CD by the Clyde Valley Stompers featuring Mary McGowan. What's important about it is that the first half of it was recorded live at the St. Andrews Halls in June 1956. The sound quality is surprisingly good, and even though Trad Jazz isn't my scene, the musicianship is at least as good, if not better, than all that Kenny Ball/Acker Bilk stuff.
The highlight of the CD has got to be "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate", if only for the title.'
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:08 pm

I remember Jazz Band contests at St Andrews Halls in the late 1950s. They were called "battle of the bands" and they were very hotly contested with each band -trad jazz- bringing loads of supporters.Mainly student types who looked down on the Rock n Rollers. There was the two cultures of that era when dad and mums "swing stuff" and I will include Johny Rae and his ilk got the elbow from the teenagers. One lot were into trad jazz the other rock n roll and skiffle.
There were amateur skiffle / rock n roll talent shows as well. Went to support/see two work mates who were doing a Kalin Twins impression."When" was their one hit. The original one hit wonders! My mates came last out of 12 in the "singers" group!! See the slagging next day at work they got-but that was really sort of part of the fun of these contests. It was before the days of music in pubs.They seem to on for hours as well. It was not all orchestras and stuff like that. I think it was a boxing show in the hours before it burnt down.I seem to recall some of these contests had sponsorship from one of the evening papers. Greens playhouse - the Apollo. Saw Neil Sedaka at it. Now to impress some young lady of the time I stupidly got tickets right at the front. Third row. I could only see the wee mans head when he stood up!! Such was the height of the stage. Alex Harvey saw him with Zal Clermison in full "drag". Now that really got the Glasgow lads going big time.Place seemed to go into uproar and I think he did it deliberatly to get the Glasgow "punters" going.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
dimairt wrote:Didn't the Lone Ranger ride Silver up the Maryhill Rd to visit Eastpark Children's Home, calling in at the Blythswood Cinema on the way?

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS Terrific, I've never heard of this. Can we be sure though that it was Clayton Moore making the visit?

Stop teasing pensioners,

Yesterday's Evening Times carried a picture of Clayton Moore, as the Lone Ranger, at Green's Playhouse in 1958 to publicise his latest film, "The Lone Ranger and the City of Gold."
The article describes him meeting three competition winners and says that he was a big hit with the kids. It goes on to say that "He reportedly caused even more of a stir when he rode way out west, riding his horse Silver, up Maryhill RD to visit Eastpark Children's Home, stopping off at the Blythswood Cinema en-route."
One of these days I'm going to write up this saga. However, we now have Roy and Trigger doing this, the Lone Ranger and Silver as well as , according to Donovan, Hopalong Cassidy and Topper. In the meantime, I'm off to upset some pensioners on Glasgow Guide.

Happy Trails,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:51 pm

This article was in the Herald a few days ago

Sunday 9 September 2012

Was the Apollo the ultimate iconic venue

Paul McCartney and his band Wings played at the Apollo in December 1979 Below: Lecturer Kenny Forbes
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 am

Ah Glasgow Guide where everyone's granny and bachelor uncle gained access to cinemas by handing in empty jam jars.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Ah Glasgow Guide where everyone's granny and bachelor uncle gained access to cinemas by handing in empty jam jars.

You mean they didn't? 8O
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Some interesting photos of the Apollo in 1984 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/91627353@N05/
dazza
-
-

Postby Doug » Mon May 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Interesting thread. Back in the early 70's I worked as a bouncer in the White Elephant disco. Round about this time Frank Lynch took over the Apollo so when big stars finished strutting their stuff at the Apollo they would sometimes come round to the White Elephant for a few drinks. If the Apollo was very busy stewards from the Elephant would be sent round to help out so I met a lot of pretty big acts that appeared there. Great fun when I look back !!
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Tue May 07, 2013 10:23 pm

dimairt wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
dimairt wrote:Didn't the Lone Ranger ride Silver up the Maryhill Rd to visit Eastpark Children's Home, calling in at the Blythswood Cinema on the way?

Durachdan,

Eddy

PS Terrific, I've never heard of this. Can we be sure though that it was Clayton Moore making the visit?

Stop teasing pensioners,

Yesterday's Evening Times carried a picture of Clayton Moore, as the Lone Ranger, at Green's Playhouse in 1958 to publicise his latest film, "The Lone Ranger and the City of Gold."
The article describes him meeting three competition winners and says that he was a big hit with the kids. It goes on to say that "He reportedly caused even more of a stir when he rode way out west, riding his horse Silver, up Maryhill RD to visit Eastpark Children's Home, stopping off at the Blythswood Cinema en-route."
One of these days I'm going to write up this saga. However, we now have Roy and Trigger doing this, the Lone Ranger and Silver as well as , according to Donovan, Hopalong Cassidy and Topper. In the meantime, I'm off to upset some pensioners on Glasgow Guide.

Happy Trails,

Eddy

1958 The Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore) Personal Appearance at Green's Playhouse Theatre, Renfield Street, Glasgow by Robert Pool's Glasgow Collection, on Flickr

I also have a genuine autograph from Clayton Moore
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scotsjock » Tue May 14, 2013 5:08 pm

the greens were travelling showmen in their early years presenting fairground rides before moving into the music hall and cinema business.
here comes the rain again !
scotsjock
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Doug wrote:Interesting thread. Back in the early 70's I worked as a bouncer in the White Elephant disco. Round about this time Frank Lynch took over the Apollo so when big stars finished strutting their stuff at the Apollo they would sometimes come round to the White Elephant for a few drinks. If the Apollo was very busy stewards from the Elephant would be sent round to help out so I met a lot of pretty big acts that appeared there. Great fun when I look back !!

Frank Lynch - photo warning - he's not aged well.

Scot Frank Lynch reveals why he's bankrolling tiny Celtic Nation's bid to become a big hitter in English football

TYCOON Lynch has taken over the Northern League club - formerly known as Gillford Park - and changed their name in a bid to encourage support from people of Scottish and Irish heritage.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foot ... es-2094883
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:18 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
Doug wrote:Interesting thread. Back in the early 70's I worked as a bouncer in the White Elephant disco. Round about this time Frank Lynch took over the Apollo so when big stars finished strutting their stuff at the Apollo they would sometimes come round to the White Elephant for a few drinks. If the Apollo was very busy stewards from the Elephant would be sent round to help out so I met a lot of pretty big acts that appeared there. Great fun when I look back !!

Frank Lynch - photo warning - he's not aged well.

Scot Frank Lynch reveals why he's bankrolling tiny Celtic Nation's bid to become a big hitter in English football

TYCOON Lynch has taken over the Northern League club - formerly known as Gillford Park - and changed their name in a bid to encourage support from people of Scottish and Irish heritage.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foot ... es-2094883

Thanks for the info. I knew Frank well from the White Elephant and I knew of his success in America but the football, nope I knew nothing about that at all. Most interesting and thanks for posting
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Never in the Apollo but was in it as a picture house in the early 70s.. I think I was only in there twice, it was massive.. and my wee ma used to go to the dancing there too during the war... and see all the big bands..
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects