Statues To Be Removed From George Square

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Statues To Be Removed From George Square

Postby Godsgift » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:19 am

I just heard this morning that George Square is to be totally revamped beyond recognition with all the statues removed. This has to be one of the last parts of the city's heritage that is still left amongst all the asphalt and concrete vandalism which has happened to the city in my own lifetime which has torn the heart out of the city. Is nothing of the past sacred? What's next? Demolish the City Chambers for something more in keeping with the Scottish Parliament Building in Edinburgh?
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Statues To Be Removed From George Square

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:38 am

I thought they were only going to relocate them on a temporary basis, albeit that some would be placed elsewhere on more suitable sites. The problem with George Square in my view, many of us are not aware of all the representations in bronze - most Scots know of Robert Burns but there are lesser known figures (as is the case with many statues) that mean nothing to some.

George Square is an eyesore these days and there are obvioulsy those who want to see it used as a civic space, whilst there are others who want to see it restored to its former grandeur. I don't know what category I fit into on this issue, but hopefully the improvements will be better than what we have just now but will they be just as controversial?

Time will tell....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:18 am

I was looking at a really grand statue of David Livingstone, up High Street, next to the Cathedral. I think this would be a winner if transferred to George Square. Try a google for "Photo of David Livingstone statue in Glasgow" and click the photos to enlarge and you will soon see what I mean. Seeing is believing - check it out. Great statue.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:36 am

I confess after many years of walking through George Sq, I don't really notice the statues any more. I'm usually concentrating on finding a bench to take a breather on.

If the plan is to use the time to allow "a comprehensive conservation plan to be implemented in partnership with Historic Scotland" as reported by the BBC; that sounds like a good idea. My concern is that somebody will decide there are commercial imperitives here and convert George Sq into a 24x7 burger van/ ice-rink nightmare.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Is this a City Council "vanity" project? I hear of schools requiring remedial work. Potholes in streets yet £15m to do up George Square? I seem to recall a certain Charlie Gordon pontificating on how the new red George Square would revitalise it. Is the money coming from skating rinks, funfairs, burger vans, art shows, continental markets or best of all an "Eastenders" London Woolwich style weekly market. Councillor Mathieson seems to suggest a "water feature". It will get clogged up with rubbish.
I say leave the Square alone. Get rid of the red tar and put more grass,trees and benches in.I hope the local Glasgow citizens get a chance to comment.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:43 pm

I'm sure there'll be a consultation. I read there'll also be 'an international design contest'.

That's how we ended up with the Riverside and, a bit further afield, Holyrood. You'd think we'd have learned.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:55 pm

I sincerely hope they don't do a water feature - for every water feature in Glasgow that I've ever known (exception being the restored and relocated Doulton Fountain) is never switched on after the novelty factor wears off.
RBS Fountain behind Kelvingrove - erected, unveilved - water running - water off - fountain removed.
Stewart Memorial Fountain - refurbished, refurbished again - water on, water off, water on and the last I looked, water off and fountain is a static 'wheelie bin.'
Whiteinch Cross Millennium - Lights, water features - first week both in operation - second week intermitent - then suddenly and without warning lights out, water off and vandals tore the 'unbreakable' granite seats. This carbuncle stands in awe of the stupidity of a feature unwanted and with no purpose....

Jesus Christ was stolen one year from the crib when the nativity was in place - how the hell they going to protect a water feature?

Perhaps the best thing that they can do is to restore George Square to the orignal blue prints and then leave the damn thing alone, alternatively they should flatten it and clear everything off it and just make it into a open air space, with no seating, no street furniture and make it a totally commercial enterpise zone....
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby G3 Growers » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:56 pm

One (so far) lighthearted suggestion is that George Sq should be converted into a vegetable bed under GCC's Stalled Spaces Scheme and the produce used to feed Glasgow's increasing number of hungry folk.
G3 Growers
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:02 am

For at least a decade, it's been just an annoying space where you have to slalom your way round crush barriers which usually have no obvious reason for being in place.

Anything would be an improvement. Anything at all. Even a 'shopping centre'.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:42 am

What do we use George Square for ?
Eating Greggs and sitting.
So more food outlets and more seats perhaps deck chair style ?
perhaps a small stage area,for buskers to perform.
The grass,well the 4 sunny days a year that people sit on it is great
the rest of the year it is a well maintained mud bath.
As for GCC use of the Square for commercial purposes why not breath some
life back into the River Clyde and use the space at the old bandstand on Clyde Street.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:38 pm

If there is a "consultation" and if the good citizens vote against it will the council press on regardless? To-day in the "square" I heard two visitors expressing horror at the idea of getting rid of the statues. Also the "idea" of a statute or something to commemorate the Irish potatoe famine-could this become a target of vandalism by sections of the community ? If a bronze statue were put in Castlemilk, Pollok etc would it be targetted by the scrap man? I seem to recal;l hal;f a tram car going "missing" from safe storage!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:33 pm

moonbeam wrote:If there is a "consultation" and if the good citizens vote against it will the council press on regardless? ...................

I doubt there'll be a public vote. Recent events in Aberdeen suggest that idea would be a non starter.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:47 pm

moonbeam wrote:.................... Also the "idea" of a statute or something to commemorate the Irish potatoe famine-could this become a target of vandalism by sections of the community ? ..........................

It's probably worth finding and reading some of the comments re the Arandora Star memorial elsewhere on HG. Not so much on the subject of vandalism but suitability.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:15 pm

moonbeam wrote:If there is a "consultation" and if the good citizens vote against it will the council press on regardless? To-day in the "square" I heard two visitors expressing horror at the idea of getting rid of the statues. Also the "idea" of a statute or something to commemorate the Irish potatoe famine-could this become a target of vandalism by sections of the community ? If a bronze statue were put in Castlemilk, Pollok etc would it be targetted by the scrap man? I seem to recal;l hal;f a tram car going "missing" from safe storage!

I think Dublin would be the better venue for such a statue! You know if you make a big target, someone will eventually fire an arrow at it. :?:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:42 am

its all to do with the commonwealth gnomes.statues will be relocated,flower beds re introduced making the square more green and flowery for visitors.the cenotaph will be untouched and when the gnomes are over all will be restored.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development