Glasgow Zoo

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Zoo

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:09 am

Reverend Scapegoat wrote:We did find a shoe though.
And some cow bones.

Umm..
*Whistles innocently*

::):
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Hehheh. Exactly :)
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:05 am

Pushing my old mother in an invalid chair, I visited the Zoo just before it closed. We were hoping to have a pleasant day out, but when we got there the place was tremendously run down, and it was a shock to see the state of the animals.
....I never thought I would recognise depression in an animal so easily, but almost every animal we looked at had the same deflated, pathetic, hopeless look about it. Their heads were drooped and there was no life in any of them. Birds sitting on branches especially - heads drooped right down, as though they expected to die at any moment.

In my opinion, there is still a place for zoos - but only for small animals like, for instance, Ring-tailed lemurs. These are lively creatures, don't need much space and are great to watch. These were the last animals I ever saw at Glasgow Zoo that seemed to be enjoying themselves.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:59 pm

Can you still access it these days? What would be the ideal entrance for me to go in (street)?

Is there anything still living in there? I don't fancy sprinting for my life these days.

Thanks a lot!
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Read the last 10 pages. That is all.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm

cumbo wrote:Read the last 10 pages. That is all.

What he means to say (in a nice way) is that yes all of the information you require to answer the questions is contained within the last 10 pages and that a little time spent will give you a lot of information. As to your question Mr bAzTNM yes bits are still open but as to condition it was a while since i went so if you read the previous posts you can get a flavour of what to expect

Yours Nicely

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:53 am

I did look back, however nowhere gives me an actual address of the old place. Even the old site just says "Calderpark, Uddingston".
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby edward carolan » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:59 am

Google
edward carolan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Tried to get into the entrance behind that hotel place (name escapes me). Door was tightly shut. No chance of opening it. Any other entrances that are always opened? Cheers.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Ach, half the fun of these things is finding out for yourself.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby SomeRandomBint » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:32 pm

bAzTNM wrote:Tried to get into the entrance behind that hotel place (name escapes me). Door was tightly shut. No chance of opening it. Any other entrances that are always opened? Cheers.

You could always go back and try walking round the perimeter fencing to try and gain access? Or look on a Google ariel map to see if there's another way in?

Personally, from what I've read on this thread, there is precious little left and what is still remaining is not worth looking at thanks to the local "wildlife" reclaiming it for their own purposes. I don't think I'd be rushing to have a look round, especially as I've seen the photos on here which have documented excellently the decay of the old place over the last few years.

There's plenty more interesting places worth an explore around Glasgow where there's still something left to see. :D
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby joeylok » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:11 pm

yes Glasgow Zoo or Calderpark Zoo is well gone and now a pub/hotel and private houses
joeylok
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Icecube » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:59 pm

The decaying remains of the site are still there. No development has impinged across the boundaries of the zoo site, yet.

But you rightly mention the (upmarket) housing that has been built on former zoo land (outwith but directly adjacent to the zoo) and that is the very same land that Glasgow city council refused the planning permission ten years ago that would have saved the zoo financially. Sickening to see the same ratbags doing a somersault to allow the existing development after the zoo closed down.

Glasgow city council hated Calderpark zoo.
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:43 pm

Icecube wrote:The decaying remains of the site are still there. No development has impinged across the boundaries of the zoo site, yet.

But you rightly mention the (upmarket) housing that has been built on former zoo land (outwith but directly adjacent to the zoo) and that is the very same land that Glasgow city council refused the planning permission ten years ago that would have saved the zoo financially. Sickening to see the same ratbags doing a somersault to allow the existing development after the zoo closed down.

Glasgow City Council hates Glasgow (and Glaswegians).
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Icecube wrote:The decaying remains of the site are still there. No development has impinged across the boundaries of the zoo site, yet.

Glasgow City Council hates Glasgow (and Glaswegians).

Ah, you're a traditionalist who believes the function of councils is to provide services such as parks, zoos, refuse, education, water and transport. You need to move with the times. These things are all privatised and you are billed separately for them. The current function of a council is to collect money from it's catchment area purely to pay for its own upkeep and the wages and pensions of it's staff. Any new staff can only be employed if they are friends or relatives of existing staff or counsellors. :wink:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects