Bonis Cafe - Clarkston

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Bonis Cafe - Clarkston

Postby Mori » Wed May 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Reminds of an italian cafe we used to have on summertown rd.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu May 28, 2009 10:24 pm

bruce1 wrote:Just a quick update on this thread for those interested...

Bonis was badly flooded in August 2008 and closed until March 2009, however it is now back in business, operating as it always has, and yes - Sam & Netta are still grafting away 6 days a week! 13:00ish to 19:00ish (closed Tuesdays).

The penny slots are still on the toilets and the place is still as it was in the 1970s. Well worth a visit.

I remember the storm that caused that - it was on 14th August. The dip in the road (outside Bonis) to the east of Clarkston Toll was like a lake!

It's no wonder the cafe was so badly damage by floodwater - quite a few neighbouring premises were similarly damaged I understand.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby macdonald » Fri May 29, 2009 5:35 am

No idea if it is the same family but the Briggs Cafe in Bishopbriggs was owned by Tartaglia (?) & Boni in the 60s/70s/80s.
macdonald
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby big gee » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Bonis is now closed, a big To Let sign above the door :cry:
big gee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:31 pm

big gee wrote:Bonis is now closed, a big To Let sign above the door :cry:

aw naw :(
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby big gee » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:55 pm

I know, wish I had bought That box of Roses they had in the window from the 70s :cry: Too late now.
big gee
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Godsgift » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:26 am

I certainly remember Bonis Cafe. There was also the Bridge Cafe owned by the Capaldi's in Cathcart and Sams Cafe opposite the Cooper Institute. Up past what was the Gulf Garage and the little row of white cootages now demolished was Valerios Cafe where they did a great TCSHBS....toasted cheese sanwich with ham and brown sauce..:). It's now an Indian Restaurant I think. Boni's was mentioned but what was the one in Netherlee...was that the Derby Cafe or have I got mixed up? :wink:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:14 am

Godsgift wrote:I certainly remember Bonis Cafe. There was also the Bridge Cafe owned by the Capaldi's in Cathcart and Sams Cafe opposite the Cooper Institute. Up past what was the Gulf Garage and the little row of white cootages now demolished was Valerios Cafe where they did a great TCSHBS....toasted cheese sanwich with ham and brown sauce..:). It's now an Indian Restaurant I think. Boni's was mentioned but what was the one in Netherlee...was that the Derby Cafe or have I got mixed up? :wink:

The Deby cafe is in netherlee and it's still there.
The Sam's Cafe I knew was on Old Castle Road.
The one you are thinking off opposite the Coupar was called something else but I can't remember what.
Valerio's in indeed now an Ashoka.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:06 pm

RDR wrote:
Godsgift wrote:I certainly remember Bonis Cafe. There was also the Bridge Cafe owned by the Capaldi's in Cathcart and Sams Cafe opposite the Cooper Institute. Up past what was the Gulf Garage and the little row of white cootages now demolished was Valerios Cafe where they did a great TCSHBS....toasted cheese sanwich with ham and brown sauce..:). It's now an Indian Restaurant I think. Boni's was mentioned but what was the one in Netherlee...was that the Derby Cafe or have I got mixed up? :wink:

The one you are thinking off opposite the Coupar was called something else but I can't remember what.

You're right.....Sams Cafe was in Old Castle Rd and the one opposite the Cooper wasn't really what I would regard as a proper 50s /60s Italian owned cafe.
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:40 am

Godsgift wrote:
RDR wrote:

You're right.....Sams Cafe was in Old Castle Rd and the one opposite the Cooper wasn't really what I would regard as a proper 50s /60s Italian owned cafe.

Not that many left now.
The Royalty in Holmlea Road is still there and still the same family who run it.
The Battlefield Cafe at the monument is still going strong.
Jaconelli's in Maryhill.
I can't think of any others.
Edit: I managed to forget about the University cafe in Byres road! :oops:
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks RDR. Brings back happy memories of ice drinks made with Barries lemonade and ice cream with a hamburger which in these days was a treat long before McDonalds. :D Then, in the first fortnight in July, we'd go to Millport with a choice of 2 cafes. One Italian and One American with bar stools. I discovered my first knickerbockerglory in Millport. It sounded wicked...the word knicker sounded wicked to a child in these days. I wonder if anybody ever invented a spoon that was narrow enough to get the last wee bit out of the bottom of the glass. :roll:
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:49 pm

Ice cream floats! mmmmm
I liked mine best in cream soda.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:29 pm

I was cycling past the Royalty on Holmlea road the other day and had to stop as the smell was exactly the same as when I was a kid and it was bringing back good memories.

Wasnt the cafe across from the couper Gino's? I used to sent to get a double nougat for me and my brother, cone with rasberry sauce for my Mum and an oyster for my Dad.

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Godsgift » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 am

BTJustice wrote:I was cycling past the Royalty on Holmlea road the other day and had to stop as the smell was exactly the same as when I was a kid and it was bringing back good memories.

Wasnt the cafe across from the couper Gino's? I used to sent to get a double nougat for me and my brother, cone with rasberry sauce for my Mum and an oyster for my Dad.

Dave

That's right. Double Nougats and Oysters! And I had forgotten all about American Cream Soda. :D
Godsgift
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:38 pm

just got home from millport.knickerbocker glory costs you five and a half quid.the cafe is up for sale/lease along with just about every property on the isle.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects