The Inn On The Green

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Inn On The Green

Postby GilbertfieldROC » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:44 pm

I was reading in Urban Realm that Holiday Inn have submitted plans to Glasgow City Council for a 112 bed hotel on the site of 'The Inn On The Green' at Glasgow Green. The current building is Grade B listed so the plans involve façade retention and a new build property filling the rear and the gap to the right.

I know this isn't really anything new as there have been a few planning submissions before for similar sites, however with the regeneration of the area it would be nice to see the site getting some use. Everytime you look at the building it seems to be falling into a worse state of repair.

Article is here for anybody who is interested - http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/3488/Glasgow_Green_Holiday_Inn_plans_unveiled.html

The Inn On The Green by purplegrum, on Flickr
GilbertfieldROC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: The Inn On The Green

Postby RDR » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:01 pm

GilbertfieldROC wrote:I was reading in Urban Realm that Holiday Inn have submitted plans to Glasgow City Council for a 112 bed hotel on the site of 'The Inn On The Green' at Glasgow Green. The current building is Grade B listed so the plans involve façade retention and a new build property filling the rear and the gap to the right.

I know this isn't really anything new as there have been a few planning submissions before for similar sites, however with the regeneration of the area it would be nice to see the site getting some use. Everytime you look at the building it seems to be falling into a worse state of repair.

Article is here for anybody who is interested - http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/3488/Glasgow_Green_Holiday_Inn_plans_unveiled.html

The Inn On The Green by purplegrum, on Flickr

Thanks for that.
I remember years ago having a very nice meal on the Inn on the Green and was quite sad when it closed. I never knew the reason why it shut down.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:58 am

I think it was just in the wrong place. The food was often exceptional - just as good as the Chip - and the live music was usually great. Much missed.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 am

Oooh, interesting. I live behind this, and was just wondering last week whether anything was happening. Thanks for the update. I love the building, and would enjoy seeing a sympathetic development.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 am

The Egg Man wrote:I think it was just in the wrong place. The food was often exceptional - just as good as the Chip - and the live music was usually great. Much missed.

The food was good particulalry the fish and steak.
They used to have a guy on the piano when I've been in and on one occasion a piper.
I suppose it wasn't in the best place, not being in the city centre or west end.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:54 pm

It used to get its windows "tanned" nightly from the local youth IIRC.

Good venue though.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:34 pm

RDR wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:I think it was just in the wrong place. The food was often exceptional - just as good as the Chip - and the live music was usually great. Much missed.

The food was good particulalry the fish and steak.
They used to have a guy on the piano when I've been in and on one occasion a piper.
I suppose it wasn't in the best place, not being in the city centre or west end.

There was an excellent female singer in the Annie Ross/ Cleo Laine mould.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GilbertfieldROC » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 pm

The Glesga Pals website has a few small photos of when the place was open.

http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/green/innonthegreen.htm
GilbertfieldROC
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Reference: 12/00531/DC Community Cnl: Bridgeton And Dalmarnock (Inactive)
Address: 25 Greenhead Street Glasgow G40 1EH
Proposal: Demolition of Grade B Listed Hotel with retention of front facade, and erection of hotel (112
bedspaces).
Date
Received:
19.03.2012 Date Valid: 17.04.2012
Applicant
Details:
Goldserve Ventures Ltd
Agent Details: KDP Architects
Per Stuart Duffy 13 Seymour Terrace Seymour Street
Ward: Calton Representation Expiry Date: 11.05.2012
Type: Listed Building Consent incl Demolition Level:
Case Officer: Ms L Scully, 0141 287 6053
Listing: B Cons Area:
Map
Reference:
(E) 260344 (N) 663998

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:24 pm

Mori wrote:Community Cnl: Bridgeton And Dalmarnock (Inactive)

In a situation where a Community Council is (Inactive) does anyone know just who has the right to object to any given set of proposals?

My (limited) experience of Community Councils (CC) is that the automatic response to any development proposals is 'how do we stop this?' (regardless of the nature of the proposal) but, in the absence of a CC, what happens?
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:49 am

Proposals look quite decent for once. I'm all for it. It'll be down the road from me.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:39 am

Aye, a new local :D
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Mori wrote:Image

That lad and lassie must have been following the 'photographer' - they've doubled back at least twice going by those 'photos' :wink:
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:13 pm

The Egg Man wrote:

In a situation where a Community Council is (Inactive) does anyone know just who has the right to object to any given set of proposals?

My (limited) experience of Community Councils (CC) is that the automatic response to any development proposals is 'how do we stop this?' (regardless of the nature of the proposal) but, in the absence of a CC, what happens?

Any individual can object - it's just that community councils are specifically notified about planning applications as the local authority is supposed to take their views in to account. Don't know what happens elsewhere, but in Glasgow the planning dept. is certainly not known for paying any attention to the views of local residents :roll:

And it is certainly not true that community councils automatically object to any development proposals - it's just that the ones that reach the press are the controversial ones.
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:34 pm

hound dog wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:

Any individual can object - it's just that community councils are specifically notified about planning applications as the local authority is supposed to take their views in to account. Don't know what happens elsewhere, but in Glasgow the planning dept. is certainly not known for paying any attention to the views of local residents :roll:

And it is certainly not true that community councils automatically object to any development proposals - it's just that the ones that reach the press are the controversial ones.

I accept that community councils don't actually object to every development proposal but, in my admittedly limited experience, that's usually because an attending City Councillor points out that the community council doesn't actually have grounds to object.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development