Famous/Infamous people in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Kirsty » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:33 pm

There was that wee girl called Mary Bell, she killed the two wee boys in the 60's.

Big outcry recently because she wrote a book about it.

There was also Dr Pritchard the poisoner. His surgery was in Sauchiehall Street, next to Mothercare. I worked in it years ago when it was a wee shoe shop. My Manager told me the basement was haunted!

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mr sad » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:38 am

Such Bad Company, Square Mile of Murder and The Big Men are 3 very good books on an assortment of dodgy Weegies. Squre mile is especially good as all the locations are addressed. Also, Glen Michael still does the rounds of primary schools with Palladin. He dishes out photocopied autographs. 'Cartoon Cavalcade' was mainly filled with Looney Toons. Then it became 'Glen Michaels Cavalcade' and went down the pan, as tehman himself became more important than the toons. Palladin was named by member of the public, some poor wee soul who got a 2.50 book token for his trouble.
mr sad
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DickyHart » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:39 pm

I would love to know who it is that does palladins spooky voice!!!
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:09 pm

DickyHart wrote:I would love to know who it is that does palladins spooky voice!!!

i thought it was Glen Michael himself... :?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby james » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:22 am

Rudolph Hess the infamous nazi was held at Maryhill police station after his mysterious flight.
james
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Famous/Infamous people in Glasgow

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:19 am

crusty_bint wrote:Fred West lived with his first wife in Blair St in Shettleston would u believe!! I think it was in the 1970's.

Fred West also lived in Kinning Park. When they found the bodies in Cromwell Street, they traced all the other houses he lived in in case he'd buried others earlier in his life and this would close missing persons cases from years ago. When the police checked his Kinning Park address they discovered he had an allotment but they couldn't dig it up to carry out a check. The allotment was where the M77 now merges with the M8.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Infamous People

Postby Alastair » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:11 am

Hello Folks,
Just a few points on the latest posts on this subject.
Glenn Michael, as a young actor(?), was in the famous London cop movie 'The Blue Lamp'. At the end of the film, Dick Bogart (the villain) is robbing the cinema paydesk at gunpoint and good ol' Glenn and makebelieve girlfriend are scared away by Bogart just before he shoots local bobby George Dixon dead....Jack Warner as Dixon later made a remarkable recovery to star in Dixon of Dock Green for more years that he should have.
On a historical note, Rudolph Hess was not held in any Scottish police station. When arrested (injured) at Floors Farm, Eaglesham, he was taken to the Home Guard Hut (old Scout Hut) in Percy Drive, Giffnock, then to Maryhill Barracks. He was then taken to Colquhoun Castle on Loch Lomond which was at that time a military hospital, as he had a leg injury. He was then transferred to the Tower of London and of course later to Spandau Prison, via Nuremberg.
Oh, and the Doctor Edward Pritchard metioned earlier was the last person to be hanged in public. He was hanged outside the South Prison (Saltmarket) on 28 July 1865.
Hope this helps. :)
Alastair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby james » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:27 am

Thanks for that Alastair , but having Hitler's deputy in Maryhill is going to be pretty tough to beat in regards nefarious and shady characters visiting :D

Mind you there must have been a few local scoundrels as from what iv'e read Hess was on his way here in an unarmed plane to broker a peace deal , would you agree he was possibly betrayed or set up ?
james
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DickyHart » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:13 pm

Did he not ask for asylum, before he would give any information. if you ask me he was scared.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:35 pm

Thought I bring it a bit more upbeat after Hess
Midge Ure Eastfield Cambuslang………right nae laughing at the back
:wink:
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:43 pm

Hess was held overnight in the guard house of Maryhill Barracks. It's still there, on the left as you go in from Maryhill Road.
Best, Ronnie (old Maryhillite)
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:02 pm

Thanks Ronnie , i'll look for it .Which end of Maryhill rd tho ? It's not the shortest road i know :) gawd , i walked it once in new shoes for me'first day at work.
That was about the same time i learned how to use the excellent and extensive bus services .

I'm not so certain Hess was after asylum DickyHart , he only asked to be taken to the Duke of Hamilton.
james
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fossil » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:51 pm

I sure a few years back (90's?) there was a commemorative stone put up at the site of his plane crash, by who I cant remember but lasted only a short time.
f
Fossil
-
-

Postby james » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:10 am

It's a comforting thought , that somebody thought to mark his landing/crash site.Fom what iv'e read he was here to make peace in an unarmed plane.
He's been labeled as nazi when in fact most nazi atrocities happened after his capture , of course he was 2nd only to Hitler himself , without doubt Hess was ready to stop it all .

He flew here in a nazi fighter un harrassed , gimme a break , somebody knew he was coming , and i suspect those somebodys didnt want peace at all.
For his efforts Hess was to spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement.. just as effective as any iron mask ...it shut him up.

oops , there i go with thinking out loud agin...:)
james
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Infamous People

Postby Alastair » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:40 am

Hello Folks,
The Hess incident has been the target of a lot of conspiracy theorists, particularly when they say that the guy who landed was an imposter :?
There are also people who worked on the Duke of Hamilton's estate swear that the Dukes airstrip landing lights were switched on then switched off just before a plane few over very low. They also say that there was a group of officials in cars waiting near one of the road...aparently a 'welcoming party'.
The History of the British Intelligence Service claimed that they knew that the Nazi heirarchy were right into horoscopes etc. and knew that Hess was trying to make contact. Through a Swiss Medium (well it said so on his vest :D ) they say they got the horoscopes doctored to say that 'a trip on 10 May would be a good idea'.........and Hess fell for it.
Anyway, by way on a advert for our Police Museum in St. Andrew's Square, we have a (small) piece of Hess' aeroplane on display from 1 April. Don't expect a wing or anything like that.........it's an inspection cover (verified by RAF Museum at Hendon).
BTW James.............the Barracks Guardhouse is diectly opposite Maryhill Police Office.....after McDonald's and before you come to the Aquaduct Bridge.
Hope this is of interest.
Alastair
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects