Power Stations & Electricity Generation in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Power Stations & Electricity Generation in Glasgow

Postby frankquinn24 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks for the info
will this come out?

[Admin edit : click on the photo for larger size]

Sorry about the "grainy" nature of the scans, as the booklet is on mottled paper. and the diagrams have a green background.
Dated 1958 this was original set up of the station ,which was later converted to oil firing (don't really know when). There is a note in the book that it was intended to install a further 60 MW set by 1962, which if I remember correctly was never fitted. I only visited the station in the early 80's when the plant was approaching shutdown status. Well kept, two things I remember, The general office had an indoor Ivy plant which nearly covered all four walls and was thriving. The Board room overlooked the Yarrows yard from which we watched the launch of HMS Battleaxe (the training course I was running at the time was temporarily suspended) :)

Ps :D Cell Quite happy to help where I can . assume you can access my Email address
frankquinn24
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cell » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:48 am

Nice picture, I've sent you a PM if you want to contact me.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby frankquinn24 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:37 pm

On of the requirements taken into consideration in the design of the Braehead building was Air Ministry Regulation with regard to the proximity of Renfrew Airport (the old one , not Abbotsinch). This resulted in the buildings being restricted in height with the chimney being plased at the most Easterly part of the site.[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelvinhaugh_no8/6074573416/in/set-72157627378968589[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelvinhaugh_no8/6074033537/in/set-72157627378968589/[/img][/img]
frankquinn24
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cell » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:20 am

frankquinn24 wrote:On of the requirements taken into consideration in the design of the Braehead building was Air Ministry Regulation with regard to the proximity of Renfrew Airport (the old one , not Abbotsinch). This resulted in the buildings being restricted in height with the chimney being plased at the most Easterly part of the site.Image

Frank, it looks like you have put one image link inside another one, I've tried to correct it but I can't get the pictures to display for some reason. Try posting one at a time.

I often wondered about the chimney as it did seem very short, i thought it might have been reduced when the switched to oil firing but now I know.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:57 am

frankquinn24 wrote:On of the requirements taken into consideration in the design of the Braehead building was Air Ministry Regulation with regard to the proximity of Renfrew Airport (the old one , not Abbotsinch). This resulted in the buildings being restricted in height with the chimney being plased at the most Easterly part of the site

Click-through for large size (Frank, you were posting page links rather than photo links).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:51 pm

I thought I'd put this up before, but here's a brochure on Kincardine power station:

I'm on an iPad so it's hard to link lots of images, but if you click on that one it'll take you to a Flickr set with lots more...
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:52 pm

http://www.btinternet.com/~j_d_mcarthur/clyde.html
Here are some pictures of the Gas Turbine building at Clydesmill being demolished
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby frankquinn24 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:44 pm

Re Kincardine Power Station, I liked to take Trainee Engineers to this site (in the1980s) as it had such a variety of plant showing the development of the control system from seperate turbine and boiler panels, back to back with each other in control rooms (Nos1-3)to the early integrated "unit" control desks nos 4 and 5.
With two different sizes of turbine and three manufactures of boilers (each with variations of auxilliary plant) It was a interesting place to take trainees. The canteen was not bad either!
A wee note to cell Methil Power Station was recently demolished (early this year, or was it late 2010?) it was shown on TV news
frankquinn24
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Dalmarnock Power Station

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:15 pm

This is a scan from the book "The Glasgow Region a General Survey" prepared for the meeting of the British Association, held from the 27th of August to the 3rd of September in Glasgow 1958.

If you follow the link to Flickr you can view the FH size image which is of a reasonable-ish resolution. You can make out the power station along with various riverside structures ( did they become the current jakey / fishing platform ?)

Loads of other stuff in this picture - see what you can spot!

Dalmarnock from the South East by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:47 am

Cheers Tom, brilliant picture, it illustrates well the multiple chimney approach that power stations of this vintage had, this is due to them using multiple small boilers for each unit rather than the big single boilers per unit and a common single chimney stack which is current practice

The riverside structures are the cooling water intake bays which would have housed filters and pumps to lift river water which was used to cool the turbine condensers, and you are right ,they are now the spot of choice for the well inebriated gentleman anglers of this parish.

It also shows the Penman boiler works (bang in the middle, just above the power station, with the long bay roofs running top to bottom), I recently acquired a makers plate from this company so I was looking for a good aerial picture of it to see if any of the works remains today, I should do a short write up for the manufactures plate thread. Also visible is the Dalmarnock gas works which had closed a few years earlier in 1956 and Shawfield stadium, the home of Clyde FC after they moved from their Barrowfield ground on Carstairs St, the site of which is also visible on the north side of the river.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Great pic, VT - I'm not saying it would have been necessarily pleasant to live so close to that industry, but it breaks the heart to see how bustling and full of activity this bit of Dalmarnock looks compared with today - so many tenements all flattened with no replacement, an urban density almost entirely obliterated. I had no idea those tenements behind the gas works used to be there.

Kudos also for posting the second pic in a week with a cinema in the background - the Strathclyde appearing bang in the centre of the right hand side of the pic!

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasg ... clyde.html
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Let there be light

Baldwin Ave, Knightswood

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:12 pm

The old SSEB showroom 'Ferry House' on Dumbarton Road, Yoker. Photographed on the day it was demolished

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:22 pm

some old advertising and stuff for 'Lighting' companies

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:05 pm

robertpool wrote:Let there be light

Baldwin Ave, Knightswood

Excellent. There's a thread for Lucy Boxes.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects