space shuttle visits glesga

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: space shuttle visits glesga

Postby Craford » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Re. Brabazon Targer. Customs, Health and Safety and the Envoirnmental Health all refuse to give clearance to the passage of soda farls over the International Date Line as it would put the aforesaid past its sell by date,sorry but thanks for confirming the year.Thought it was around then.
Crawford.
Craford
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Field Marshall Shug » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:21 am

So, June 6th 1983 appears to be a date which has been checked and verified. I also recall the flightpath was from Johnstone towards Glasgow Airport, along Shanks Crescent and Buchanan Street. Either, it flew over twice (possible) or it had flown about Scotland a wee bit before approaching Glasgow Airport. It was Enterprise, a shuttle built as a take off and landing vessel, for tests and the like.

Also, I thought it was on the back of a silver Boeing 747, but pics indicate a white plane with blue trim and silver fins. Although I have now seen pics from elsewhere showing a silver jet being utilised on other occasions.

Thanks to the chap via the link below, we can see 3 x pics of it above Glasgow Airport. I didn't want to copy them onto this site as they are his own pics what he took with his own camera and he has the same first name as me, therefore will be treated with respect.

Paste this into your internet:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=117356

This other pic was uploaded by some dude who doesn't have the same name as me. Stanstead Airport probably.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Field Marshall Shug
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Location: Listening to Strawberry Switchblade on a burst sofa.

Postby Grahame » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:45 pm

Somewhere I know I have pictures of that taken from Kelvingrove Park showing the shuttle flying past the tower of Glasgow University, but this is the third time I've tried to find them after reading this thread, but still nae luck. There's just too many boxes of photies in the cupboard!

My memory is that it was a white 747, not silver. I recall being told that it was supposed to be doing a flypast of the Rockwell plant in EK for the workers there, but the pilot had got a wee bit lost :D
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dapling » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:40 pm

This is the link to the Glasgow Herald front page article describing the 'non event' in EKB. Seems to kind of miss the point of the excitement that it created and doesn't even mention the Shuttle by name.

For my part, after an extremely noisy take off from Prestwick which alerted us to what was to come, it appeared climbing over the trees lining the playing fields at Marr College in Troon. Still flying at low level it rose gracefully into the air right above us, as we crossed the fields on our way to school. Must have been 12 at the time but remember it so well.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ec ... %2C1548575

The second link is from a few days before, when the paper gave away slightly more information about which Shuttle it actually was (Enterprise)!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=d8 ... %2C1072066
dapling
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Grahame » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 pm

*Bump*
Finally managed to dig up those photies of the shuttle, taken from Kelvingrove park with the University tower in the first shot:

Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:16 pm

Grahame wrote:*Bump*
Finally managed to dig up those photies of the shuttle, taken from Kelvingrove park with the University tower in the first shot:

And an excellent view of the cat in the tower....
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:33 am

Ha! So it is. Nice bump, as it were.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Grahame » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:16 am

Guacho wrote: And an excellent view of the cat in the tower....

::): ::): ::): ::): ::):
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stevieboy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:12 pm

I remember this as well it flew over me in Pollokshields is was a sunny day and it looked quite low.
Stevie
In the name o the wee man
stevieboy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:23 pm

I was in New York this time last year, and visited the USS Intrepid (where Shuttle Enterprise is now permanently displayed) - sadly cos of Hurricane Sandy it was damaged and was covered by a massive tarpaulin - so I still didn't get to see the damn thing!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stevieboy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:29 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:I was in New York this time last year, and visited the USS Intrepid (where Shuttle Enterprise is now permanently displayed) - sadly cos of Hurricane Sandy it was damaged and was covered by a massive tarpaulin - so I still didn't get to see the damn thing!

I was in LA last year and went to see Endeavour it was a lot bigger than I thought it would be.
Stevie
In the name o the wee man
stevieboy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:41 am

I remember watching the shuttle fly over in 83. I was peering at it through binoculars from the balcony of our flat in Cambuslang.
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby STEPHENOFCASTLEMILK » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 pm

was in primary 7 in 1983. went to Tormusk primary school in Castlemilk and also remember our teacher taking us out to the playground to see the space shuttle fly past, was a smashing sunny day, the kind a day that's warm n bright but no pure boiling, just right for us peely wally Scots, anyway we stood in the playground for roughly ten minutes looking up at a blank sky then the teacher who was a right moany bastard, if memory serves me well it was Mrs Ferguson who looked a bit like Glenn Close the bunny boiler fae the film Fatal Attraction but much scarier! anyway the moody cow ordered us upstairs back tae class n we were gutted at no seeing the space shuttle and slumped behind oor desks back intae oor seats. about two minutes later somebody a hink it was davie hoey shouted " there's the space shuttle" everybody jumped oot their chairs n ran tae look oot the windae and there was the space shuttle on top ae a jumbo jet flying past our school, it was majestic, a thing of beauty, fatal attraction was shouting at us tae get back tae oor seats but not a single person did and that speaks volumes that as kids we recognised the shuttle as a magnificent achievement in human endeavour and design and we're prepared to defy a woman that had a belt she threatened and used on us that was so thick it would stand upright in her hand for around five seconds! happy days! a wish a had a time machine cos if a could go back in time i would definitely pick that particular day of all days! great memories.
STEPHENOFCASTLEMILK
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Grahame » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Grahame wrote:*Bump*

I noticed that the image links are dead and I can't seem to edit my own post for some reason, so here are the pics again:
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Henrysix » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:16 pm

Very cool pictures Grahame
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)