Glasgow Fire stations past and present

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow Fire stations past and present

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:13 pm

RDR wrote:Going off at a slight tangent, and apologies to the mods if this has been looked into before, but has anyone researched old Glasgow Fire Stations, and what they became? For instance;
South Station (centre street) - Converted to flats - replaced by new station at Polmadie
Queens Park (Alison Street) - Converted to flats - combined with South in new station at Polmadie
HQ (Ingram Street) - Restaurant - replaced by the complex at Cowcaddens which includes the workshops and training school.
Govan (Orkney Street) - Flats along with the old Orkney Street Police Station it was connected to - replaced very nearby by Station on Govan Road.

I'm not as familiar with the North and West of the city, but both Maryhill and Yorkhill are relatively new stations and must have replaced far older ones

A lot of the old stations seemed to be built to very similar designs, Ingram Street and Alison Street being almost identical so I wonder if the then Glasgow Corperation used the same arthitects?

Another feature is that the doors to the engine rooms were so narrow, I doubt that modern fire appliances would fit in and even the old ones had a very tight squeeze. You wonder if the station were built to fit the tenement space rather than the actual space required.
All the old stations had living accomodation above for families as firemen in those days had 'tied' houses and had to live above the 'job'. Modern stations don't have that restriction.

Finally, the Lothian Bigrade have a museum in Lauriston Place that they maintain, is there a Strathclyde equivalent?

Was Parkhead the longest lasting survivor before any of the recent new builds.?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fire stations past and present

Postby RDR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:04 pm

To answer my own question, just spoke to my mate, who said there was a North West station which Maryhill replaced. Pictures of it on the Retired Employees Association website of Strathclyde Fire and Rescue. Interesting in that instead of the firemans houses being above the station, they surround it on three sides to form the fire station yard.

I also forgot Partick Fire Station, also converted into flats and can be seen from the Clydeside Express way, or by going off Dumbarton Road and down Plean Street.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:15 pm

RDR wrote:To answer my own question, just spoke to my mate, who said there was a North West station which Maryhill replaced. Pictures of it on the Retired Employees Association website of Strathclyde Fire and Rescue. Interesting in that instead of the firemans houses being above the station, they surround it on three sides to form the fire station yard.

I also forgot Partick Fire Station, also converted into flats and can be seen from the Clydeside Express way, or by going off Dumbarton Road and down Plean Street.

Surely you mean off Dumbarton Road and going down Beith Street? - Plean Street is in Yoker.

I can vaguely remember being taking to the old fire station in Beith Street Partick as a youngster - we moved to Yoker when I was 5 and it was still open in 1977-78, I think Partick Station relocated to Yorkhill around this time. Next time I meet my mate's dad I will ask him as he was in the Service and served at both Govan and Maryhill.

EDIT - Partick was still operational in 1985

There used to be flashing lights on the expressway just at either side of the footbridge at the tall ship which would flash on activation of the fire bell at the station, the engines used to have direct access onto the expressway from under the railway bridge - of course there wasn't as much traffic on the expressway back then

Maryhill still had firemen & families staying there in the very late 1980's I was at School with a lad who'd father was sub officer there and we used to play snooker in the mess room on the proviso we didn't get in the way.

Edit - more info on Glasgow Fire Stations including Glasgow Fire Brigade & Strathclyde Fire & Rescue can be found here http://www.btinternet.com/~graeme.kirkwood/SFB.htm
Last edited by yoker brian on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:20 pm

yoker brian wrote:
RDR wrote:To answer my own question, just spoke to my mate, who said there was a North West station which Maryhill replaced. Pictures of it on the Retired Employees Association website of Strathclyde Fire and Rescue. Interesting in that instead of the firemans houses being above the station, they surround it on three sides to form the fire station yard.

Surely you mean off Dumbarton Road and going down Beith Street? - Plean Street is in Yoker.

I can vaguely remember being taking to the old fire station in Beith Street Partick as a youngster - we moved to Yoker when I was 5 and it was still open in 1977-78, I think Partick Station relocated to Yorkhill around this time. Next time I meet my mate's dad I will ask him as he was in the Service and served at both Govan and Maryhill.

There used to be flashing lights on the expressway just at either side of the footbridge at the tall ship which would flash on activation of the fire bell at the station, the engines used to have direct access onto the expressway from under the railway bridge - of course there wasn't as much traffic on the expressway back then

Maryhill still had firemen & families staying there in the very late 1980's I was at School with a lad who'd father was sub officer there and we used to play snooker in the mess room on the proviso we didn't get in the way.

Yes, your quite right, I don't know where I got Plean Street from :oops: Other than I work with someone who lives in Plean Street!

I remeber the warning lights on the expressway and that was a very narrow bridge arch the engines had to get through.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:28 pm

Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Preservation Group
http://www.strathclydefirepreservationgroup.org/
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:23 am

Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:41 pm

(Apologies for the duff phone photos)

Old Partck fire station.

And around the corner. Same structure, but does anyone know if this was part of the fire station ?

And for whom was this wee house built ? The Firemaster ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Fire stations past and present

Postby HollowHorn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:00 pm

North West Fire Station, Kelbourne St. Maryhill. 1965 :

2003:

This is on a building on Wallace St. in Tradeston:
Given that the Fire Station was in Centre St. Is this the south side of the station?

Another couple of shots of the building in question:

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:25 am

HollowHorn wrote:North West Fire Station, Kelbourne St. Maryhill. 1965 :

2003:

This is on a building on Wallace St. in Tradeston:
Given that the Fire Station was in Centre St. Is this the south side of the station?

Another couple of shots of the building in question:

Short answer is, yes, Centre Street, is the old South Fire Station. My mate worked there for many years, eventually transferring to Queens Park, when the South closed and then to Polmadie, when QP closed in turn.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowMac » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 pm

glasgowken wrote:(Apologies for the duff phone photos)

Old Partck fire station.
[Image removed ]
And around the corner. Same structure, but does anyone know if this was part of the fire station ?
[Image removed ]

And for whom was this wee house built ? The Firemaster ?
[Image removed ]

Yes, the whole lot is the fire station.

The original two closes on Sandy Rd and two on Beith St were for access to the firemen's family flats, firemen and their families lived on site in the station as part of their job. The engine bays (Beith St) were converted after the station closed and turned into flats and the centre bay was turned into a close for access to the converted flats in the bays and above.

The little house at the end, I am unsure of but was used as part of the fire station and later had other uses, when the station shut down and Partick Housing Association took ownership of the buildings, the wee house on the end was converted to their offices, later on it was converted to flats for tenants.

I have been told a Lighting Department was also located somewhere either next to/behind that wee house at one time, information is sketchy though. I have also been told by an OAP ex-fireman who was stationed there long ago that the house was used by the firemen at one time, he is extremely vague on details due to his age unfortunately.

Originally that house had a single story house built on to the right of it during construction (later demolished to give access to the private car park when PHA took ownership)

As can be seen here:

The whole building (fire station and the wee house) is Grade B listed.
Description: 30-36 (even Nos) Sandy Road (formerly Clyde St), 120-124 (even Nos) Beith Street (formerly Hozier Street), Former Partick Fire Station,
Date Listed: 10 July 1989, Historic Scotland Building ID: 32297

Further detailed information can be found here: http://www.btinternet.com/~graeme.kirkwood/SFB/A06.htm

I hope that info helps you glasgowken. :)

Ps, according to above link. "To the north of the entrance from Clyde Street are the Store Rooms, Muster Room, Lamp Room, and Office in connection with the Lighting Department."

Also, Partick Housing Association (PHA) used to be called "Meadowside and Thornwood Housing Association" just to stop any confusion.
Lost in Glesga First Buses 'Magical Mystery Tour Revamp' Hell while trying to get hame fer ma dinner!!
GlasgowMac
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:41 am

GlasgowMac wrote: .......................

Also, Partick Housing Association (PHA) used to be called "Meadowside and Thornwood Housing Association" just to stop any confusion.

Partick Housing Association and Meadowside and Thornwood Housing Association were separate organisations till they merged about 10 years ago.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GlasgowMac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:50 pm

The Egg Man wrote:
GlasgowMac wrote: .......................

Partick Housing Association and Meadowside and Thornwood Housing Association were separate organisations till they merged about 10 years ago.

Apologies, my mistake, thanks for pointing that out, I was half sleeping. :oops:

I found a little bit more info about the fire station. http://www.strathclydefire.org/rea/press_archive/Partick%20Fire%20Stn.pdf
Interesting document due to the fact it shows the original floorplan and layout of the fire station. I also found out that the wee house at the end was seemingly built to house extra staff (info by word of mouth) and it was possibly built around 1914 at the same time other additions and alterations were being done to the station. :)

Nice pictures on it too showing horse drawn fire engines at the station on Beith St (Hozier St) and on Sandy Rd (Clyde St).

A good view of the station can also be found here: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=t9bdcdgn6bt0&lvl=18.992420231120775&dir=350.6355523791996&sty=o&eo=0&where1=Sandy%20Road%20G11%206&form=LMLTCC
Lost in Glesga First Buses 'Magical Mystery Tour Revamp' Hell while trying to get hame fer ma dinner!!
GlasgowMac
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby tartanmarco » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 am

Hello everyone

My old man is a retired Fireman and I was lucky enough to live in a Fire Station, unfortunately it was for the first few years of my life so I have no recollection of it!!

We lived in the North Fire Station which is on St Georges Rd (G3 6JX) and now flats while my dad worked out of the North West Fire Station (Kelbourne St, Maryhill). I do remember spending many happy days in Kelbourne St for their 'Open Days'.
tartanmarco
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dimairt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:43 am

Hello Tartanmarco, hope you like this one. The fire station was located between St George's in the Field Church and Cedar St flats.

Durachdan,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tartanmarco » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Not been online for few weeks so just seen your pic. My folks were delighted to see the pic you posted, my old man actually drove that Fire Engine at one point. Think its like the one in the Riverside Museum.

The ground floor was obviously the engine room, the first floor was the Station Masters room (left hand windows) and the officers billets (right hand windows), on the 2 floors above there were 4 flats of which my folks in the second floor left hand flat which you can see in the picture.

Still wonder what it must have been like living in an active fire station!
tartanmarco
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects