Dundee

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Dundee

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Incidentally, the McManus Galleries used to be known (including to me as a sprog) as the Albert Institute, its name being changed in honour of a sometime Lord Provost of the city largely responsible for wiping out what was left of the medieval core of the city. Then, uh, getting caught up in a huge corruption scandal to do with redevelopment contracts. I forget the details my father told me, but a guy over on SSC's fine Dundee thread reckons he owned the demolition company that got most of the business. Anyway...

Having said that, the Council seems to have had a long talent for demolition. In the Albert Institute ( :wink: ), this caught my eye, being a cheerful memento of the 1930s destruction of William Adams' outstandingly graceful 18th century Town House, incorporating a chunk of its stone and proudly listing the Council members and other officials responsible (plus some of the demolition men):

More cheerfully, uh, a bit of a first class carriage from the train that fell with the first Tay Bridge:

Elsewhere, dusk falling on the Nethergate:

And a bit of Dundee Uni:

Down by the Tay again, much redeveloped in recent years with flats etc; I can remember being taken to the wharf just past where it juts out, to see the SS Canberra, when I was about 11 or so. It was, uh, big:

Nice bridge, but arguably another fuck up - the city engineer of the time was keen to have the road bridge's northern landfall a mile or two west of the city centre, but the Council disagreed, arguably cutting off the city from the shore for the last few decades and making the Inner Ring Road inevitable:

A bit they forgot to demolish though - now a pub at the junction of the Cowgate and King Street (ignore the blue roofs in the background, ta):

Further along the Cowgate, the sole remnant of the late 16th century city wall, being the East Port or Wishart Arch. The crenellation isn't original, George Wishart had damn all to do with it, and it's apparently not quite in its original spot, but hey. I could swear it was a complete street when I was last here quite a few years ago, the south side having disappeared since, but I might be wrong:

Uh, aye:

Finally, honest, a nice wee memorial to the old Town House, on the side of what is now the city's oldest house, on the High Street:

RCHAMS has a wee bit more about the Town House along with some photos, should ye care:
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/18 ... own+house/
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dot » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:45 am

Lovely photos and what a fantastic clock.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby + 1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:40 am

A scorching day this was,, Dundee doesn't deserve the reputation it has.

Obviously people don't consider themselves yuppies in Dundee,

Flats for non smokers I suppose,

On top of a Gravestone, I wonder if they thought taking fruit to the afterlife was something needed,

Anyone for a cup of tea & bacon roll?

hmm this was up an alley..

What a great name for a takeaway.

Some other interesting shots.

+ 1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:12 pm

This was a surprising sight in Dundee yesterday, hung about for a pic of a helicopter coming in to land on it, but the damned thing kept on circling and backing off. It was a shade breezy to be fair.

Apparently the legs are getting worked on.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Josef » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:30 pm

Excellent! It's like an still from War of the Worlds or something.

I'm sure it's all very stable and that, but I still wouldn't like to live within toppling range.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:10 am

Aha! :)

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:07 pm

Sharon wrote:Image

This was a surprising sight in Dundee yesterday, hung about for a pic of a helicopter coming in to land on it, but the damned thing kept on circling and backing off. It was a shade breezy to be fair.

Apparently the legs are getting worked on.

My son lives just up the road from this, and he says it looks great at night, as there are no lights on the legs, so it looks as if the platform is hovering, so making it even more spooky!
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:44 pm

A tip for any hungry HGers visiting Dundee in future ...

I was up in Dundee for a team meeting (our team members are situated between offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen - we alternate between the first three for our monthly meetings) the week before last and one of the local (well, Kirriemuir) lads suggested going to the "pie shop" for lunch.

I was expecting a wee local bakers, however the "pie shop" turned out to be Clark's Bakery, a very well known (so I was told on arrival) huge bakers that opens 24 hours a day (the local lads said most of the pub and club goers retreat to Clark's at chucking out time). I had thought that I would be choosing from the usual bakers' fayre of sausage rolls, pies or bridies so I was a bit taken aback by the array of choice (note, old menu - I'm sure there was slightly greater choice and the prices were definitely a little bit higher) on offer; I hummed and hawed for a few mins and eventually went for the safe/boring option of sausage roll and chips - I needn't have been concerned as the chips were very good (decent sized portion, tasty and not greasy) and the sausage roll was fantastic, quite easily the best one I've ever eaten (and it was huge!). For the quality and size of the food, the prices were reasonable too.

If you're ever in Dundee, I would definitely recommend a visit - I'll certainly be going back any time I'm in that neck of the woods or passing through.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munroman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:A tip for any hungry HGers visiting Dundee in future ...

I was up in Dundee for a team meeting (our team members are situated between offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen - we alternate between the first three for our monthly meetings) the week before last and one of the local (well, Kirriemuir) lads suggested going to the "pie shop" for lunch.

I was expecting a wee local bakers, however the "pie shop" turned out to be Clark's Bakery, a very well known (so I was told on arrival) huge bakers that opens 24 hours a day (the local lads said most of the pub and club goers retreat to Clark's at chucking out time). I had thought that I would be choosing from the usual bakers' fayre of sausage rolls, pies or bridies so I was a bit taken aback by the array of choice (note, old menu - I'm sure there was slightly greater choice and the prices were definitely a little bit higher) on offer; I hummed and hawed for a few mins and eventually went for the safe/boring option of sausage roll and chips - I needn't have been concerned as the chips were very good (decent sized portion, tasty and not greasy) and the sausage roll was fantastic, quite easily the best one I've ever eaten (and it was huge!). For the quality and size of the food, the prices were reasonable too.

If you're ever in Dundee, I would definitely recommend a visit - I'll certainly be going back any time I'm in that neck of the woods or passing through.

Sounds good, but they don't have 'pie' shops in Dundee, its a 'peh' shop, they are usually found near the traffic circles! :)
munroman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:31 pm

munroman wrote:traffic circles

:?:

Is that Dundonian for roundabout? Or am I having a blonde moment??
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:
munroman wrote:traffic circles

:?:

Is that Dundonian for roundabout? Or am I having a blonde moment??

It is indeed but native Dundonians don't speak Dundonian, they speak kettle-biler.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:22 pm

According to Jim Wilkie in Dundee Jazz is a film about a big fish rather that a type of music with a repetitive rhythm.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bing Buzby » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:15 pm

getting caught up in a huge corruption scandal to do with redevelopment contracts. I forget the details my father told me, but a guy over on SSC's fine Dundee thread reckons he owned the demolition company that got most of the business

I was under the impression it was his brother in law that owned the demolition company. But of course I may be mistaken. (Lawyers take note).

As for Clark's bakery, oh yes, a kind of last chance saloon for lubricated lotharios, you either went home with yer pie or a pie. A win-win situation in Dundee.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:46 pm

While the debate goes on in N.I. about the state of our untreated pavements in the snowy weather things
seem rather different in Dundee.

Firefighters were sent out to remove icicles from a shop roof in case they would fall on the heads of those
using the cash machine below.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Music Dundee Danny Wilson Video Sweet B&W Footage

Postby MungoDundas » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:02 pm

Unclear where to post this, 'cause the HG search function
just pure overwhelms me cos it's got no fillitration? graduation ?
moderation ? - just plain belts everything out big time.

Stumbled upon this Danny Wilson video which has some smashing DND footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jwzGhaAKYo

Hoping that it's to your taste and not a repeat ?

Best

NDM
MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World