Glasgow Murder Mysteries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Murder Mysteries

Postby Mori » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:22 am

Real Crime: Peter Tobin [Part 1/6] Automaticly goes on to the next part.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jet10 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:26 am

pamela walker wrote:Hi there Viceroy

It is such a nice feeling to know that people still remember andrea after all this time. She will never be forgotten by any of the family. I am Andreas aunt and it is still so fresh in everyones minds what happened that day. She will never be forgotten. Sadly her mum passed away a couple of years ago but she is at long last with her daughter whom she never had the chance to see grow into a beautiful lady as i am sure she would have. Thank you tears flowing as i read some of the stories from you and the next time i am in glasgow i will visit the mitchell library to see all the photos. Her dad has ever newspaper cutting that was written at the time of her disappearance. Always in out minds Andrea we have never stopped loving you and hope you and your mum are making up now and giving each other lots and lots of hugs that you have missed out in all these years xxxx

Hi Pam,
You mentioned in your post Andrea's dad, was his name Edward Hedger?
My family were told years ago that we may be related to the Hedger family?
jet10
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jaggy1876 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Pamela I remember Andrea and every so often she comes to mind I sat next to Andrea in class it was boy girl boy girl and she sat between me and a chinese boy my name is Jim and i remember the flowers on her desk and the newspapers coming to take photographs with the flowers on the desk i was very upset at her death but being so young i dont think we fully understood all of it completely although we understood that she would not be coming back also remember lining up on woodlands road on the day of her funeral and being very upset by this sorry to read of her mothers death but now that i am 42 understand that she will be there to care for her beautiful daughter.
jaggy1876
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby pamd » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi Jim (Patrick)? Good to hear from you mate do you remember my sister Mandy and I? Sad days indeed. Hope all is well with you.
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:46 pm

Pamd, I've missed yir avatar, good to see it again. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pamd » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:34 am

HollowHorn wrote:Pamd, I've missed yir avatar, good to see it again. :wink:

Cheers lovely !
My treasures do not ching together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night - Bedouin proverb
pamd
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jaggy1876 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:33 pm

yes pam i remember yourself and mandy it was mckinlay your maiden name yes and all is well with me hope you and mandy are well too
jaggy1876
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby weedram1 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:00 pm

InkMan wrote:Would anyone be able to enlighten me on a murder that I remember my parents mentioning when I was a kid in the late 70's - early 80's? It had taken place some years earlier on the railway bridge at the bottom on Carntyne Road.

I have tried without success to google this and keep forgetting to simply ask my parents.

On another crime related topic - my Mum came from Townhead whilst my Dad's father owned a Newsagents there. At an old family function a story was told of some nutter trying to throw a grenade or similar explosive device into a chip shop only to injure himself in the process. Again I have had no luck on Google so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shuggy

I remember being told this story also, the guy's name was Galloway and he tried to get himself a free fish supper one night when pished, when he got sweet FA he left and came back with some gelignite, he went to the rear of the chippie and threw the gelignite at the window it hit the bars on the window bounced back into his face, he put his hands up to protect his face and blew both hands off and lost his sight. As the story goes he was eventually fitted with a pair of hooks, which he sharpened, one night coming home from the pub he tripped over a drunk who was lying in his close, he apparently used the hooks to kill the drunk. Don't know how true this story is but it stuck in my mind for the last 50 years.
weedram1
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby something else » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi folks newbee here!

Great forum and this thread in particular is of interest to me. A couple of murders in Glasgow stick in my mind i would like more information on if anyone has any!

I remember in the early to mid 80's i read a story in the record about a murder in the 50's or 60's involving a group of kids who were invited up to a neighbours flat (old tenement), the woman for some reason started to throw the kids out the top flat window resulting in at least one childs death.

The story disturbed me as a kid and i wish i had more information on it!

Another one that sticks in the mind was in Castlemilk in the early 90's of the wee girl who was sent to a neighbours house with a teddybear full of heroin (unknown to the girl), she was obviously bein watched and was murdered and the drugs stolen.

Anyone remember any of these incidents?

Cheers in advance.
something else
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:00 am

something else wrote:Hi folks newbee here!

Great forum and this thread in particular is of interest to me. A couple of murders in Glasgow stick in my mind i would like more information on if anyone has any!

I remember in the early to mid 80's i read a story in the record about a murder in the 50's or 60's involving a group of kids who were invited up to a neighbours flat (old tenement), the woman for some reason started to throw the kids out the top flat window resulting in at least one childs death.

The story disturbed me as a kid and i wish i had more information on it!

Another one that sticks in the mind was in Castlemilk in the early 90's of the wee girl who was sent to a neighbours house with a teddybear full of heroin (unknown to the girl), she was obviously bein watched and was murdered and the drugs stolen.

Anyone remember any of these incidents?

Cheers in advance.

Try Glasgow Guide. They're slightly more gullible.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:14 pm

First one's true. I remember my mum telling me about this and I've read about it in a book somewhere. I'll try to get proper details. My recollection was it was a second floor tenement on south side where a toddler and an older child - maybe about 7 - were thrown out of the window. I seem to think both survived, but that might be wrong. I also think they were her own kids, but again, can't recall the article exactly and I can't find anything on the internet about this.

Can't help with the second story though.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:First one's true. I remember my mum telling me about this and I've read about it in a book somewhere. I'll try to get proper details. My recollection was it was a second floor tenement on south side where a toddler and an older child - maybe about 7 - were thrown out of the window. I seem to think both survived, but that might be wrong. I also think they were her own kids, but again, can't recall the article exactly and I can't find anything on the internet about this.

Can't help with the second story though.

Im not from glasgow but my mum and dad were who moved to fife after getting married in 47 but we visited my grandparents mums mum and dad) at weekends and me and mum also used to stay for a week during the summer and easter holidays
from what i can recall the woman called a couple of kids up on the pretext of them going to the shop for something and threw one of them out of the window but it may have happened when i was quite small which is why i cant remember all the details but it was when i read the thread that i sort of remembered this happening or at least being told about it
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re:

Postby the researcher » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:05 pm

viceroy wrote:Hi Joe and welcome

I only searched through back numbers of the Glasgow Herald and Evening Times for info to put together my post about the murder of Andrea Hedger. But I would be most surprised if it wasn't extensively covered in the Daily Record as well. I'm not sure whether the Mitchell keeps old copies of the Record on microfilm but I imagine they would do. As for photos relating to the case maybe it's possible for the Mitchell to supply photocopies from the original newspapers but they wouldn't be of very high quality. Perhaps the Evening Times archive people could help if you were to contact them.

It's interesting that, like myself, you thought that Robert Tervet and Andrea Hedger were related in some way. There must have been some sort of rumour along these lines going about in the area at the time because I definitely didn't come across this when I was going through the newspapers.

It would also be interesting to know what became of Robert Tervet assuming he was eventually released, which does seem likely. Keeping a very low profile I imagine and unlikely to be anywhere near Glasgow. Although of course after so many years hardly anybody would know who he was or what he had done. He must be nearly 50 by now.

regarding photocopies from newspapers if they are on microfilm the photocopy will come off that but if you have a memory stick some libraries have a machine where it is possible to transfer information from a microfilm photocopier onto a memory stick rather than a paper copy though how much it would be am unsure probably not much more than a paper copy and would assume mitchell library has such a machine
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby the researcher » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 pm

HI
I can recall a murder that happened in shields road in glasgow but cant recall when it happened all i can remember was it was around late 76 early 77
someone who worked at the general mineral yard at shields road with the railway found out his wife had a boyfriend that visited her when he (the husband) was on night shift and during a break he went home and found the boyfriend and chased him downstairs and when he got to the entrance of the close whacked the guy with his railway lamp and killed him but the charge was reduced to manslaughter as a post mortem found the victim had a thin skull
has anyone come across this when going through back copies of the daily record or evening times? as ive found that even when looking for something else its amazing the other news reports that catch your eye that make you want to read them
any help would be much appreciated
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Got something on the children being thrown from a window. Hope this works. Anyway, it was 28 March 1961 in Toryglen Street.

Herald front page
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19610328&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

and a more recent article in the Evening Times
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=U9pAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=x6YMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4337,3524101&dq=evening+times+march+1961&hl=en
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects