A Street Under Argyle Street

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: A Street Under Argyle Street

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:30 pm

calamity wrote:didnt they discover bones under a street in Leith recently while making the new tramcar route, it seems it was a 15th century church or graveyard..

I heard something about that, aye. If you find any links or info, post it in here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4575 :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Darryladair » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Hello i'm new to this but thought i would tell of a hint i was giving from a friend of mine's father :D .
He claims thers a passage way behind the mcdonalds on Argyle Street. I have never checked it out as i really do not know how to get behind mcdonalds haha
but supposedly thers a metal sheet covering it but i'm very sure if its true a few guys could easily shift it ha i do hope this tip off is true and that could give us the truth behind the mystery.
message back:D
Darryladair
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby monkey6 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:57 pm

I used to work in different shoe shops (staff training for BSC) and know there was a street of some sort below the Saxone shop in Argyle Street. A supervisor told me there was a level below the basement that was an old street which sometimes flooded the shop basement. She described it as a street that all the shops had access to from their basements. I was not that interested so never pursued it.
monkey6
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Under the founds » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:05 pm

I find this subject fascinating. I worked in the Central about 30 years ago and was through a lot of it from the roof to the warren of tunnels under it and didnt come accross the street, although at that time it would have been of little interest to me. Below the station there were numerous workshops and stores. BR eletricians, plumbers, train cleaners, Moddel railway club, parcels office, royal mail depot, access to the Central Hotel, lost property office among others. I remember under the arches off Midland St in the corner of one of garages a steel cabinet with the doors lying open and a hole dropping into the darkness. If you dropped something into it it took several seconds to hit the bottom christ knows what was down there. Off the end of the Low Level platforms and on the river side heading for Argyle St Stn is a tunnel which I was told was a Pway linemans bothy which is connected to pumps running 24/7 keeping the low level water free, also that these tunnels are the ones that come up in the Arches Club and run down to Midland St. I wonder if the bridge the Train Driver refers to east of Central is over the subway tunnel between St Enochs and Buchanan St Stns.
Under the founds
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby marshfield » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Hi I'm also new so I might be repeating the story about the street of shops under the Central Station, from 1946 until 1978 my family worked in the Hotel and as a small child and then through the years I spent a lot of time there.

The Hotel was built to service the needs of the people of Glasgow which at that time was one of the leading cities of the world and had to provide superior services and all the functions that went with that, and of course then it was an upstairs and downstairs society
There is a little door to the right of the main entrance in Hope Street, this was the staff entrance, and on going in and down two flights of stairs you come across what does look like a street of shops on either side, in fact these are the bakers, butchery, greengrocery, fishmongery, patisseries, elecs, plumbers, painters, laundry, and repaires everything that was needed for the hotel to function independently,
these were built when the hotel was erected. and did in fact look like little shops, having windows on to the corrider that ran north to south
this was one of the few 5 star hotels in britain and everything was made or produced to a very high standard. The deliveries were made through an entrance in Union Street under the station to the hope street side
marshfield
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby floweredpig » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:52 pm

This is a sensible explanation as to how the rumour started dont you think?
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:28 pm

I think so too, but the fly in the ointment is Jack House.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the white rabbit » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi
just read through this from beginning to end. only been in glasgow for 10 years so have no memories of hidden streets or family to ask!

But I can comment on Londons "hidden" streets. Someone posted about the street below Oxford Street, hinting that every town has it's fabled lost street. I can say 100% that Oxford St does have this underground bit. I know because I've been there.

I can also tell you about other hidden bits of london, but this is hidden Glasgow so not really appropriate. But I do know that some of the parts under london that were accessable 25 years couldn't be reached 15 years ago. This is supposed to be due to reductions in industry and the brewing industry moving out of london and not drawing off water from their wells causing the water table to rise.

Could this have happened in glasgow with the loss of heavy industry making the sub or sub-sub basements inaccessable?
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dazza » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Hello, the white rabbit. Welcome to HG.

the white rabbit wrote:I can also tell you about other hidden bits of london, but this is hidden Glasgow so not really appropriate.

Feel free to post what you know in the Around the World sub-forum.

the white rabbit wrote:Could this have happened in glasgow with the loss of heavy industry making the sub or sub-sub basements inaccessable.

Regardless of flooding, a sub-basement is not a "hidden street". This is where the confusion and rumours which make up 99% of the testimonies on this thread arise from.
dazza
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:40 pm

dazzababes wrote:Feel free to post what you know in the Around the World sub-forum.

Yes, please do so. :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Anorak » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 am

Surely the best evidence for all these shopping streets and mythical lost villages can be found in the old maps?

Where are the shops?

Where is the lost village?
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 am

Demolished during the construction of Central Station.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby the white rabbit » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:18 pm

dazzababes wrote:Hello, the white rabbit. Welcome to HG.

the white rabbit wrote:I can also tell you about other hidden bits of london, but this is hidden Glasgow so not really appropriate.

Feel free to post what you know in the Around the World sub-forum.

the white rabbit wrote:Could this have happened in glasgow with the loss of heavy industry making the sub or sub-sub basements inaccessable.

Regardless of flooding, a sub-basement is not a "hidden street". This is where the confusion and rumours which make up 99% of the testimonies on this thread arise from.

The entrance to one of Londons "hidden" streets was through a sub basement. might this have been the case with Glasgow? If the water levels rose as other people suggested the "entrances" may longer be viable. I'm not thinking of central station, but the possible or impossible one under argyle street
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby the white rabbit » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 pm

continuation from earlier.

The panoptican was recently "rediscovered". The earliest post I can find on here dates to 2004. This was "lost" in plain view. How many walked past it everyday not knowing it was there? How many people walk along argyle street not knowing what might be under their feet?

To quote Carl Sagan (sorry) "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". unfortunately the only way to end the possibility of a street under argyle street if you're using this atitude is to dig up the whole of the street.

I've got a spade, anyone feel like joining me? Which end do you want to start from? :D
the white rabbit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects