help needed in remembering pub name up sauchiehall street..

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: help needed in remembering pub name up sauchiehall street..

Postby Autolycus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:05 am

Where exactly was the Charing Cross Hotel of the 1970s?
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yonza bam » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:37 pm

viceroy wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:As with many other Stakis hotels it was very popular on Sundays. Its popularity diminished when the pubs opened.

I lived in Park Road during the 1970's and used to visit the Charing Cross Hotel now and again on Sundays. It was always absolutely mobbed. To make matters worse the special licence stipulated waitress service only, you couldn't just go up to the bar and order a drink. I think it was around 1976 that pubs were allowed to open on Sundays with the result that most of these "hotel" establishments began falling by the wayside. Another place I remember was the Western Hotel, which stood on the corner of Burnbank Terrace and Great Western Road.

I lived round the corner from you in Gibson St in '74. I shared a flat with some mates and we'd often traipse through Kelvingrove Park for a 'hair o' the dug' at the Lorne Hotel on Sundays. I'm sure we also did the Studio One on Sundays, when it was the big pre-Grosvenor Hotel fire bar, although someone I talked to recently said he didn't think Studio One was open on Sundays.

I didn't discover La Bonne Auberge/Beacons up the hill on Park Terrace until '76. It was different class from the other hotel bars in the area.
yonza bam
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bridie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:47 pm

If you walked a bit further up Sauchiehall St from Charing X heading for Kelvingrove just at the end of Lyndoch Place ( I think) there used to be a modern 60's/70's type pub that did a roaring trade at lunchtime with the office staff what was it called?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:11 am

Bridie wrote:If you walked a bit further up Sauchiehall St from Charing X heading for Kelvingrove just at the end of Lyndoch Place ( I think) there used to be a modern 60's/70's type pub that did a roaring trade at lunchtime with the office staff what was it called?

Are you thinking of the Grafton on Sandyford Place? Now McPhabbs.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:16 pm

Autolycus wrote:
Bridie wrote:If you walked a bit further up Sauchiehall St from Charing X heading for Kelvingrove just at the end of Lyndoch Place ( I think) there used to be a modern 60's/70's type pub that did a roaring trade at lunchtime with the office staff what was it called?

Are you thinking of the Grafton on Sandyford Place? Now McPhabbs.

I don't know McPhabbs but the Grafton rings a bell. Was there a Greek restaurant near there at the next corner?

(where's the rest o' them Autolycus? are they still in Speakers Corner :wink:
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:24 am

Bridie wrote: ....................

I don't know McPhabbs but the Grafton rings a bell. Was there a Greek restaurant near there at the next corner?

(where's the rest o' them Autolycus? are they still in Speakers Corner :wink:

There was the Three Pigeons at Sauchiehall and Granville Street and I've a notion there was a Greek restaurant at Granville and Berkeley Streets.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:39 pm

There was in the 70's cause I was there. The old Glasgow grey cells are dim but it was the white flagstone building either on the the ground level or basement or both! almost opposite from the Eye Infimary
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:09 am

Bridie wrote:There was in the 70's cause I was there. The old Glasgow grey cells are dim but it was the white flagstone building either on the the ground level or basement or both! almost opposite from the Eye Infimary

Grafton's (McPhabbs) is on the same side as the Eye infirmary. Are you thinking of the Hotel/Restaurant/ bar in Elderslie Street.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:34 am

Bridie wrote:There was in the 70's cause I was there. The old Glasgow grey cells are dim but it was the white flagstone building either on the the ground level or basement or both! almost opposite from the Eye Infimary

Clifton House (directly opposite the Eye Infirmary) dates back to the 60s. I don't recall any pubs etc on the terraces north of Sauchiehall Street.
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:41 am

Well you've both made me thoroughly depressed now because I've had to go and google maps for the right street. Streets that I knew so well :cry: :cry:

The busy lunchtime pub would have been on the same side of Sauchiehall St and just a wee bit further down from the corner of Newton Place and Elderslie St so maybe it was a hotel - I never knew that. The greek restaurant would have been a couple of blocks down again on the same side either at the corner of Sauchiehall and Clifton or N Claremount Street
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:31 pm

The pub that you describe is Graftons. Simple Minds played the basement in the late seventies. The restaurant site might now be occupied by Mr Singh's.

McPhabbs

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:52 pm

I remember visiting Graftons / McPhabbs occasionally in the 1970's but I've been racking my brains trying to recollect what it was called at that time (wasn't Graftons, I'm pretty sure of that). The only thing I really remember about the place is that they had a gorgeous barmaid whose daytime job was as a rep for Estee Lauder. Always dolled up to the nines she was!
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Autolycus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:58 pm

RCAHMS has a couple of pics (GW1226 & 1227) of The Grafton dating to 1971 so it dates back to at least then.

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/searc ... &id=246803
Autolycus
Autolycus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:30 pm

I've found where the Greek place was in the 70's

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 64.37,,0,5

The busy lunchtime pub :) was either on this corner

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 64.37,,0,5

or this corner?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 5,,0,13.57
Last edited by Bridie on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:36 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:The pub that you describe is Graftons. Simple Minds played the basement in the late seventies. The restaurant site might now be occupied by Mr Singh's.

McPhabbs

Thats not the one I'm thinking although I remember going there in the 70's when it became an Indian restaurant.

Did Simple Minds ever play either as SM's or the band some of them where in before in the pub under the University Halls of residence in Sauchiehall St? I went in one Saturday lunchtime when they had the jazz sessions unfortunately this lunchtime it was a punkish band and I'm sure someone said they were called Simple Minds
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants