the big day - glasgow green

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

the big day - glasgow green

Postby cjinlancs » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:31 am

was this ever released on vhs to buy?
I used to have it on tape - recorded from the tv when it was shown live on the day but it bit the dust many many years ago :(
I went to it and spent the day and night at the front and still have great memories of it all from the mackenzies to deacon blue..
if it was released to buy does anyone have a spare copy that I could buy or still have it on tape like I did from all those years ago..

thanks..

sorry if this is in the wrong section but wasnt sure on where it should go..
cjinlancs
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: the big day - glasgow green

Postby DickyHart » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:06 am

Hi cjinlancs

I worked on the main stage that day, even gave the old "testing testing bit" for Stuart Adamsons mic. So some help and some of my memories for the day if thats ok.

Also famous for Sheena Easton getting booed and bottled off by her fellow Glasgowers ( she was an absolute diva backstage)

There where four main stages

Glasgow Green
Fleshers Haugh
George Square
Cant remember where the other venue was(sorry)

The old Briggiat fish market was used as the main production office, and hundreds of balloons escaped through a hole in the ceiling, to a much pissed off team who had spend hours blowing em up with helium, and some eejit untied them for a laugh. The squeaky voice gag became very tiresome that day. :roll:

As well as loads of other gigs going on in other venues throughout the City.

Deacon Blue where at the height of their fame and headlined a superb show at fleshers haugh. Many of scotlands best(and worst) bands played that day. Hue and Cry playing twice if memory serves. The Average White Band even reformed for the event.

It was also used as an event to raise awarness for youth homelessness in Scotland and some short films where made for the TV to show in between bands. With the Glasgow Council for Single Homeless(now defunct??) benefiting from fundraising on the day.

It was a "Channel 4" production and if i remember correctlly the event was managed by a mob called "Unique Events" a google may help you if they still exist, they may have went under by now as it was a long time ago. Got to admit they did a superb job.

As far as releasing goes i dont think it would have been, I would imagine it woulve had similar issues to the Live Aid DVD's being released a few years ago, cos of massive copyright problems because of so many bands playing. Be a legal nightmare I would imagine.

was one of the greatest days of my life, and as a young musician at the time, got to meet and talk with some great people.

I still had my program, t-shirt, set lists, running orders etc, but they got lost when i moved house a while ago, hopefully they may turn up unexpectedly one day. Think they may be in my uncles loft or garage somewhere.

anyway im going to stop waffling now.

I hope that helps you out.

Dicky.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cjinlancs » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:03 pm

wow..lucky lucky guy...and it was the main stage I was at and I have to say being there will live with for a long long time..will give your thought about the company a google and see what it comes up with...in the meantime I will just have to settle for you tube for video highlights.. :(
cjinlancs
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby delirium » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:30 am

Custom House Quay was the other stage. Billy Bragg, Natalie Merchant and Michael Stipe played there. I can't remember who else. Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants were set up across the road.
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby hazy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:45 pm

If its the one where Hue and Cry sing Mother Glasgow at the end then I have it on DVD, Alex one of our old members copied it from a tape I had.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Aye i remember Sheena Easton getin bottles thrown at her and Decon Blue had to come to keep the crowd at bay. cant believe it was 20 yars ago . 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:40 pm

I went to both George Square and Glasgow Green - totally free and unticketed, I remember being pushed forward and backwards in George Square so many times that I thought I was going to perish underfoot at some point!

Remember feeling slightly sorry for Sheena Easton, but can easily imagine her being a diva to be honest...!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:10 am

gap74 wrote:I went to both George Square and Glasgow Green - totally free and unticketed, I remember being pushed forward and backwards in George Square so many times that I thought I was going to perish underfoot at some point!

Remember feeling slightly sorry for Sheena Easton, but can easily imagine her being a diva to be honest...!

she was an absoulute arsehole, she refused to meet other artists, and refused to go to the autograph and press area, she had to be led by the stage by the largest security man ive ever met in the world.
Her dancers where lovely people, and where looking forward to the show, one girl came off in tears as she saw it as her big break for west end of london stuff and she got walloped a cracker in the leg by one of the bottles. Here name was Sarah and she was a stunning american girl from cincinnatti.(I got a lovely cuddle from her :) ) Her guitarist was furious when he came off, the rest of the band just shrugged and went to the bar area.

Easton did try to put on a good show, gotta admit that, but her press actions before hand and that stupid accent she ran on the stage with didnt help her, ("hi guys it great to be back in home!", in an fake glasgow/american accent didnt help her cause )The was a guy watching the video monitors and he ordererd the cameras on the guys controlling to be be kept high, to avoid the bottles and other stuff for fear of damage.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Sheena Easton. Now there's a blast from the past. Whatever happened to her.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:33 pm

i remember seeing a band called 'slide' at george square, any info on them?
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby zoidberg » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Just watched that Deacon Blue video. Lorraine McIntosh, Would Ye? :wink: Oh Yes.
"He can't stay down with three barrels on him, not with three barrels he can't."
zoidberg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:07 pm

engineer wrote:i remember seeing a band called 'slide' at george square, any info on them?

I am related to one of the band members :|

Slide on My space
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm

I was just sixteen and standing at the front row to the right of the main stage.

What people seem to forget is that the crowd was waiting for Adamski (who at the time was in the charts with their Killer track). When the crowd expected him only for, after a delay, to be treated to Sheena Easton the results were predictable.

I remember the florescent light sticks that they had passed out minutes earlier raining onto the stage.

Not the warmest welcome in our dear cities long, rich and proud history.

Then again it was twenty years ago so if memory is playing tricks please correct me.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Yeah, people say she got bottled off, but it was the fluorescent sticks I remember raining down by the dozen!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby theloverinme- » Mon May 31, 2010 11:02 pm

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/edito ... -22298634/

Big retrospective piece here - all about Sheena Easton and the politics of the time and the event.
theloverinme-
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)