Model Railways and other Wee Worlds

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Model Railways and other Wee Worlds

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

From One for the Railway Heads >>

Alycidon wrote:Going back to the model them (perhaps a new thread is needed here...

Here it is...

BrigitDoon wrote:I have my eye on this wee beastie:

Hornby Clan Class Locomotive "Clan Buchanan" >>

I'm walking into the unknown here. What should I watch out for? Would I be better off buying one in town than over the internet? I don't want to buy a pig in a poke.

Do I understand that DCC means you can run more than one locomotive on the same layout? It says DCC ready for £104.50 when usually this is a £15 extra.

BrigitDoon wrote:Oh buggit! D & F sold out of Hornby Clan Buchanan. They said I'd have to buy mail order. I'm worried it'll turn up broken.

Anyway, it wasn't a wasted journey. The Brigit Fleet Air Arm has increased by one Sea Harrier.

It's a wonderful little shop, isn't it? :D

I'm going to go through the last two issues of Railway Modeller and see who has one in stock. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences of buying locomotives online or mail order? I don't want a box of broken bits turning up. :(
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Model Railways and other Wee Worlds

Postby amacken » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi
Saw your post and dont know if it is any use but i would and have used Hattons of Liverpool & Hereford Model Centre & Ontracks (sorry forget where they are based) otherwise try Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh or Hornby.com if you want.
allan :D
amacken
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby BrigitDoon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks for that, Allan. I'll look them up.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Verbal Kint » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:12 am

I have to say I have found buying online very good most reputable dealers are efficient in packaging for locos. I have even bought a lot from ebay recently got a cracking class 101 in SPT orange and black.

I am currently just starting on my layout in the attic, one side is going to be steam and one side diesel and electric. I will get some pics up when I get properly started.
Verbal Kint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby stunev » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Surprised to hear D and F suggest mail order, I've always found them very happy to order for you.

As for Harburn Hobbies, it's a good shop but expensive, you'll nearly always pay full retail price amd can save around £40 on the price of a loco by going to Hattons, Rails of Sheffield or The Signal Box.
stunev
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alycidon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Model Rail Scotland is only five weeks away, and the following traders will be there

A & H Models
D & F Models
Harburn Hobbies
Hornby International & Electrotren
Inter City Models
Moray Models - currently offering Clan Buchanan for £105
McLaren Models - currently offering Clan McLeod for £106
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:03 pm

dont go near Morays biggest moaning cnut on the planet, puts hios prices up

there will be traders from down south too

anyway I have spent the last few days scrapping one of my layouts Rawtenbotton was at cathcart in 2007 wasnt what i wanted I bought it cheap and did a few shows with it. plam is to replace it with something else will be 8' long by 20" wide plus fiddle yard. thinking of a shortened version of brechin

other layouts are Maiden Central DMU layout, done Ayr, Greenock, Kilmarnock, Saltcoats and cathcart with it. Corkerdie a layout based on a sub shed of mid 80's Eastfield was at Greenock 07 and Irvine 09 and finally Glen Dubious in N guage based on Ardlui and it is making its show debut at Irvine next weekend
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:17 pm

MIght see you there Alan, I love anything West Highland related.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Brian the show is in the volunteer rooms in irvine, just off the high street. if you are driving there is some parking at the hall, if you are on the train head right through the mall and bridgegate, take a right at the cross and the hall is on the right after about 200 yards. If you do make it down say hello to me and say who you are, ditto for anyone on here. I get fed up with folk posting on forums "aye I spoke to you at xyz show" and i didnt know at the time who i was talking to ::): ::): ::):
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Anyone go a colour photograph of the front of Buchanan Street Station, I have plenty of black and white ones of all angles, just need something to get the general colour scheme

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:23 pm

I've ordered my Clan Buchanan from Rails of Sheffield, special delivery. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow morning.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:57 pm

No new toy today. It didn't go on their despatch system until 1450 hrs today. That makes a mockery of the special delivery by 1pm following day - there's nothing on their system to say there's a cut-off time before close of normal business hours.

Lovely website, Rails of Sheffield. Shame about the information on it. I could have paid for recorded delivery instead and not waited in all morning.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:32 pm

hope it didnt spoil your biffday brigit.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Nothing like last year when the shower exploded! I was a bit disappointed but nothing more. Wolves nicking a point against Liverpool was OK and I had an early night.

Anyway, it's here and I'm trying to get into the box. Bloody IQ tests make my head hurt. Nearly lunch time so I'll play with it later.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:40 pm

Many bits to fix on?? Bachman locos are a nightmare, with umpteen parts to be fitted before use.

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)