RB Tennent Works, Coatbridge or Gartcosh maybe

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

RB Tennent Works, Coatbridge or Gartcosh maybe

Postby kokotheclown » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:53 pm

The immensity of the Meadowside Granary got me thinking on what is Scotlands biggest building.

The RB Tennent (Sheffield Rollmakers) works in Coatbridge must be a contender. Is it still there? What about the Gartcosh British Steel complex, that building was there for a while after closure. Has it since been demolished?
kokotheclown
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DMcNay » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:23 pm

R B Tennant was flattened about two years ago. It's now a B & Q Warehouse place.

But yeah, it would have been well worth exploring...
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby papa lazarou » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:24 pm

The Tennent's building was demolished.
Initial rumours had it that it was going to be the site for one of these new "superschools".
However, that piece of "taxi gossip" never came to fruition and now a B&Q warehouse sits there.
Regarding Gartcosh, the steelworks was demolished...I think in the 80's.!I seem to remember someone saying that there was a paper recycling plant there???
papa lazarou
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:25 pm

[quote="papa lazarou"]The Tennent's building was demolished.
Initial rumours had it that it was going to be the site for one of these new "superschools".
However, that piece of "taxi gossip" never came to fruition and now a B&Q warehouse sits there.
quote]

The other rumour being that it was going to be used for Sean Connery's big Scottish Film Studios or some such rubbish like that.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kn0wledge » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:10 pm

Sean Connery. I want to stab him in the face. And not just because he's a shite actor. All his pro-Scotland act is a load of bullshit: he doesn't live here, doesn't pay any British taxes, yet he goes around like Scotland's ambassador to the rest of the planet. It's ridiculous.

Besides, do you think even if he were to build a studio here, he would do it in Coatbridge, of all places?
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)