Lost Football Grounds

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Football Grounds

Postby Jazza » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:01 pm

I think you're right Dugald and i believe some one has not used the Search facility or they would have found this

Armadillo wrote
I think the stadium in the picture is White City Sports Ground; there was also the Albion Dog Track to the north east, just out of picture (between White City and Ibrox). Going by various maps, both seem to have survived until the 50s/60s (possibly even later, I don't know), but are presumably now long gone under the motorway, etc

Empire Exhibition
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:50 pm

crusty_bint wrote:"The Tate Tower was situated at the top of the hill which is on the Paisly Rd West side of the park (I suppose), Helen St heads off south to Govan down past what appears to be a stadium (on the right)"

Thanks for your confirmation Dexter. Thanks also for the reference to the Exhibition site, i had a wee toot around it. I notice in the extract from Crustybint's posting that he uses "heads off south to Govan.". Helen St. actually heads off North to Govan. I can understand why one speaks of Helen St. for example, as heading
south... we always spoke of "going down to the Clyde", never "Up to the Clyde".

I knew this area very well. It was my bailiwick and I can see my old house quite clearly in both the pictures we're talking about.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Being not as Auld as you 2 foggies, (Dugald & Dexter) :D i have copy and pasted that quote from the Evening Times special that those images and text have been lifted of the Ibrox area and grounds of the past and present ...my mistake for not inserting the quoted text syntax, my apologies for misguiding the HG forum and the general public in the history of this grounds location.

I am but only Human we all make mistakes. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:28 pm

Correct Dugald. The Albion was a dog track, not a dedicated football ground but was used as Rangers training ground until it was replaced by a car park to accommodate the expansion of Ibrox.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cambusken » Sun May 10, 2009 4:11 pm

kenny1986 wrote:fao: busdriver - I'm informed Parkhead's ground was on Helevale Street (see above post and disused terracing).

Parkhead Juniors played, certainly in the 1950s in the park shown in the bottom picture, opposite the fire station and called, at least locally, Parkhead Juniors' Park. But I do remember a photo of the team from the 1920s, which mentioned them playing at Helenslea, in Helenvale Street, but that - I think - was the recreation ground of Glasgow Tramworkers. As Parkhead Junior's Park was their last ground, perhaps this was the sad end of a long decline.
cambusken
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Sun May 10, 2009 7:23 pm

Are you maybe making the same mistake as was made on the previous page, of confusing Helenvale with Helenslea?

There's Helenvale Park, which is on Helenvale Street and was, as you say, Glasgow Transport. And then there is Helenslea, which isn't, and was used by Parkhead Juniors.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby busdriver » Mon May 11, 2009 1:08 pm

cambusken wrote:
kenny1986 wrote:fao: busdriver - I'm informed Parkhead's ground was on Helevale Street (see above post and disused terracing).

Parkhead Juniors played, certainly in the 1950s in the park shown in the bottom picture, opposite the fire station and called, at least locally, Parkhead Juniors' Park. But I do remember a photo of the team from the 1920s, which mentioned them playing at Helenslea, in Helenvale Street, but that - I think - was the recreation ground of Glasgow Tramworkers. As Parkhead Junior's Park was their last ground, perhaps this was the sad end of a long decline.

I can only speak from local knowledge,(I lived in Finhaven Street) Helenslea Park is the one on Methven Street and is in fact so named on the signage outside it, this was the football ground of Parkheead Juniors. Helenvale, on the otherhand was always the recreation ground for the Parkhead tram depot workers.
Reguloj por la gvidado de sagxuloj kaj blinda obeemo de malsagxuloj.
busdriver
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fatweegee » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:49 pm

Was Helenvale Park not used for American Football all through the late 80's early 90's
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:22 am

Yes. Glasgow Lions.

Also, inter alia, Celtic reserve (or possibly youth team) fixtures and international hockey tournaments.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kiwi2 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:39 am

Hi ,

Sorry I am late with this reply regarding St Anthony's ground but the black and white photo that Mori listed shows their ground in the upper left of the photo.It is right next to British Polar Engines on Helen St where I served my apprenticeship in the sixties and at lunchtime we jumped the fence to play our football.
kiwi2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby fatweegee » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:28 pm

Great thread, pity there aren't more piccies of some of the grounds. Was in Dundee this morning and took my 9 year old son on a tour of some great junior grounds (Downfield, Lochee United, Dundee Violet)- although it was an ad-hoc visit and didn't have a camara - doh!!! As a Glasgow man born and bred it always amazes me just how similar Dundee and Glasgow are.
fatweegee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:16 am

There are a couple of links to pics of the Old Petershill Park on the links page at http://www.petershillfc.co.uk

This one, http://fadedlustre.blogspot.com/search/label/Petershill%20FC, has pics of several grounds, including Cathkin Park.

This one, http://www.flickr.com/photos/dickyhart/sets/1282668, shows what the park was like immediately prior to the builders moving in.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby aland » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:24 am

the old peasy park was a special ground possibly as it was one of my 1st awaydays in the scottish, as a kid the terraces seemed massive on a par with rugby park. sad its gone but the peasy have a lovely ground to replace it
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 pm

aland wrote:the old peasy park was a special ground possibly as it was one of my 1st awaydays in the scottish, as a kid the terraces seemed massive on a par with rugby park. sad its gone but the peasy have a lovely ground to replace it

Who do you support? I'm the webmaster for the Petershill website and also edit the match programme.
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects