This week:
Line Rental
XL TV.
50 meg BB
V+ HD box
Old box moved upstairs for 2nd TV.
New Modem & Router.
£60.50.

£49 to install new BB & £20 to install new box. (bummer, but I can live with it.)

So 50 meg BB for around a tenner, you cant beat a virgin as Foss would say.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Is your Broadband shite?

Postby Doorstop » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:44 am

It really bursts my jaiket, the whole cable broadband thing.

NTL has the franchise for my area and they point blank refuse to re-dig and lay cable to upgrade from the copper system originally laid back in the days of Clyde Cable Vision. They unfortunately won't easily hand over the franchise to A.N. Other to upgrade either (although I'm not sure that in the present economic climate how eager A.N. Other would be to carry out such an extensive upgrade)

Calling NTL to enquire about when the essential doorway to the fat-fatpipe will be opened results in the enigmatic "We have no plans to do so in the near future" stock response. I've been asking for years.

There really should be some sort of enquiry into how a company can put such an indefinite stranglehold on the installation of a technological infrastructure that our Governmental bodies never tire of telling us is entirely essential to the future of the country.

Still, at least some of you lucky folks are getting loads of lovely fast goodies so I suppose that's progress of a sort.

I'm not bitter or anything.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee minxy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:37 pm

Bt Yahoo broadband help desk is a lottery. I got a wee woman who was almost as ignorant of all the guff as I am. Gave me wrong extensions to do in the run search thingie and other stuff, we both ended up nearly greetin :D
Lost the phone signal and she never called back, we had been through so much together too :P
I called back later and got a guy, he took control of my screen, it was a wondeful sight and all was sorted :D
Now if the hub didn't play up in the first place , it would be fine :evil:
wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 pm

wee minxy wrote:Bt Yahoo broadband help desk is a lottery.

I'll go along with that. I've been trying to get rid of an old email address in my original name for ages and even after putting a formal request in writing, they won't do it. It's down to laziness more than anything, I think.

Their website is a sprawling mess and trying to sort out the go-anywhere smartphone is a joke. You need a degree in cyberhemipterology to tackle it.

I've more or less got the hang of the hub, though, or at least it's fresh in my mind. With a desktop and three laptops that need to talk to each other, I need to know what the hub does. Also, I can admire the list of iPhones and Blackberries that have been passing within range.

I notice I've been getting paper statements again even though I've opted out.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:13 pm

Doorstop wrote:It really bursts my jaiket, the whole cable broadband thing.

Drop me a pm with your address or post-code and I will have a wee look , you never know :wink:
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:44 am

waiting on sky broadband getting activated, phoned them to ask for a note of my username and login, so i could prepare my own router which is already set up for openDNS, and every wireless bit of gear in my house to be told they dont give that information to customers
thats right, they wont tell you your own login just to keep you tied to their router. and if that goes tits up you need to wait on them sending a replacement, even if you have a perfectly good router sitting doing nothing.
he did say to check skyuser.co.uk where some folk have been able to crowbar the info from the supplied router, but this is the first time i've came across an ISP who wont tell you the credentials for your own account
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Data Protection Act says "yes". Tell on them to the ICO if they don't cough it up.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:23 pm

I'm sure that sky gave us the username and password when we had their broadband, i think it was someone thing like skyuser and password. might be wrong tho.
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:33 pm

I was nearly right then, but they did give us it, and my mum and dads bband as well
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:38 pm

They gave me both over the phone when my router went apeshit a few months back too - not unless Engineer is talking about some entirely different User id and password.

I have problems accessing the web from my bedroom so it may well be something I give a try later should I get hold of a beefier router.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby engineer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:14 am

you get the details to open the router homepage, 'sky' and 'admin' or something like that, but not the username and password to , for want of a better expression, 'dial up'
skyuser and the one doorstop mentioned have a few guides on how to jailbreak your info to use your own router, so when i get activated i'll give that a bash.
maybe they just want everyone on the same router for support reasons, but it does seem strange not to give out the info you need to log on. then again, with sky it does seem to depend who you speak to. one guy wanted to charge me £25 to activate each viewing card i had on account of not having a phone line (which sky would only install after the viewing card was activated!) so i hung up, phoned back and they done it straight away.
engineer
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:09 pm

Doorstop wrote:I have problems accessing the web from my bedroom

Just for 'movie review' purposes I'm sure. ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:25 am