Use of copyright material

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Use of copyright material

Postby maycut » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Most sites will give you their Terms of Agreement. They may state you can copy so long as you do not make a profit from that copy{naturally} Some sites may require that you ask permission first or they may ask for a small payment for the copy. Which only makes sense. After all if they have done all the work, photography etc. You can't blame them can you?
maycut
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Can I ask everyone again to PLEASE make sure that you seek permission before posting their images on HG. It is both bad manners and of course illegal to do otherwise.

Having to subsequntly handle the complaints which invariably get directed at me is also not a fun thing to have to deal with.

So, please take heed of this request!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:12 am

Once again folks a reminder that the internet is not a free for all, please request permission to use an image before posting it.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Knightmare » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:29 pm

Makes sense to me.....although it seems a shame that future posts could be supressed and possibly resticted to text only.

I'll have to put my washing machine on super-fast spin and try to make that time portal appear again. I'll jump in and go back to 18th century Glasgow...take a few snaps and then keep them all to myself. When I come back through the portal i'll be covered in snake belts, dongarees, paisley pattern y-fronts, ankle socks and american tan tights from the ice cream van. ::):

I am taking this seriously...honest!
Knightmare
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:45 pm

Knightmare wrote:Makes sense to me.....although it seems a shame that future posts could be supressed and possibly resticted to text only.

No, all you have to do is ask for permission to use the images you need, or simply give a link to them. No need to be without images.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:51 am

I might just wing in a suggestion that if you do find an image you wish to display you download it and put it on your own server (be that flickr et al or an actual server) then provide a link to the original image. No point in nicking someones copyrighted work and then forcing them to pay for it's hosting AS WELL!
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:41 am

It seems l can't find a thread on photo Copyright in the 'Coffee Lounge' although there is one in Board Index (which l think get ignored at times). The question is how do we legaly upload images that are not ours to HG without infringing copyright. Here is one solution that l need feedback on as to it's legality.

This random image was taken from the web and linked back to its original source, similar to flickr and photobucket. There was no download, storage or transfer involved and no copyright ingringement (as far as l know) as l have only linked the photo back to where l found it on the web. I guess it works a bit like your TV, the signal is being transmitted from one location (original source on the web) and being picked up at another location (Hidden Glasgow). Is this legal? or by publishing it on HG am l infringing copyright?

update; it has been revealed that this form of displaying images is called 'hotlinking' and should not be used.

question answered ....... thread can now be deleted ....... thank you
Last edited by robertpool on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:26 pm

I think you would have to contact Stirling Internet Ltd to be absolutely sure ;)
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:55 am

thanks, l have already sent them an email ..... seems it does not matter, but thanks anyway

Bobby
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri May 11, 2012 8:42 pm

"The Only Way is Maryhill" is a FB page which has been "borrowing" liberally from various sites including this one without asking or crediting. Try pointing this out to the page moderator and see what happens.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Looking for a bit of advice about the various photos that are online that are not from any obvious collection e.g. some are possibly personal snapshots. As mentioned previously, I'm working on a Heritage Trail for the Woodside area and have come across a number of interesting images that might be suitable. Obviously, I will contact anyone that I know how to contact and ask permission. Question is, how do I find out who holds copyright on what appear to be snapshots and, in some cases, are all over the web ?

An example is the photos of St Joseph's Church & Presbytery which I have seen on various forums - no idea who it belongs to, but it's a great photo of something that has totally disappeared.

Any help appreciated - thanks :)
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu May 09, 2013 4:20 pm

hound dog wrote:Looking for a bit of advice about the various photos that are online that are not from any obvious collection e.g. some are possibly personal snapshots. As mentioned previously, I'm working on a Heritage Trail for the Woodside area and have come across a number of interesting images that might be suitable. Obviously, I will contact anyone that I know how to contact and ask permission. Question is, how do I find out who holds copyright on what appear to be snapshots and, in some cases, are all over the web ?

An example is the photos of St Joseph's Church & Presbytery which I have seen on various forums - no idea who it belongs to, but it's a great photo of something that has totally disappeared.

Any help appreciated - thanks :)

I've just sent you a PM re this.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hound dog » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Is there a way to contact someone on Flickr to ask for permission to use one of their photos, other than posting a comment on the page for all the world to read? Been hunting for a pm facility or email, but it's either not there or I'm just missing it.

Thanks
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:37 pm

hound dog wrote:Is there a way to contact someone on Flickr to ask for permission to use one of their photos, other than posting a comment on the page for all the world to read? Been hunting for a pm facility or email, but it's either not there or I'm just missing it.

Thanks

On their front page, go to the far right (just below the details of how long they've been a member of Flickr) and you'll see three dots ...
Hover your cursor on the dots and you will get a drop-down menu with the option to send a PM near the bottom.
dazza
-
-

Postby hound dog » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:46 pm

dazza wrote:
On their front page, go to the far right (just below the details of how long they've been a member of Flickr) and you'll see three dots ...
Hover your cursor on the dots and you will get a drop-down menu with the option to send a PM near the bottom.

Brilliant - thanks for your help :D
hound dog
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects