Is your Broadband shite?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Is your Broadband shite?

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:29 pm

John wrote:There is also the bragging rights pissing contest factor to consider too. :)

::):

Do you also have a G46 postcode ::):
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:32 pm

No. But I am aspirational. ::):
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby nuttytigger » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:52 pm

I'm on the same service John and we always get good speeds
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:27 pm

BT, 3.9Mbps, East Kilbride
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby papa lazarou » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm with Talk Talk and me and the wife always find the upload speed less than desirable. However, I've just carried out a speedtest http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and it says I've got 6 Mbps Up and 577 kbps Down.
papa lazarou
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby John » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:28 pm

That can't be right.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby wee minxy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:12 pm

Youtube videos on forums especially always buffer, play, stop, buffer ,play, stop, it's a real pain. I'm quicker downloading them. Don't know if thats the speed or what.
wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:35 pm

One of my mates was getting 24 meg. He lived half a mile from the exchange in Kilmarnock, in fact I'll have to check with my son who lives about 250 yards from the exchange. My last contract was with Onetel which was ok 'til it was taken over by Talk Talk. I'm now with A.O.L. and my contract is about to end, so any ideas would help thanks.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:57 am

The upload speeds in this country are despicable though. It took me nearly two hours to up a 400M folder of pictures for an HG member last week. Abysmal.

I've got an internet acquaintance who hails from Turkey and his upload rate is almost as good as my bloody download speed and he's in a third world country for Gawd's sake.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:01 am

The 17th largest ecomony on the planet is hardly a third world country!
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am

You might also consider that these 'developing' countries have an advantage of being able to start off with the technology we developed as opposed to the legacy pish we've been hampered with ;)
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am

cheesemonster wrote:The 17th largest ecomony on the planet is hardly a third world country!

My bad .. you just don't expect Turkey to have a better technological infrastructure than Britain though, do you?

I certainly didn't.

Dave wrote:You might also consider that these 'developing' countries have an advantage of being able to start off with the technology we developed as opposed to the legacy pish we've been hampered with ;)

Fair point .. and probably factually spot on.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Doorstop wrote:I'm with SKY and getting 5.8 of my alleged 8.

Was with BT beforehand and only got 3 out of the 8 .. which makes a nonsense of their whole "it depends on your distance from the exchange" as all the equipment is exactly the same.

Throttle merchants.

You'll be with SKY's partial or full LLU, so you'll be connected to a different dslam at the exchange. DSLAM and router/modem chipset compatibility can really fuck with your sync speed.

8/1.3 at my girlfriend's 120m from the exchange, (soon to be 24/2.4) and 3/0.2 at home about as far from the exchange in Kilmarnock as it's possible to be.

O2/Be are the ISPs I'd recommend to people. Actually only O2 because Be have gone mental recently. They rolled out a new website and it looks like my 2-year old made it. O2 own Be anyway, so... :)
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:03 pm

I suppose I'm not too far from the exchange in Galston. It is on the exit route from the town you'd use if you were heading in my direction

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3&t=h&z=18

There's not an awful lot to dilute the service either. As for the distance thing I happen to know the good folks in Auchencloigh only get radioband despite having phone lines run from the Galston exchange.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:17 pm

mrlipring wrote:
You'll be with SKY's partial or full LLU, so you'll be connected to a different dslam at the exchange. DSLAM and router/modem chipset compatibility can really fuck with your sync speed.

8/1.3 at my girlfriend's 120m from the exchange, (soon to be 24/2.4) and 3/0.2 at home about as far from the exchange in Kilmarnock as it's possible to be.

O2/Be are the ISPs I'd recommend to people. Actually only O2 because Be have gone mental recently. They rolled out a new website and it looks like my 2-year old made it. O2 own Be anyway, so... :)

My brainses hurt .. I think I may be bleeding from my ear.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions