Molendinar Burn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Molendinar Burn

Postby hungryjoe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Fantastic stuff! I've just read the whole thread.

On a less intellectual level, after starting secondary school, I was playing with some of my new pals in what was then (I think) Provanmill Park. Where there is now the water feature there was just a burn disappearing underground. I was told that it was the Molly and that if I jumped in, I would come out at St. Kentigerns. I'm glad I didn't try.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:19 pm

I don't recall seeing any photos of the Molendinar's outfall to the Clyde when I've read this thread in the past so here it is.

Larger version here

If you look closely at the background of the above photo you can just make out the original outfall next to the High Court.

Larger version here

Larger version here
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:38 pm

I came across this 1832 plan on the NLS website.

It has the Molendinar mis-named as the Hogganfield Burn 8O

Larger version here

Larger version here
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:I don't recall seeing any photos of the Molendinar's outfall to the Clyde when I've read this thread in the past so here it is.

If you look closely at the background of the above photo you can just make out the original outfall next to the High Court.

Above the original outfall today, complete with the obligatory rubbish but also a strange sluice type arrangement towards the bottom of the photo:
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:a strange sluice type arrangement towards the bottom of the photo:

It's there to collect the gold teeth that get punched out up on Duke St.

This is maybe my favourite thread.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Interesting stuff on the Molly, the "cut" between Hogganfield Loch and the Cam Loch (now Frankfield Loch) was dug in 1675 and the natural outlet of the Cam Loch towards the Luggie, was blocked up. The Town Council had purchased the Provan from Hamilton of Silvertonhill in 1667. The Hamilton's had obtained the Provan by marriage to a Baillie heiress, that family managed to get title to the land having been the prebend of Provan before the Reformation. The Hamilton's were billing the Town Council for the use of water from Hogganfield to power the mills on the Molindinar, so the aquisition of the Provan was partly to secure the water rights. Digging the "cut" between the two lochs was to improve water volume during Summer drought. Deepening the "cut" further was carried out in 1729.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Huggy » Wed May 04, 2011 11:06 pm

There has been no water from Hogganfield Loch going into the Molendinar for a few weeks, the sluice has been closed and the loch now filling after the current improvements, yet passing the burn at the side of the former Great Eastern Hotel today I note there is a good flow of water in it. Given that there's been no rain for yonks filling the gutters, from whence cometh the deluge?
The new railed deck at the loch pier is superb, by the way, reminiscent of the stern of a Clyde steamer!
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Gary Brown » Thu May 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Would I be right in saying that this waterway in Moledinar Park is the only instance of the Molendinar above ground now?
Gary Brown
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 pm

Huggy wrote:There has been no water from Hogganfield Loch going into the Molendinar for a few weeks, the sluice has been closed and the loch now filling after the current improvements, yet passing the burn at the side of the former Great Eastern Hotel today I note there is a good flow of water in it. Given that there's been no rain for yonks filling the gutters, from whence cometh the deluge? The new railed deck at the loch pier is superb, by the way, reminiscent of the stern of a Clyde steamer!

For the most part, any flow over the last week or two (i.e. over the recent period of sunny/dry/warm weather we've had - until today that is!) is probably down to infiltration into the culverted sections. You'd probably be surprised at how big a proportion of flow in drains, sewers and culverts is down to infiltration.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Gary Brown wrote:Would I be right in saying that this waterway in Moledinar Park is the only instance of the Molendinar above ground now?

Only if you ignore the (most-commonly referred to part on HG) short section at the Great Eastern and the stretch through Riddrie Park Cemetery.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Fri May 06, 2011 9:45 am

Re' the Molendinar visible above ground, the stretch between the Frankfield Loch & Hogganfield Loch is referred to on the maps as the Molendinar, but was only cut in the 1670s to suppliment the flow for the town mills. The first sluice on the Hogganfield was built in the 1400s with the building of the first mill. The last mill, Provan Mill, closed in 1905, the site of the wee park in the pic's, with the obligatory traffic cone!
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu May 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Huggy wrote:Re' the Molendinar visible above ground, the stretch between the Frankfield Loch & Hogganfield Loch is referred to on the maps as the Molendinar, but was only cut in the 1670s to suppliment the flow for the town mills. The first sluice on the Hogganfield was built in the 1400s with the building of the first mill. The last mill, Provan Mill, closed in 1905, the site of the wee park in the pic's, with the obligatory traffic cone!

If I remember correctly, flows in the 'ditch' between the two lochs can't reach Hogganfield by gravity alone. I'm pretty sure there is an Archimedes screw on the east side of Avenue End Road.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Huggy » Sat May 14, 2011 12:08 pm

Steve, there are two pumps which assist the flow when the burn level tips a float when flooded, there's also an overflow to the east , under the new causeway, which presumably runs to its original course, the Garnkirk Burn. This causeway carrying the road into the new housing development and laid on deep peat, is collapsing. Huggy.
Huggy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Resurrecting this one, cos like a good noob I've done my search before posting 8)

Interestingly, I grew up under the misapprehension that the Molendinar ran through Carntyne at points, and down to the Clyde much further east. There was a burn alongside the old Dalriada motel, which we were always told was the Moley, and also the local tale goes that flooding in the "new" housing estate on Hogarth Park was down to the burn being culverted under the Parklands development.

So my question is, could the burn by the Dalriada be Camlachie Burn? Or something different all together? It's hard to get perspective on the old maps, because so little is on there which is recognisable (and often the maps don't go out as far as Carntyne/Cranhill on account of there being bu88er all out there at that point!). Does anyone have any theories?
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:28 pm

The burn that runs past the former site of the Dalriada is neither the Molendinar nor the Camlachie - it's the Light Burn.

See this thread on the Light Burn for plans, photos, etc.

This thread for the Camlachie Burn (though there are relevant posts in the Molly thread too).

The (regular and often severe) flooding in the Hogarth Park housing estate wasn't caused by the burn (that burn is the Carntyne Burn by the way) - it was caused by hydraulic incapacity in the sewerage system. Scottish Water constructed a large storage tank in the park back in 2005 to solve the problem and the estate hasn't suffered any further flooding since.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects