Re: Molendinar Burn

Postby Mori » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:29 pm

The research is priceless on this thread, thanks guys. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Plan showing the sewerage/watercourse layout (and Monkland Canal pipeline) in the vicinity of Easterhouse train station.

The (dashed or solid) green lines are culverted sections of burns.

Larger version here.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Mori wrote:The research is priceless on this thread, thanks guys. :D

Agreed. Well done, chaps.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplepantman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Too right! Brilliant stuff!
purplepantman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:41 pm

Bird's eye view version of the plan I uploaded earlier, annotated to show the burns, Baillieston Surface Water Sewer and Monkland Canal pipeline (bit rough but hey ho).

Larger version here.

Clearly visible is the open section of the Tollcross Burn that runs through the housing development on the west side of Easterhouse Road (Brodie Gardens/Grove - few years old Barratt development) with its wide deep channel and gabion walls (see below image from GSV). I'm sure all (or at least most) of us would agree this sort of feature is much better than the old practice of culverting burns at every single opportunity. SEPA are actively promoting the idea of keeping burns open as well as reopening culverted sections and I think it's a great way to go.

Larger version here.

You can see the former line of the open section of the Tollcross Burn as it runs through the site that Barratt are currently developing. They have realigned the channel of the burn along the north of their site to accomodate their housing layout - see the below image from GSV, which shows the realignment (and the enlarged car park at the train station, which I understand Barratt paid for as part of an agreement they struck).

Larger version here.

You can also make out the line of the open section of the unnamed burn running parallel to Whamflet Avenue (little dead-end street opposite Central Car Auctions) on its south side. I haven't had a look at this section of burn for donkeys years - last time I visited it was heavily overgrown and there was very little flow in it (it wasn't much more than a ditch in truth).
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby D17AVD » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:56 pm

I just presumed that the canal had been filled in, I never knew that it was piped.
D17AVD
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Monkland Canal pipeline

Postby Glesga_Steve » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:04 am

Yeah, it's piped (double pipe actually) all the way from the field to the east of Cuilhill Road (if my study window was 20ft higher I would probably be able to see where it goes into the pipes!) to Port Dundas basin.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Monkland Canal pipeline

Postby Icecube » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:46 am

Glesga_Steve wrote:(if my study window was 20ft higher I would probably be able to see where it goes into the pipes!)

Put the ladder away Steve :D

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1401165
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby toomse » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:06 pm

route of Tollcross Burn

Commonhead Farm field

heading south east

toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Icecube » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:40 pm

A photo of the natural spring which I took some years ago on a Sunday afternoon walk around Commonhead fields.

The position from Birds Eye - just as Toomse's plans state.

And the burn from the banking of the (filled in) Monkland canal just as it enters the culvert to go under it (built in 1772 under the instructions of James Watt). The ditch that Toomse mentioned comes in from the direction of Heatheryknowe to join the Tollcross, M73 on the right.

Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:57 pm

Here's a map of the Molendinar as it was in the early 19th century. Well, a composite image at least.
Preview:

Awfy large version: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb28 ... Route2.jpg
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:17 pm

The Hunterean Museum, Glasgow Uni and the Botanic Gardens all off High Street? Well seen the West End hadn't been built (much) yet.

The Antiburgher Meeting House on Duke Street sounds intriguing...
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:29 pm

A remarkably foresighted protest group, campaigning against the arrival of fast food in 160 years' time. (Actually there's a "New Light Burgher Meeting House" just off New Gallowgate as marked, slightly missed out on the picture. The fun they must have had.)

I guess this was slightly before the big flit west, like you way. Speaking of the lack of a west end, this was only just being built up, re: Grahamston (or Grahamestone as called here):
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:31 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:A remarkably foresighted protest group, campaigning against the arrival of fast food in 160 years' time. (Actually there's a "New Light Burgher Meeting House" just off New Gallowgate as marked, slightly missed out on the picture. The fun they must have had.)

They didn't half. I've just spent a mildly entertaining half hour following along just one of the schismatic branches.

From Wiki :

The Anti-Burghers were opponents of the Burgher Oath on theological grounds.

In 1733 the first secession from the Church of Scotland resulted in the creation of the "Associate Presbytery". This church split in 1747 over the issue of the Burgher Oath, which required holders of public offices to affirm approval of the religion "presently professed in this kingdom". The issue was civil compulsion in religious affairs (which, it can be argued, can be seen partly in the context of a post-Battle of Culloden (1746) panic by the Hanoverian government), but was effectively a forerunner of the arguments over the separation of church and state. Opponents of the Burgher Oath on theological grounds became known as the Anti-Burghers — showing a distinctive independence of conviction and an unwillingness to compromise over sincerely held beliefs. The Burgher and Anti-Burgher factions thus formed rival, independent synods.

Eventually both the Burghers and Anti-Burghers had further splits, the Burghers in 1798 and the Anti-Burghers in 1806. Both factions formed their own, separate "Auld Licht" (old light) and "New Licht" factions. The more Calvinistic "Auld Lichts" held to the obligations of the Solemn League and Covenant, the "New Lichts" were more theologically liberal — a notable and continuing influence in the post-1847 United Presbyterian Church of Scotland.

In 1820, the New Licht Anti-Burghers and the New Licht Burghers united as the United Secession Church, which in turn united with the Relief Church in 1847 to create the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland, which united with most of the Free Church of Scotland in 1900 to create the United Free Church of Scotland, most of whom ultimately united with the Church of Scotland in 1929.

The Anti-Burgher Auld Lichts became part of the United Original Secession Church in 1822, which split in 1852, one party joining in the Free Church of Scotland, the others finally reuniting with the Church of Scotland in 1956.

If the Auld/New Licht split took place in 1806, then the map must have been bang up to date.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:44 pm

I sat through entire lectures devoted to such hellish matters in Scottish History 2. I didn't explore it too much, and have successfully managed to forget most of it. There's a diagram kicking about, outlining all the wee angry schisms (and random reconciliations) that went on; it looks like Darwinism gone all wrong.

One thing that annoys me when looking at maps of 1800-ish is that photography hadn't been invented. It's the most annoyingly slight insight into how things looked.
Lucky Poet
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects