Glasgow River Festival 25 - 26 July 2009

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgow River Festival 25 - 26 July 2009

Postby Mori » Sat May 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Glasgow River Festival
25 - 26 July 2009
River Clyde

http://www.glasgowriverfestival.co.uk/lo/index.htm

The hugely popular Glasgow River Festival provides a colourful opportunity to celebrate the past, present and future of Glasgow's historic waterfront with two days of free family entertainment. A mixture of water and land activities and entertainment in and around the SECC, Glasgow Science Centre and The Tall Ship 'Glenee'.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow River Festival 25 - 26 July 2009

Postby Mori » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:43 pm

Mori wrote:
ET

Life’s a beach – in Glasgow!

River Festival

Edit : yep thanks OYT dont know how i done that ... rectified.
Last edited by Mori on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:46 pm

River Festival

The link got malformed.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:57 pm

SPT is providing free shuttle buses to the River Festival from Glasgow city centre and beyond.
SPT

PDF Timetable.

The Glasgow River Festival returns to the Clyde this summer on 25 and 26 July, providing a colourful opportunity to celebrate the past, present and future of this historic waterfront.
SPT will be providing FREE shuttle bus services from Glasgow city centre and beyond
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:55 pm

Did the river festival in 2007, both days, was quite good weather wasntthe greatest but anyione whos not too sure i would go along.

Few sets from 2007
>>Duck Race 2007<<
>>All things Boats<<
>>River related theme<<
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Anyone who can combine the faux pas traits of Fossil & Jonno in one post is ok in my book, well done, Tobes. ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:27 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Anyone who can combine the faux pas traits of Fossil & Jonno in one post is ok in my book, well done, Tobes. ::):

class ::):
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby papa lazarou » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Does nobody else feel that the river festival was a bit of a damp squib (pardon the pun) this year. I went about 2pm on the Saturday and granted the weather probably caused the numbers to swell but it was just chaos on the southbank. Next to Bells bridge there was a gap just wide enough to get a pram through in order to pass from the STV to the bbc building. Did they really have to have that truck parked next to the riverbank? Additionally, the police were herding people westwards next to the bbc building (with no chance to see the farmers market) and eastwards next to the boat. I overheard some police saying it was too busy and an accident waiting to happen. Meanwhile the PA advises those who haven't seen it yet to get over to the farmers market!
The Millenium bridge and Bells bridges were so busy that I couldn't get the wean's pram over either so had to go down onto Govan road to get back to the water...only to find that the stairwell at the squinty bridge has been closed and you cannot go underneath the bridge!!!!
Surely the powers that should have factored in for numbers increasing year on year and so should spread out the entertainment to make it utilise more of the river.
papa lazarou
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby wee minxy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:49 pm

I went last year papa lazarou, and was pretty disappointed then, losts of people walking about with nothing to do :( . The jet skiers seem to be the main attraction.
I didn't go this year as I got good pics last time of what I wanted. Very, very busy, and yes we were all herded like cattle. I remember last year lots of talk about wheelchair access etc, it must have been murder for people in them being able to see anything at all.
wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby papa lazarou » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:53 pm

I said something similar last year http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7234. The council just don't seem to have the desire to make it a really interesting festival. I totally agree that other than jet skis and watching the sky plane land there isn't much else to do.
papa lazarou
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:07 am

From talking to people on the train on sat heading to it, i think most went as the weather on sunday was forecast to be minging (technical term), and for the early part of the day it was.

What i saw of it on sat on trains in/outta charing cross it looked pretty heaving.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bobrobert » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:10 am

papa lazarou wrote:Does nobody else feel that the river festival was a bit of a damp squib (pardon the pun) this year. I went about 2pm on the Saturday and granted the weather probably caused the numbers to swell but it was just chaos on the southbank. Next to Bells bridge there was a gap just wide enough to get a pram through in order to pass from the STV to the bbc building. Did they really have to have that truck parked next to the riverbank? Additionally, the police were herding people westwards next to the bbc building (with no chance to see the farmers market) and eastwards next to the boat. I overheard some police saying it was too busy and an accident waiting to happen. Meanwhile the PA advises those who haven't seen it yet to get over to the farmers market!
The Millenium bridge and Bells bridges were so busy that I couldn't get the wean's pram over either so had to go down onto Govan road to get back to the water...only to find that the stairwell at the squinty bridge has been closed and you cannot go underneath the bridge!!!!
Surely the powers that should have factored in for numbers increasing year on year and so should spread out the entertainment to make it utilise more of the river.

You are spot on with your post. I was caught up at the BBC building. The foot bridge to the west had one way traffic north to south and nobody could go the other way. People were coming westwards at the BBC and a lot of people were trapped and couldn't move because the police wouldn't allow it. When I complained to the police they said it was badly planned The attractions were fewer than usual so people kept moving about Hopefully better next year?
bobrobert
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby scaryman2u » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Just how hard is it to organise and supervise an event ? It looks like they never learn, last year was a fiasco and I escaped over the bells bridge for a pleasant wander around Partick and the West end. Fortunatley this year I was up north and avoided the hassle.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Forum Archive