Advertising Hoarding / Billboards

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Advertising Hoarding / Billboards

Postby Sharon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:24 pm

Does anyone have any idea how much it cost to have one of these???

I've always quite fancied having one just to put up fun messages or nice pictures. Nothing to do with the site, just thing to make people smile or wonder!!!

Not that i can imagine actally ever affording it...but you never know...someday...

Also, where would the best place for one of these be i wonder...????

(initially inspired by stories about A.E. Pickard)
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Targer » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:11 pm

:roll: An interesting article on hoarding in yesterdays telegraph.co.uk re Why it pays to put on a bold front by Christopher Middleton. Certainly a new way to propote advertising, sales, interest etc. A change from the usual boring standard boards.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:13 pm

Do you have a link Targer?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:26 pm

Got it...had to register first though!!!

There have been attempts at this sort of thing in Glasgow...I seem to recall a bus queue being painted on a board round a building site at a bus stop in the city centre (i forget where). Anyone remember this?

This wasnt quite what i have in mind. I fancy doing something in what is traditionally advertising space that has nothing to do with anything really... just using the space for good!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cumbo » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:41 pm

The painted on bus Q was on the hording surrounding what is now
Glasgows most ugly building The Glass House in Stockwell St
I watched the Guy Paint It for a couple of days .He looked like an old art teacher. I must say it was a fine peice of street art
I know what you are after I saw an advert in Rutherglen recently
wishing some poor girl a happy 40th birthday IT was only up a couple of days so I guess it,s the leanth of time that dictates the cost.
what about the new screen above central?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:49 pm

God i hate to imagine how much that costs to advertise on!!

But wouldn't it be fun if it just had friendly messages on it...or maybe some nice photographs or some poetry... replace coca cola with a simple "Hello Glasgow, how are you today?"
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:53 pm

Its an interesting article in the telegraph too...to save you all the hassle of registration...

Why it pays to put on a bold front
(Filed: 06/03/2004)

Hoardings are no longer blots on the urban landscape. They're hip, eye-catching and even have their own annual awards. Christopher Middleton reports

If you want to see Tim Henman winning Wimbledon, now is the time to visit the All England Club. All right, so the championships aren't on for a few months, but the next best thing is a 12ft-high image of the British Number One in celebratory mode, surrounded by 10ft tall ball girls and 2ft-high strawberries.

Centre board: the hoardings at Wimbledon

The tableau stretches for 30 yards along Church Road, hiding unsightly building works (new museum, ready in 2006), and attracting small clusters of admiring visitors beneath it. A hoarding, yes, but one which presents a friendlier face than the standard, battleship-grey boards and "Keep Out" signs. Why, it's even made of a meshy, string-vest-type material, to let the breeze through.

No surprise, then, that it has just been commended in the Outdoor Display section for this year's Pamadas (Property, Advertising, Marketing and Design Awards), the property industry's Oscars. First place went to the 100ft-high architectural engraving currently swathing St Paul's Cathedral, and a cluster of sky-gazing figures at the foot of Centrepoint was also commended.

What is surprising, though, is that so few developers in the private housing market decide to go for these crowd-pleasing displays, rather than the familar, bog-standard boards.

"Three things put them off," says Jo Wood, of The Sign Company. "First, they can't get planning permission. Second, they like the idea of a wacky hoarding, but when it comes to it they lose their nerve. And third, they're frightened by the cost."

All subjects on which Wood is well-placed to pronounce, since it was his company that created arguably the most memorable site hoarding ever - the legendary "King's Road Books".

These were outsize, fibreglass tomes that lined King's Road, in Chelsea, during the late 1990s. Their basic function was to hide the work being done on the old King's College library site, where 500,000 sq ft of former academic institution were being turned into 289 private apartments.

"Those books generated infinitely more sales inquiries than any other form of marketing we employed," says John Hunter, of co-developers Northacre. "Which was just as well, really, seeing as they cost us about £350,000. At that point on King's Road, there's an awful lot of people passing by."

It's not just in metropolitan areas that this applies. "When you're building a new housing development, you find that of the people who buy into it, a very high percentage will be local," says Ann Crick, who is marketing two new Gleesons Homes developments in Crawley and Christ's Hospital, West Sussex.

"By putting up a big, bold hoarding, you're shouting to the people in that area that you've arrived. You can even use the hoardings as a giant newspaper, announcing when the development will be finished and updating people on how many homes you've sold already." All too often, of course, the end result is not so much bold as boring. The current identikit trend is for hoardings to look like glossy magazine spreads, featuring huge, soupy words such as "Passion" or "Lifestyle", alongside photographs of twentysomethings on leather sofas.

The King's Road Books: shouting that you've arrived

Notable recent exceptions have been the hoardings at Wimpey's Eluna apartments, in Shadwell, east London - where they served as an impromptu gallery, displaying the work of local artist Janet Brooke. Just as arresting (and another Pamada nominee) was the towering mural by Marcus Warren, of Kugel Design, showing how the red-brick apartments at Trevor Square, in Knightsbridge, would look when they were finished.

There is no question that, as well as merely announcing a development's existence, an imaginative hoarding can help to give it a personality. Whole sections of the King's Road hoarding have been preserved by enthusiastic collectors, much like fragments of the Berlin Wall.

Jo Wood's latest creation is an outsize pair of feet at Paddington Basin, in west London, designed to underline the fact that the development is within walking distance of Paddington station.

"Around the time David Blaine was in his box at Tower Bridge, we hoisted up a giant shoe in a large perspex case, to reinforce that walking distance thing," he says. "Again, it brought a lot of buyers in. My next project is cranes. All those hundreds of feet of tower, visible for miles. They're just begging for something creative to be done with them."

• St Paul's Cathedral - Mega Profile: 020 7580 9777, http://www.megaprofile.com; King's Road Books - The Sign Company: 0800 3288099, thesigncompany.co.uk; Wimbledon Tennis - Icon Display: 020 8302 4921, http://www.icondisplay.co.uk; Pamadas: 020 7813 2397, pamada.org.uk
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby duncan » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:30 pm

sharon, you're maybe worth giving JC Decaux or someone else a quick call. I suspect you could hire one for a couple of weeks on a not-too prominent site for a reasonable fee. They're priced on size (number of sheets), obviously, with a few standard sizes. Can't remember the details, but it's like 14-sheet, 28-sheet, 60-sheet or somesuch. You'd probably then have to pay extra for your posters to be made up and glued up there. Don't know if they'll let you just write directly on it - perhaps they could plaster blank sheets on then you do what you like.

Coincidentally I'd thought of doing something similar at one point.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:43 pm

Sharon: I see you managed to find Telegraph article. It does give an idea of costs. Another interesting use they point out is to hide ugly construction sites and get the benifit of advertising etc. I see a lot of scope for business with this scheme.? :roll:
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:10 pm

hmmm...theres milage in this idea. I'll get prices tommorrow. Perhaps for boards of South Street (not sure there are any) but that could maybe host some kindof retrospective on the Granary...or somekind of comment on what's coming... thinking cap is now on.

(mostly i'd like a humour angle...it there is one to be had)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kn0wledge » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:46 pm

Are you going to do something hg.com related?
Eat a ham for Jesus.
kn0wledge
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:06 am

myabe Glasgow needs a bit of these:

Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sharon » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:15 am

I wasn't really planning on anything specifically HG related, but it'll probally be down those lines .....

Latest thoughts are again on South St (must check if there are boards there) would be to paste up a photograph...of the view accross the river the new development is now blocking.

Or, to spread blatant lies "one in five car drivers are blind!" (except funnier :? )

Or, to create some kind of myth (more lies)... "in 1763 a local farmer dug up the remains of a six legged dinosaur."

Or, "you are actually only one inch tall with delusions of granduer".

I'd prefer not to go down the adbusters route.

So more daft ideas please !
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby duncan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:45 am

http://www.jcdecaux.co.uk/products/large/index.cfm

detailed prices:
http://www.jcdecaux.co.uk/ratecards/largeformat2004.pdf
[this made absolutely no sense to me, but presumably if you're an advertising buyer it has some meaning]
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:47 am

Sharon wrote:So more daft ideas please !

my idea was to get some nice graffiti painted on them
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)