Savoy Centre Renewal

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Savoy Centre Renewal

Postby Mori » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:13 pm

The Auld Swavy getting a new look. :D

BBC

New jobs in £80m shopping revamp

More than 900 new jobs could be created under plans for an £80m redevelopment of Glasgow's Savoy Centre.
Owners, Belfast-based PBN Properties, will put its proposals before the city council this week.
The plans cover a complete revamp of the Sauchiehall Street centre which will incorporate a 221-bed hotel and 6,000 sq metres of office space.
A new "iconic" tower could also be built on the corner of Renfrew Street and Hope Street.
This would include plans for restaurants on the 16th and 30th floors with panoramic views across the city.
PBN Properties said the scheme would also involve the removal of the "unsightly" pedestrian bridge in Renfrew Street in front of the Royal Scottish Academy for Music and Drama.
The firm said it expected that up to 200 jobs would be created during construction.
More than 900 new jobs would follow on completion - with 200 in the hotel, 650 within the office units and a further 90 within the restaurants.
PBN's property director, Damien Mitchell, said: "The Savoy has been part of the city centre landscape for over 30 years.
"We believe the time has now come to revive, modernise and expand the centre's offering."
The proposals would allow for the "potential retention" of existing tenants.
The ground floor and first floor retail units in the centre would also be upgraded, with improved access between Sauchiehall Street and Renfrew Street.
Scott Taylor, chief executive of Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, said: "If Glasgow intends to compete and win on a world stage, it needs to continue to attract major investments such as this.
"The inclusion of a hotel within these plans will further enhance the city's ability to meet growing demand, especially in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games in 2014."
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Savoy Centre Renewal

Postby penguinmonkey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:29 pm

anyone else thinks this looks like an architectural version vapourware?
It's always funny 'til someone gets hurt and then it's just hilarious
penguinmonkey
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:46 pm

::): ::): Do you think they will rename it 'CHINATOWN'.........think about it...!
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:31 am

Gosh .... imagine that .... urban development in a city :mrgreen:
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:32 am

fourbytwo wrote:::): ::): Do you think they will rename it 'CHINATOWN'.........think about it...!

I bought my "Dennis the Menace" coffee mug at the
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby fourbytwo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:09 pm

8O The title 'CHINATOWN' was an observation that currently about 50% of the traders are from the local Chinese community, and with such an increase of Chinese buying up the houses/flats around the Art School and down to Cambridge Street.......it should not take too wide a view to see the 'New Savoy Centre" becoming....CHINATOWN
fourbytwo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:08 pm

and with such an increase of Chinese buying up the houses/flats around the Art School and down to Cambridge Street..

Evidence please of any increase.

Do you understand what an increase is?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:52 pm

I would be surprised if the percentage of people of Chinese origin/descent wasn''t actually decreasing in Garnethill. They're not even the largest minority.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Haggis » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:20 am

It would be a good idea to make chinatown more visable ,By building a huge chinatown gate near savoy area cambridge st /sauchie maybe! The gate under the m8 as nice as it is is small and tucked away,It would help regenerate that area,
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:33 am

Chinatown in Newcastle has a vibrancy and atmosphere lacking in ours.Good quality resturants and bars to suit all budgets.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun May 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:18 pm

ET
Savoy plans get the green light

AN £80million plan to transform the "eyesore" Savoy Centre into a soaring glass tower has been given the go-ahead.
Glasgow planning boss Shaukat Butt said he hoped other developers would now come forward with ambitious plans for the city.
Belfast company PBN Holdings has been given permission to create a landmark 32-storey hotel and office bloc.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:00 pm

As a confused and ex Glaswegian I have a couple of questions;

Is the Savoy Centre not slap bang in the middle of Sauchiehall St ? somewhere next to HMV and Thorntons where the old Gaumont used to be - I can't visualise this big "iconic" building in there!
Also will the other tall "iconic" building be where the depressing Burger King and previous to that the old Scottish Electricity shop was?
Finally, will they leave the ugly BHS building standing opposite like a an ugly sore thumb?

Having said all that I'm quite excited :)
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 pm

The current building, showing the high-rise to be recladded (or whatever).

The new high-rise will start broadly where the bridge joins the building.

I don't really know what "a new civic space created outside the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama" can mean. There'll be, at most, nine or ten square metres of space created by the removal of the pedestrian bridge, and there's not that much space there now. Unless "civic space" means pavement.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Ahh I'm with you now I was squinting ( from memory) from the Sauchiehall St end and of course memory can be quite selective I had completely forgotten about the 60's tower monstrosity that exists even despite the fact I remember it being built :roll:

Thanks Josef
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Development