Dundee

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Dundee

Postby Bing Buzby » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Yep, criminally overlooked.

Scotrail wrote a tourist guide a few years back which went along the lines ('scuse the pun) of; Edinburgh - Great castle, Royal Mile etc, Glasgow - Willow tea room, University etc, Strirling - Castle.... and so on about all mainline towns & cities. Then Dundee - A great base from which to explore the rest of Scotland.

Always found it easy to get along with Dundonians, they are not up their own estuary, unlike natives of some other places in Scotland.
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Bless Scotrail ::):

I should declare an interest: I was born there (in the D.R.I., for any lovers of 80's U.S. hardcore/garage), and sort of half brought up there (long story). It's a cool wee underdog place, I reckon, having had more than its share of problems over the years... not least its own Corporation/Council, though that's not so unusual :wink:
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Bing Buzby » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Hope the re-development of the DRI site is of a suitable calibre. The location and panorama the main building shouldn't be wasted on cheap ass flats. Any takers for a 5 star Dudhope Hotel?
Bing Buzby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:14 am

The DRI thing always sounded a bit dubious to me. I'm not up there often enough to know what's what though, sadly. I should do that Google thing and see if anything's actually happened there in the last ten years, other than it being sold off to a mysterious businessman for not much money in the mid 90s. As for Dudhope Castle... I dunno, the army could move back in? The Current Economic Climate is a bummer.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dot » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:06 pm

Haven't actually watched it yet but see Dundee features on this weeks programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 31_Dundee/
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:55 pm

Showing my age a bit, I remember the Antiques Roadshow in Dundee the last time, with Arthur Negus as the main man. My brother and my dad went down to the Caird Hall for a nosey; I couldn't be arsed, and hung around wi my gran watching a Thunderbirds rerun instead.

PS that clip was one of the worst intros I've ever seen! Seriously, like jute and the bloody Discovery are all Dundee ever was... (It's not true. Honest!)
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby draugelis » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 pm

LP - superb photies (again)! I've got to say that to me Dundee has always been the traffic jam on the way up to Aberdeen but the pictures put a real gloss on the place. I had a boss who came from the city and he introduced me to Wallaces' "pehs" and bridies, and despite not being from Forfar, the bridies were truly scrumptious!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:28 pm

What a great selection of photos.
Dundeeonians are such a kind-hearted race. Went to Dundee United v Dundee game at Tannadice. Ball was rolling out for a corner. Wee ball boy ran on pitch and picked it up before going out of play. Referee gave him such a talking to. Thought poor wee guy was going to be given a red card. At least he got a huge cheer when he resumed his position at side of the park. Gave me such a laugh.
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:31 am

Flattery will get you nowhere :wink:
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dot » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:15 pm

LP,

Sorry about that link and if I am ever in Dundee would like to see that Mystery Door thing for myself.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Seriously, like jute and the bloody Discovery are all Dundee ever was... (It's not true. Honest!)

Aye, there's jam and journalism.

Up till the fifties or sixties, jute was virtually the sole export of Bangladesh. And Dundee was virtually the sole importer.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:53 pm

Dot wrote:Sorry about that link and if I am ever in Dundee would like to see that Mystery Door thing for myself.

No no, thanks for posting it! The rest of it was grand, it was just Fiona Bruce's intro was entertainingly crap :D
Josef wrote:Aye, there's jam and journalism.

Up till the fifties or sixties, jute was virtually the sole export of Bangladesh. And Dundee was virtually the sole importer.

True, but the place was there long before jute took off; I just wish it could have added a sentence or two about the non-obvious stuff. It doesn't help that I was reading a book on the town's history a few weeks back. (Lost Dundee, damn good it was too.) Still, things like this explain why I'll never have a career in TV - the intro to the city would have taken up the first 50 minutes of the show.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Josef » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:10 pm

I wasn't meaning to imply that the Antiques Roadshow intro had it right, btw. I was....... just saying. :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:29 pm

I know, man :D
Such is telly I guess: if it was Glasgow, it'd be shipbuilding and slums; Edinburgh would be big castle and Georgian hooses...

PS Dot, I meant to say Mystery Door Thing is on Castle Street, should you find yourself in the neighbourhood.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Dot » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:17 pm

LP,

Thanks for that.

Talking of Fiona Bruce I see she is on BBC iplayer thing in 'Who do you think you are' or whatever it is called.

Saw this earlier on today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 881894.stm
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Around the World