Madhouses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Madhouses

Postby downward_spiral » Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:00 am

:twisted:

Ahem.. yes. Appropriate smiley though!

Does anyone happen to have a detailed list of mental homes that exist(ed) in the Glasgow area, or indeed, even central Scotland?

So far I know of Woodilee, Lennox Castle, Bellsdyke, Gartloch, Gartnavel, Leverndale, and the RSNH in Larbert.

Bonus points if anyone can tell me if any parts of any others are still standing, in any shape or form.

Cheers.
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Madhouses

Postby STURDEE » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:12 am

Try the Heatherbank Museum of Social Work at Glasgow Caledonian University on Cowcaddens Road.Entrance off the pedestrian crossing at the Bus Station entrance. :D
STURDEE
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby downward_spiral » Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:09 am

Thanks. Just so happens I'm at caley, with the building in front of me as I type this :). Not been into Heatherbank so far though, will have to go in for a wee look.

I do know they're running an exhibition about Lennox Castle from 11th November, which should be worth checking out.
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby battles » Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:17 pm

Not sure if I'm going to get booed off for mentioning Edinburgh, but here goes...

One of the campuses of my old Uni in Edinburgh was (still is?) a 'madhouse', complete with tunnel complex for secure passage of crazies.

As well as studying there I did part-time IT support, so I had (reasonable) justification for wandering around and I got to know most of the security guys. Most areas are now locked up (some of the doors look un-burstable) but I did get to see some tunnels and a room I now suspect to be a motuary.

One of the other campuses was a WW1 war hospital so it was similarly huge and warren-like, but almost all of it was in daily use and had been modernised.

Cheers,
Battles
battles
Just settling in
Just settling in

edinburgh

Postby scott » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:11 pm

hiya battles!
recognised the name from jinx, im aka mbf!
if you have any nice places worth visiting up your way, id be interested in knowing! im living in bristol but we are less than an hour away by plane from here and its cheap as chips to get to edinburgh!

id love to have a peep at some old mental hospitals, ive been in a couple (visiting, not having been admitted!) just missed out on one in bristol as they had security crawling all over from the day it closed. oh well, theres always more!

take care!
scott :wink:
scott
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby battles » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:35 am

Scott/mbf,
How you doing?
Nice to find friendlies in a new board.

There are loads of locations in Edinburgh (other towns/cities, too) that I like going to, but I don't think they'd hold the same appeal for a visitor. Mostly, they're only interesting to me because I've spent years seeing and walking by them every day.

Having a look at the Uni campus that used to be a madhouse shouldn't be a problem, it's easy to bluff the rent-a-cop security guards.

More interesting, in terms of the challenge and the site, is the old Gogarburn Hospital. It was a mental health treatment unit intil 1999. It's in pretty bad shape, but access is quite easy and I've only been challenged once while visiting. It's used as a pass through by cyclists and dog walkers.
There are some reasonably freaky sights around the site. An annexe that looks like it was a nursery because of the multi-coloured hand painting on the windows. But then I noticed that the hand prints were bigger than mine. Some of the art, probably by the inmates, in the recreation centre is quite disturbing.
Overall, the place has the look of a disaster film, where the people all ran away suddenly.

There are lots of reasons to come and visit Scotland, UE might be a small part of it.

Cheers,
Battles
battles
Just settling in
Just settling in

edinburgh

Postby scott » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:15 pm

hi battles mate!

the hospital sounds nice, shame it aint victorian or else itd be bound to have the old system tunnels that link into all the old buildings. is it still accessible though or has it got security, or been redeveloped yet?
i had a look at the old planning applications, but they dont say all that much!
have you also had a look at Barnton Quarry Rotor SOC and RSG
NT203748
Clermiston Road
Edinburgh
??

i understand its been quite badly vandalised but wonder whether its still openish?

anyway, take care! might get up your way some time and check out the scottish places!

scott
:wink:
its better to have looked and got lost, than never to have looked at all.
scott
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby battles » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:35 pm

Scott,
The hospital is very easy to get into. The guards seem to have made the bigger of the two older blocks their home and they're quite reluctant to leave it. There are signs at the main gate about development and the whole site shows signs of having been inspected.
Towards the rear/west of the site one building has been completely covered in scaffolding, suggesting redevelopment.

My usual cycling/UE buddy has just recovered from a busted elbow (ouch!), so a trip to the hospital with a camera may be on the cards.

The quarry on Clermiston Road is a City Council depot. By spooky coincidence, I was there a few weeks ago through my work. Loads of vehicles and equipment are stored on site, so it's security central.
The office I was at is at the front of the site and I had no reason to go any further into the site for a look.
Where did you hear about it?

Battles
battles
Just settling in
Just settling in

Barnton Quarry Rotor SOC and RSG

Postby scott » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:10 pm

the Barnton Quarry Rotor SOC and RSG site is listed on the subterranea britanica site and also in nick mccamleys book - cold war secret nuclear bunkers. shame the place is now being used :(

have fun in at the hospital, and let us know how it goes!
its better to have looked and got lost, than never to have looked at all.
scott
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JayKay » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:47 pm

Stoneyetts Hospital in Moodiesburn, just outside Glasgow was another.

I visited the site the other week while dog walking, and the buildings are no longer standing, but there is still a fairly long tree-lined avenue (complete with street lamps that are no longer working) leading to the site.

The hospital has been demolished, but the site is fairly evident, with some low walls, foundations and concrete steps still there.

Perhaps the strangest thing though is that in this site of rural/urban dereliction, what I guess must have been the hospital's bowling green remains perfectly intact.

It is in a securly fenced off compound, and although, the "club house" building (which looks original) seems to have suffered some fire damage and is boarded up (although this may just be another security measure), the lawn is in perfect condition and looks well-maintained and cared for.

I intend to visit the site again in the next few weeks, perhaps even take a few pictures.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby battles » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:37 pm

JayKay,
If the buidings are gone, is there access to any basements?
Most hospitals are built with tunnels to avoid having to take patients outside (especially if it was an asylum).

Battles
battles
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:40 pm

Now that would make it interesting to visit!

S
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby battles » Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:18 pm

My mission to photograph the Gogarburn Hospital has been postponed by an impromptu blizzard.
I thought we'd escaped the snow+ice, but no joy.

Sharon,
If I get some decent photographs, can you make them available?

Cheers,
Battles
battles
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:31 am

I certainly could :D

It would kick off a new project for the website.

Sharon
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby battles » Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:15 pm

The photos may be difficult to get...
A guy on the Jinx board reports that the hospital is now a big hole in the ground. Boo....
I'll take a ride out and see if any of the other areas of the site are still standing, photos may follow.

The lesson here might be to record these things and get a good look while they're still around.

On a brighter note...
I'm hoping to take a look at the site in Gartloch, near Gartcosh. Could be due for redevelopment work soon. Local knowledge would be appreciated, as would the company of any previous visitors.
Any takers?

Cheers,
Battles
---
[email protected]
---
battles
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)