Best place to get free old computer equipment?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby caine » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:23 am

get her on osx!!!!! ::):

as far as old macs go, i've got a few, but might not be suitable. i dont have the keyboards or monitors, just the units.

there is always my mac classic, but thats in storageat my mums place. no-one gets to use that though. its my wee baby!
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:31 am

caine wrote:get her on osx!!!!! ::):

You can't use AT EASE on X unfortunatly - I like it because it talks to you and gives you the name of the program you are running - handy if the user can't read too well yet.

They cut this functionality out in At Eases replacment 'multiple users' and that sucks balls in my opinion!

Also, although I have overclocked this iMac to 266 - it's still not upto OS/x standards - it's complete GUI obsessed bloatware and would run like a slug.

:(

Anyways, Ebay isn't too bad for Macs. I got a Performa 5200 All in One which I upgraded to a 200Mhz Power PC for £40.

Who says you can't hardware hack a mac ?

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:10 am

Performa 5200 was my first 'powerful' mac - 75MHz Processor, 64Megs of RAM and an 800MB Hard drive... Now I have Dual G4 CPU's, 1024MB of RAM, 180GB Hard drive... and I want more, more, more!!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:42 am

There a fella at polmadie car boot sale who has loads of what your lookin for. he has loads of old bits of computers, macs, spectrums, commodores the lot, he is cheap as well, his stall is huge and near the entrance, it full of junk and old record players and stuff, you cant miss it.

Stevie
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:04 am

I've got plenty of old Macs lying around at home, some of them may well be 040s, but I can't quite remember. If I get a chance when I'm home at the weekend, I'll post a wee list of what I've got - the 'working' list definitely includes a IIsi or two, possibly some variety of LC, and some early PowerPCs too.

Oh, and a Motorola Starmax, but I'm going to make that into a server of my own at some point in the (possibly distant) future.

Incidentally, lots of this came from the auction that Carpe Diem's liquidators held, many many years ago. I got a Newton 120 out of the deal too, but my mate who owns a Mac shop currently has that. So do you know Mike too, grum?
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:43 am

martin wrote:So do you know Mike too, grum?

:) yeah I know Mike, that's my mate with the Mac shop too!

Carpe Diem... now that brings back memories!
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby exdurandal » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:52 pm

purplegrum wrote:

just for reference, there's a mac store down ruthven lane, used to be called camelot and looked like a shed, has recently been taken over and is now called thinkmac and has seriously got its act together! useful place for finding anything you need really ;)
exdurandal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby purplegrum » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:34 pm

exdurandal wrote:
purplegrum wrote:

just for reference, there's a mac store down ruthven lane, used to be called camelot and looked like a shed, has recently been taken over and is now called thinkmac and has seriously got its act together! useful place for finding anything you need really ;)

Occasionally they'll be a good looking knowledgeable guy in there, you'll know by his silver car parked outside...
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby exdurandal » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:32 am

purplegrum wrote:
exdurandal wrote:
purplegrum wrote:

Occasionally they'll be a good looking knowledgeable guy in there, you'll know by his silver car parked outside...

yeah.. its a silver robin reliant.. well more grey than silver.. with an orange door.. and some pink furry dice..
exdurandal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby purplegrum » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:28 am

exdurandal wrote:yeah.. its a silver robin reliant.. well more grey than silver.. with an orange door.. and some pink furry dice..

Yeah... babe magnet.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby martin » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:56 am

purplegrum wrote:Occasionally they'll be a good looking knowledgeable guy in there, you'll know by his silver car parked outside...

Wow.. how did you know what colour my car was?
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby exdurandal » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:10 pm

martin wrote:Wow.. how did you know what colour my car was?

your car was once silver.. before you scraped all the paint off it :)
exdurandal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Random Distractions