Canon Cartridges

Talk about equipment such as cameras, accessories & storage, lighting and lenses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Canon Cartridges

Postby scottwramsay » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:16 pm

I feel a wee bit guilty about starting this thread but it's not technically purely photography equipment so I didn't stick it in the sticky-thread at the top of the list. Moderators: I won't be offended if you disagree :D .

So here's the thing: does anyone know the difference between a regular old colour cartridge and a photo cartridge as Canon define them? I've got a Pixma MP610 and it's built and sold as a photo printer, advertised to take the regular colour ones (plus an extra black cartridge for plain old document printing).

But now I see that alongside the regular magenta (code CLI-8M) you can buy a "photomagenta" (code CLI-8PM). I can't for the life of me find out what's different (not even the price, although the compatibility list for the fancy one is shorter). And what's more puzzling is that I can only find these new versions in magenta and cyan unless I go searching abroad.

Anyone got any experience with 'em?

(P.S. I know I said that my MP610 was advertised as taking the regular flavour, but it's in the compatibility lists for the photo ones.)
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Canon Cartridges

Postby Peetabix » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:29 pm

I think the photo ink can print colours more in line with any colour profiles you have installed for the printer. Normal ink doesn't have the same range. I hope that's not too far out.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:05 am

photo ones i think are pigment dye, should last longer & have brighter colours. Oh if i remember correctly they have slightly less ink
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:50 pm

I bought myself a Canon MP620 the other week and am now lost in a labyrinthine nightmare of ICC profiles, Lightroom settings and paper choices. Waah! 8O
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Return to Equipment