Glasgow department stores

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow department stores

Postby alzaman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:55 am

I have fond memories of Goldbergs, because my parents went there a lot due to the fact they had a Style Card, which was more or less, at least in those days, exclusive to Goldbergs only.

Found this on how it currently looks:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flickrphotos/sets/72157594186399824/

Slideshow of Above:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flickrphotos/sets/72157594186399824/show/with/181146759/

Also here for some adverts:

http://www.glasgowpictures.co.uk/glasgowpictu-231.html
alzaman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:36 am

For those that want to see a larger photo format when you visit Flickr, you will have to open an account (the account is free)

1. go to: https://edit.europe.yahoo.com/registration to open a yahoo or ymail account
2. once you have registered go to http://www.flickr.com and sign up to flickr. all you do is create a name and password, thats all
3. when you have your account that will allow you view photos in all sizes. The 'ALL SIZES' menu is just above the photo
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:46 pm

Robbo wrote:Does anyone happen to have any photos of the Christmas window displays that were in most of the department stores in the 60s and 70s especially Lewis's or Arnotts/Frasers?

Cheers

This has been posted before, but there's a tiny segment of Lewis's at Christmas at around timeframe 8.18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lIfubhHZDQ
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 pm

and not a hi-vis in sight. Who needs health and safety anyway?
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby munchinmac » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:59 pm

Have just read through this thread with great interest.

I think that the gated lift with attendant that Tommy was asking about on page one wasn't a dept store at all but the entrance 'close' to several different shops. It was between Boots and the side entrance to Frasers on the Argyle Street side. Is it not the building that had the statues of 'Atlas' on each side and would lead you up to, as I remember in the 80's, to Remnant Kings which was in the first floor but there were shops and offices on the other floors?

I also worked in Lewis's in 1980/1981, working in the 5th floor Cafeteria on Saturdays for the princely wage of £14 for the day. I started out as a trolley dolly, clearing up the dirty tables then was promoted to dishing up the chips on the hot food line followed by the highlight of my career - being the knickerbockerglory maker!!!!!!! :D

I'm surprised not to see Telfer's mentioned. It was on Queen Street close to where Nash's the stationers was - I was taken there every year to get my school shoes.

I remember Paisley's too, it was also known as 'Sir Hugh's' for a while in the late 80's.

Munchinmac x
munchinmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby robertpool » Fri May 29, 2009 12:39 pm

munchinmac wrote:Have just read through this thread with great interest.

I think that the gated lift with attendant that Tommy was asking about on page one wasn't a dept store at all but the entrance 'close' to several different shops. It was between Boots and the side entrance to Frasers on the Argyle Street side. Is it not the building that had the statues of 'Atlas' on each side and would lead you up to, as I remember in the 80's, to Remnant Kings which was in the first floor but there were shops and offices on the other floors?

I also worked in Lewis's in 1980/1981, working in the 5th floor Cafeteria on Saturdays for the princely wage of £14 for the day. I started out as a trolley dolly, clearing up the dirty tables then was promoted to dishing up the chips on the hot food line followed by the highlight of my career - being the knickerbockerglory maker!!!!!!! :D

I'm surprised not to see Telfer's mentioned. It was on Queen Street close to where Nash's the stationers was - I was taken there every year to get my school shoes.

I remember Paisley's too, it was also known as 'Sir Hugh's' for a while in the late 80's.

Munchinmac x

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Sun May 31, 2009 12:32 pm

It was usually Goldbergs we went to. My gran was loyal to it as they used to live down in the borders and came up to Glasgow as occasional trip to get 'rigged oot' in one trip. At that time Goldbergs would assign a member of staff, a personal shopper I suppose, to bring items to you. I assume if pre-arranged and you'd travelled a distance.

What I remember from the 70s and 80s was that it was the first big store to open on Sundays in the run up to Christmas (presumably due to Jewish ownership). At that time nothing else was open and as my dad worked a Saturday it was the only day he could do any christmas shopping.

It seemed quite luxurious. Lots of marble and brass and a water feature/fountain thing at the main door. The ladies loos were always very posh too. They redecorated them regularly (unlike Frasers who've always had rubbish facilities).

As it didn't have a big frontage as such, the Christmas puppet displays were dotted around the store. And the route into Santa's grotto was set up like ice tunnels with puppets (as I remember - might just be one year that sticks in my head). I seem to remember there being a little theatre next to the grotto where Glen Michael had little scheduled shows.

The other thing I remember when I was a little older was Wrygges. They expanded it in the basement in the 80s and it was the first clothes shop I can remember having an in-house DJ and a little soda bar thing. It seemed very grown-up and metropolitan for Glasgow in the early 80s! I'm sure I got a couple of ra-ra skirts out of there :)
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 pm

delirium wrote:............... I'm sure I got a couple of ra-ra skirts out of there :)

Your a burd then :D
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Fossil wrote:
delirium wrote:............... I'm sure I got a couple of ra-ra skirts out of there :)

Your a burd then :D

Not neccesarily :roll:
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:52 pm

wee grogar used to wear them aw the time.

here she is needin a pish... goin tae the lavy hen.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:44 am

New luxury store’ site to become a car park – The Metro, (30 June)

Luxury retailer Selfridges is set to apply for permission to demolish the former Goldberg’s department store plus a ‘hidden’ listen building on its Merchant City land. The firm bought the land to build a new outlet, but the £90million project stalled. It now plans to create a temporary park and car parking site as it considers the long-term future. Consultants Jones Lang laSalle insist Selfridges remain committed to the site. National director David Bell told Metro: “The market is not favouring a development at this point in time,” New plans to be put to consultation aim to demolish the Goldberg’s building plus B-listed Smiths Court, an 18th century warehouse that is now in a dangerous condition after lying empty for 20 years.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Rucola » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Just what Glasgow needs, another vacant lot.
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Goldbergs , what a shop that was, you felt important going in there to shop and their Xmas Grotto was second to none, does anyone remember the carpets with the G on them a man in Garthamlock who worked there had his full house covered in purple carpet out the place, and the wee counters with the roses on the front and the gold chairs.. ah wonder if anyone can remember the wee room where you could leave your weans prams as you went in.. oh the memories.. many more to go...
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:36 pm

I remember shopping in Wryggs (?sp) that was inside Goldbergs. My sister had a Style card :)
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)