Best Curry House

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Best Curry House

Postby TEAMSANO » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:36 pm

ashoka at the mill, darnley is pretty gash, as is the ashoka ashton lane.

the southside ashoka in clarkson is the best ashoka ive been to, with the ashoka shak at the phoenix coming second.

not all the ashokas share the same menu either, they seem like they could possibly be left to decide what they want to have on it?
TEAMSANO
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Fireman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:16 pm

Inexpensive - Spice of Life in Argyll St, beside the Goat.

More expensive - Balbirs in Church St, beside the Western Infirmary. Their lamb on the bone is one of the best I've eaten during my 35 years as a passionate curry eater. Avoid Friday or saturdays nights though - positively heaving!

Lastly - any of the Gullistans - Kilsyth & Bishopbriggs I've been to and they serve good food. The weekends are worth avoiding unless you're going for a "curry-out", and even then there'll be a wait.

Not worth the money - Mother India's cafe, opposite Kelvingrove. West End excuse to serve tiny portions disguised as trendy "Tapas" - seriously overpriced for what (little) you get. Walk another 100 yards and go to the Spice, half the price, twice the value.

But I will cover my views by saying - curries are like your maw's cooking, to you she makes the best soup in the world, but your best pal might think its just ok - curries can be that way, "one man's meat is another ........"

Fireman. 8)
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Does anyone know when the new Balbir's at Charing Cross is opening?
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:35 pm

myfriendstan wrote:Does anyone know when the new Balbir's at Charing Cross is opening?

I passed yesterday. It's still pretty much a shell.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scratchnsniff » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:01 pm

the Anarkali on victoria road..

Excellent service and you take in your own alcohol to consume with the meal! makes it a quality curry at a lot less than half the money i would spend elsewhere.

maybe the alcohol comsumption is why i think it tastes so good every time.
scratchnsniff
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fireman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Any of members here recommend a good curry buffet?

I'm the "Curry Co-ordinator" for a small group of curry fanatics who like to try out entirely new places to see what they're like. We've done a lot of the West End and further afield, but now we've run out of ideas - anybody know of a killer buffet they would recommend? 8)

Thanks, Fireman.
You can take the man out of Maryhill, but you can't take Maryhill out of the man.
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AlanM » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:55 pm

scratchnsniff wrote:the Anarkali on victoria road..

Excellent service and you take in your own alcohol to consume with the meal! makes it a quality curry at a lot less than half the money i would spend elsewhere.

maybe the alcohol comsumption is why i think it tastes so good every time.

It was ok, maybe take a book next time
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:41 pm

I agree with Alan, bit slow service, was there in Jan, im not a great fan of indian curries, prefer chinese, but food was good.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby b7ryn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Fireman wrote:Any of members here recommend a good curry buffet?

I'm the "Curry Co-ordinator" for a small group of curry fanatics who like to try out entirely new places to see what they're like. We've done a lot of the West End and further afield, but now we've run out of ideas - anybody know of a killer buffet they would recommend? 8)

Thanks, Fireman.

Hi fireman,
My missus went to the India Quay (new one at Finneston, down at the Squinty Bridge) before a gig at the SECC, and she said it was pretty good. I think the buffet is either 9 or 10 quid.

b
chum laugh
b7ryn
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby b7ryn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:01 pm

myfriendstan wrote:Does anyone know when the new Balbir's at Charing Cross is opening?

There was something in the Metro last week saying that had just opened.!
chum laugh
b7ryn
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:54 pm

b7ryn wrote:

There was something in the Metro last week saying that had just opened.!

Just so we're clear. Is this the old Three Pidgeons at Sauchiehall/ Granville Streets?

It's a long way from being ready to open. Still full of workies and scaffolding. No wall or ceiling finishes. The big entrance onto Sauchiehall Strret has been part bricked up as if there'll be a window to match the others on that frontage. New entrance on Granville Street(?)
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:19 pm

b7ryn wrote:My missus went to the India Quay (new one at Finneston, down at the Squinty Bridge) before a gig at the SECC, and she said it was pretty good. I think the buffet is either 9 or 10 quid.

Thanks b7ryn, its now on the "to do" list. I didn't know about it, so there's a good chance neither do the others.

We were all at the Shish Mahal in Park Rd the other evening and it scored a reasonable 7 - Al a Carte only, tastey food, but the meal was let down a little by waiters that were just a wee bit too pushy during service.

I've been hearing Balbirs new place ( the old Little Chef) down on the A 77 at Fenwick is worth a visit, particularly recommended is their Banquet - you ask for it and they supply the selection, anybody tried it here?

Fireman. :wink:
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:27 pm

The Himalaya Tandoori in Cardonald is well worth a vist, the food is excellent and the waitresses are stunning. 8)

Tel: 0141-882 3099
Address: 1878 Paisley Rd West Glasgow Lanarkshire G52 3TN
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fireman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:57 am

Thanks HH - on the list. 8)
Fireman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Riotgrrl » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:17 am

We were at Shimla Pinks on Pollokshaws Road (at Queen's Park) last night. It's not the cheapest, but it really is nice, and the service is brilliant. (And they give you jelly beans with your bill!)
International general interest photoboard: http://photofit.proboards.com/index.cgi?
Riotgrrl
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Pubs / Clubs / Restaurants