I got a parking ticket and I don't want to pay

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

I got a parking ticket and I don't want to pay

Postby red_kola » Thu May 15, 2008 3:03 pm

A merge of a couple of threads with a similar topic...
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Appealing Parking Tickets

Postby cell » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:52 am

Has anyone any experience of appealing parking tickets with Glasgow Council? I have a Hillhead residents permit but was recently given a ticket for accidentally parking in a pay and display bay which was poorly marked. Any hints or tips?
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Appealing Parking Tickets

Postby Reenie Bujman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:07 pm

Glasgow City Council and Parking Fines >>

Take a photograph of the bay in question.

Also >>
Reenie Bujman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Parking Ticket ... any ideas?

Postby papa lazarou » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:27 pm

Just spent an enjoyable afternoon at the river festival only to return to my car and find a parking ticket. The contravention on the ticket is 01 - "parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours" an explanation of which is "Parked on a yellow line or in a street where there is a temporary waiting restriction."
I was parked on Minerva Way, Finneston, across from the Virgin fitness centre - there were no signs at the entrance to the road stating any temporary parking measures and I was parked across from a loading bay along with countless others with no sign of a single or double yellow line. Granted, I was parked in the right hand lane facing against the flow of traffic but this only appears to be an offence at hight.
I'm going to appeal this ticket but does anyone have any suggestions as to why I've received the ticket in the first place?
Thanks in advance.
papa lazarou
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Parking Ticket ... any ideas?

Postby Flyingscot » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:25 am

Minerva Way does have a traffic regulation order on it and I'm sure it is metered and permits.

If you go to Minerva Street (or West Greenhill Place) the entry to the scheme, you should see a sign with the clearway sign (red circle with strikethrough on blue background) and the words 'Restricted Parking Zone- Park only in signed bays'. In this circumstance waiting is not pemitted across from that loading bay. The folk in the bays will be fine (although those in the loading bay might be ticketed too).

Therefore if you have parked out with a parked bay you'll get a ticket unfortunatly. Should they put Double Yellows down outwith this? Possibly not permitted, but also could fool disabled drivers into waiting there too!

Take a run down and check the entry signs are there. If they are that's it really, you'll just have to pay up, and you'll have gained a bit of road traffic knowledge too! ::):

Edit- you might get off if the codes aren't right or the wording but I'm not in the know about those things!
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Parking Ticket ... any ideas?

Postby cell » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:00 pm

papa lazarou wrote:Just spent an enjoyable afternoon at the river festival only to return to my car and find a parking ticket. The contravention on the ticket is 01 - "parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours" an explanation of which is "Parked on a yellow line or in a street where there is a temporary waiting restriction."
I was parked on Minerva Way, Finneston, across from the Virgin fitness centre - there were no signs at the entrance to the road stating any temporary parking measures and I was parked across from a loading bay along with countless others with no sign of a single or double yellow line. Granted, I was parked in the right hand lane facing against the flow of traffic but this only appears to be an offence at hight.
I'm going to appeal this ticket but does anyone have any suggestions as to why I've received the ticket in the first place?
Thanks in advance.

Any reason why someone has changed the title of this thread?

The Council operate a grind you down policy and rely on folk paying the “discounted” fine of £30, if you think you have a reasonable case ie poor marking then don’t be deterred. Tell them that you intend to take the case further and that you are aware of your rights, they might be less inclined to try and fob you off. If you appeal a parking ticket make sure you describe your initial appeal as a “formal representation” this will speed up the overall process. If Glasgow Council reject it you will then be able to take your case straight to the Independent Parking Adjudicator, ask them to send you the forms to show you mean business. Do as Rennie suggested and get some pictures and build a good case, also ask for details of the number of other tickets issued under similar circumstances as this can be used too back up a case for poor marking. They have to provide this under freedom of information and they hate it!

Remember you made an honest mistake due to the councils inability to clearly mark the restrictions which they have a legal obligation to do so.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: I got a parking ticket and I don't want to pay

Postby gap74 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:23 pm

The thing with the Controlled Parking Zones has always annoyed me, as it's very easy to miss the sign at the entrance to them, and then there's no obligation to put yellow lines in the areas outwith bays inside the zone, which makes it look like you can park there if you haven't seen the sign.

Appeal it by all means, make them work for their money, but be aware that if it goes to the adjudicator, you will lose the right to pay half price, so will need to shell out 60 bangers if s/he finds in the council's favour. Which smacks a wee bit of blackmail - 30 quid is a lot of money to some folks, who may chose the cheaper option of paying up over the risk of paying double, even where they feel they have reasonable grounds for appeal.

I've had 4 tickets ever - one had the wrong registration, and I successfully appealed the other three on the grounds that I had a puncture, I was moving heavy furniture and I had a knackered starter motor. They asked for significant proof on all three occasions.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby papa lazarou » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:58 pm

Cheers for the comments.
Looks like I'm gonna have to take a drive back down to Minerva Way to see if the signs are really there!
Regards fighting the power it does seem a bit of a gyp that after appeal you lose the right to pay the half price fee.
papa lazarou
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:09 pm

I may have given you some duff information, it seems nothing can speed up the Councils appeal process, as I now understand it the route to follow is:-

Get ticket (not difficult)
Make an appeal in writing to GCC (GCC consider this an initial or an informal appeal)
Get rejected (Very likely)
Wait until GCC issue a “notification to owner”
Make a formal appeal with any additional info you can present (Tell GCC that this is a “Formal Representation”)
Wait until they reject it (Probable)
Request forms from GCC to make an appeal to the Independent Parking Adjudicator and make new appeal (I’m at this stage so I’ll let you know what comes next!)
Last edited by cell on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:37 pm

and substitute GCC for GDC in the above.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Mate of mine got ticket in the southside about 6 months ago, took it to Parking Adjudicator, who sent a map asking him to mark exact place where he had parked on it. He returned it about two months ago and has heard nothing since, so it certainly isn't a quick process!

In the meantime, you might want to make a nuisance of yourself by requesting from the council a copy of the particular Road Traffic Order to cover the restrictions or Controlled Parking Zone in the street where you parked - you never know, they might just have marked something out wrong.

Best source of advice on these matters is a website called Pepipoo:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

In particular, their forums have a specific parking thread:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=8 ... owforum=30

Most cases involve English examples, but almost all of them are similar to the situation in Glasgow i.e. Parking has been decriminalised and taken over the local authority. Thank Christ we don't really have the same problem with rogue clampers up here though!

Take a look at this Edinburgh example for an idea of the kind of thing you might want to request from the council in a case like this:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=27380

It's also quite eye-opening to see just how many private operators exist (again, mostly down south) who run car parks for retail parks and places like MacDonald's, and who will send tickets and threats of legal action which imply they have the same powers to demand information and payment as the councils have. The answer, in most cases, is to simply ignore them, the onus being entirely on them to prove who was driving the car and whether they had broken a contract.

The main scandal, though, is just how easy it is for these companies to get owner info from the DVLA without any checks whatsoever on how ethically they use it. I'm not suggesting we should all park anywhere we like, but with the power to impose a fiscal penalty comes a degree of responsibility and accountability!

Anyways, I digress, hope the above proves useful, I lost hours one day reading the thread about the BP filling station at Gatwick....
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cell » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Done Dexter, you're right, accuracy is important when dealing with the council!

Good idea Gap74, nothing I like better than getting them to work for their money, here's hoping that they made some minor error in marking. Interestingly enough I’d have been better off parking on the nearby double yellow which don’t have the required end strips.
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:01 pm

I think decriminalising parking was a bad step- much simpler and more just process that if you didn't agree with the ticket you got, you could not pay the fine and have your day in the District Court.

Be very careful on the 'lines with no T bars'. This has been branded about by the media and actually does not represent the full guidance in TSRGD where yellow lines can have no T-bars in certain circumstances.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:42 am

"Council writes off £4m of parking tickets"

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/di ... ickets.php

The single date issue, for those not aware of it, stems from a ruling by a parking adjudicator down south some years ago that tickets which just state a "date of issue" are not valid, they also need a "date of offence". This led to a flurry of appeals on similar grounds, and although councils insist that they don't consider the ruling to be valid, they have all changed their tickets anyway to include both dates.

So, doesn't help anyone who has recently been slapped with a ticket, but if you have an outstanding one which still has the old single date format....

Amused to see GCC attempting to deny that this is the case here, though! Presumably its to discourage folk who have already paid from appealing for a refund, and to dissuade those who have such tickets still outstanding from learning that they may not need to pay. This line tickled me most, I think:

"A spokesman for the local authority has since confirmed that it did not expect to collect the money for these tickets unless the offenders volunteered it."

Surely if the tickets were issued incorrectly, albeit on a minor technical detail, the council shouldn't be collecting on them, voluntarily or not? I'm quite sure if I attempted to obtain cash from the council using something which wasn't technically valid, I'd experience swift communication from their legal department demanding it back!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:56 am

Check out these three recent threads on Pepipoo concerning Glasgow tickets - they suggest that both the wording on ALL tickets currently being issued is non-compliant on a minor technicality (hey, rules is rules, we have to abide by them, so do they!) and that the signs at the entrance to their controlled parking zones (CPZ) may be non-compliant too (this specifically deals with the Garnethill zone, would need to check signs elsewhere if you're going to challenge them).

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=32137

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=28622

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=31999
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions