earliest glasgow memories

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: earliest glasgow memories

Postby elgee » Tue May 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Dugald wrote:My earliest thoughts of Glasgow are of being carried on my father's shoulder along the bank of a canal over in the Partick area. I remember we followed a horse as it pulled a barge (I suppose) along the canal. I don't know where it was, and I only know it was in or near Partick, because at the end of the walk I was carried on my father's shoulders right into the Yorkihill Hospital to have my tonsils removed. While I think I enjoyed the trip along the canal, I wasn't too happy about being deposited in this antiseptic smelling place, and left no doubt in anyone's mind that I was not happy to be there.

Dugald, are ye sure it was not Oakbank childrens hospital, which would have been within walking distance of the Forth &Clyde canal as it left Maryhill on it's way to Speirs wharf. Round toll area, others will tell more. I do not know which canal would be within walking distance of Yorkhill, unless you had a superstrong dad, which I think you probably did
elgee
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Tue May 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Passing Glasgow Goods yard on Duke St in the mid-60's. No idea why I remember this but it is imprinted on my mind.
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue May 06, 2008 11:39 pm

Sorry Elgee, I can't help you with the part of the canal on which I was taken for a shoulder-ride. As I mentioned, I thought it had to be in the Partick, or near Partick area, simply because i was taken to the Yorkhill Hospital. I could add that I do think of it as a long walk, but this part is very vague... what's "long" to a child? The canal, the horse, the hospital, and sitting on my father's shoulders, stand out in my recollection. There is no doubt though, that i was taken to the Yorkhill Hospital (this is the name of the hopital across from the Art Galleries... isn't it?). Remember, I'm talking about a very long time ago, and it's possible Yorkhill was used for children back then. By the way, I lived in Govan at the time and Yorkhill was handy for a parent visiting a very young child.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:04 am

talking of getting tonsils out i remember getting mine out in mearnskirk hospital ?!? anyone know if that one is still around?
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Wed May 07, 2008 8:37 am

The blind tunnel in Germiston.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Wed May 07, 2008 12:30 pm

crazygray23 wrote:talking of getting tonsils out i remember getting mine out in mearnskirk hospital ?!? anyone know if that one is still around?

How odd. I just transcribed a document with this hospital listed on it. (Family tree stuff.) I'd never heard of it before yesterday and now it's here too. It was for about 1985.
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:46 pm

it was around 1984 i was in there cant remember much about it apart from the farmyard at the back of the ward i was in , in todays climate with bugs and such rife in hospitals im sure the wouldnt be seen dead having such a thing near a hospital ward :)
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Wed May 07, 2008 7:26 pm

crazygray23 wrote:talking of getting tonsils out i remember getting mine out in mearnskirk hospital ?!? anyone know if that one is still around?

Now "luxury" flats.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duck » Wed May 07, 2008 9:16 pm

[quote]tombro wrote
[Travelling on the trams, the old red subway and the ferries across the Clyde (another granny lived in Tewkerhill) and even on the trains from Old Drumchapel Station. Originally they were all 'steamies' but we were still there when the Blue Trains started running !
/quote]
Remember the smell of the ferries? That special smell at the steps, those green slippery steps? A unique smell, just like the old subway. I remember when the Blue Trains started - a real day out treat was a trip from Partickhill to Bowling. Don't remember how we got to Partickhill from Cardonald though!
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Tue May 20, 2008 5:46 pm

Standing at my bedroom window shouting to the horse that pulled the milk float.
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Wed May 21, 2008 4:46 am

Roxburgh wrote:Standing at my bedroom window shouting to the horse that pulled the milk float.

are you Norman Wisdom? :D
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Caltonboy » Sun May 25, 2008 8:27 am

1971 at school in the calton is as far back as i can go, and chasing the rag and bone man on his cart for a baloon

god, im auld :mrgreen:
Caltonboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects