earliest glasgow memories

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

earliest glasgow memories

Postby duck » Sun May 04, 2008 5:52 pm

What's your first memory of Glasgow? I remember living in Mossview Quadrant in the shadow of the Moss Heights in Cardonald. Every day when my Dad left for work my Mum would put me on her shoulders and we would go onto the stair landing and we would watch and wave to Dad as he went down Berryknowes Road to catch the bus to work. ( G Ken - I can still remember them - the 15, 52 or 54 on Paisley Road West )From there I could see the funnels of all the ships on the Clyde. After Dad had disappeared she would jog me back into the house with the rhyme- this is the way the old men ride etc . Remember that? At Hogmanay we would go to the same landing and listen to those ships as they hooted the New Year in.
duck
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: earliest glasgow memories

Postby StevenJ » Sun May 04, 2008 6:14 pm

October 1986 was my first visit to Glasgow, and I remember it well. Traveling up from Preston on the 'early riser' - departing at 06:50 and arriving about 11:30. A trip to Crianlarich and Back from Queen Street, and I was back in Glasgow Central by about 15:45. What I remember most, was a trolley, like a large barrow, all decked out in red selling the skittles sweets that had recently been released. Also, on the concourse were the typical, of the time, the big red round plastic seating arrangements that sat 6 people. After buying a packet of skittles, I then got on 81022 to Preston. A few people here will know what a monster 81022 was............all at 12 years old.

I could have never imagined that I would have moved to Glasgow 20 years later, having been here for two years now.
StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun May 04, 2008 7:43 pm

Buses buses buses :) and a vague memory of the old red subway cars.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mark N » Sun May 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Mine was as an 8-year-old in August 1975 and passing through en route to my aunt's flat in Helensburgh at the start of my first summer holiday in Scotland (in fact, first proper holiday full stop, as opposed to days out in Great Yarmouth or Cromer). I remember us going down to the low-level platform from the main bit of Queen Street and my mum saying it was just like the tube!

It's that holiday's fault I'm here now :D
Flickr-ing me: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogdriller/
Mark N
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Sun May 04, 2008 11:55 pm

My earliest thoughts of Glasgow are of being carried on my father's shoulder along the bank of a canal over in the Partick area. I remember we followed a horse as it pulled a barge (I suppose) along the canal. I don't know where it was, and I only know it was in or near Partick, because at the end of the walk I was carried on my father's shoulders right into the Yorkihill Hospital to have my tonsils removed. While I think I enjoyed the trip along the canal, I wasn't too happy about being deposited in this antiseptic smelling place, and left no doubt in anyone's mind that I was not happy to be there.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Mon May 05, 2008 3:27 am

I remember playing with my brothers and some other kids on Raeberry Street Maryhill and there was one time I can recall sucking on a rocket shaped ice lolly which was blue in colour. There was a shop right across the road from us there and we visited it often. I can remember actually being in that shop, which my mother took us over to because my brother had thrown his dummy in the fire (again) and we had to get a new one. Eventually my mother told the lady to hide them so as she couldn't buy any more. When I went back in 1987 the shop was still there but closed down and the close had been knocked down.

I remember someone had a pedal car and we all used to wait to have a shot. I don't think I had a go, but my brother did. There were some big boys in that street who weren't very nice to us because we were wee, but my house was right near by so they never scared us much.

I also remember standing at the bedroom window waving and being silly to the passers-by in the early cold morning...laughing with my brother and having a great time before our parents were up. We were on street level, so we used to have a great time.

I can remember my parents had wee card nights at Raeberry Street and one man used to win all the time. They eventually worked out he was looking at their cards in the big mirror over the fireplace. I remember sitting on a kitchen chair in that house watching Nancy Sinatra on the TV singing These Boots Are Made For Walking and swaying away with it so much I fell off the chair.

I remember going to visit my granny who must have been in Windsor Street at that time, and there was my great granny sitting up in the bed in the single end they lived in. I remember going over to sit on the bed with her.

And lastly I remember being driven somewhere with my parents at night. It was freezing cold and it was near Christmas because people had their Christmas trees at the windows and my Mum was pointing them out to us as we drove along.
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 05, 2008 9:07 am

And lastly I remember being driven somewhere with my parents at night. It was freezing cold and it was near Christmas because people had their Christmas trees at the windows and my Mum was pointing them out to us as we drove along.

That would be Bilsland Drive in Ruchill, known for putting the Christmas trees up at Halloween.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Mon May 05, 2008 10:30 am

I've got quite a few memories of my early days in Glasgow !

Getting a leathering from my dad after becoming involved in a swearing competition on the ground floor of our tenement in Possilpark. I would have been four at the time !

Friends from Drumchapel (Airgold Drive and St Sixtus School) from 1955 to 1960 before we emigrated to Australia. Corporation bus trips (Number 9 and Number 20) into Glasgow to visit a granny in Anderston. Sometimes we'd catch a Blue Bus to Renfrew Street or maybe even a Red Bus into Clydebank and then catch a tram !

Travelling on the trams, the old red subway and the ferries across the Clyde (another granny lived in Tewkerhill) and even on the trains from Old Drumchapel Station. Originally they were all 'steamies' but we were still there when the Blue Trains started running !

And lastly, holidays in Dunoon, sometimes Ardrossan and Day Trips to Helensburgh on the train !

Great memories, every one !

Regards
Tombro :P
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon May 05, 2008 10:32 am

Playing on the 'old railway' that was across from Maule Drive in Thornwood, my pals and i only ever played on that side as the gang from Dumbarton Road played on the side with the station (now know it was Partick Central)

Also remember the 'haunted house' at the back of 154 Broomhill Drive where i grew up, but was to scared to go into it because of the ghosts ::):
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby samscafeamericain » Mon May 05, 2008 5:38 pm

tobester wrote:Playing on the 'old railway' that was across from Maule Drive in Thornwood, my pals and i only ever played on that side as the gang from Dumbarton Road played on the side with the station (now know it was Partick Central)

Also remember the 'haunted house' at the back of 154 Broomhill Drive where i grew up, but was to scared to go into it because of the ghosts ::):

i was from Thornwood Gardens and that old haunted house was brilliant. We eventually plucked up the courage to go into it, it had a strange fixed 'crate' in the main front room which my mate convinced me was dracula's coffin :D

Its such a shame they couldn't save that old house
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby vinny » Mon May 05, 2008 10:41 pm

Station opposite Maule Drive was Partick West

One of my earliest recollections was being on a train that crossed a bridge between two buildings. Thinking back, I'm sure it was the bridge at Glasgow Cross. When did trains stop going into St Enoch? This would have been mid-late 70s
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby allyharp » Mon May 05, 2008 10:55 pm

My earliest memory of Glasgow City Centre is getting an orange bus from Glassford St just outside Marks & Spencer that took us along Great Western Rd to our stop just at the top of Paladin Avenue.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:48 am

my earliest memorys are staying in Cairnban Street in Drumoyne and going to Drumoyne Primary,remember the road policing unit being in meiklewood road , no asda at helen street the cleansing dept was still there,the remains of the old bus garage on helen street also, no st enoch centre or buchanan galleries ,the sauchiehall centre and savoy centre were going strong, braehead was a mass of abandoned factorys and the buses looked like tomato soup and smelled of pish then cant remember which i think was strathclyde transport buses painted in clydeside coulors at the front after their garage burned down??? then buses going around painted yellow and green with gct on the side after the breakup of strathclyde regional council
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue May 06, 2008 10:40 am

vinny wrote:Station opposite Maule Drive was Partick West

One of my earliest recollections was being on a train that crossed a bridge between two buildings. Thinking back, I'm sure it was the bridge at Glasgow Cross. When did trains stop going into St Enoch? This would have been mid-late 70s

:oops: My bad Vinny, so it was
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dotmom » Tue May 06, 2008 10:18 pm

My earliest memory is of mum taking me on the trolley bus (#2?) to Castle st from Royston rd, then walking up and down Parliementary rd to get 'the messages', before going on to visit my big cousins house in Glebe st..all in the Townhead area :D
dotmom
Just settling in
Just settling in

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects