Gartloch and beyond

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Gartloch and beyond

Postby Ellis Island » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:34 pm

Went to Gartloch for a browse recently. Found numerous things of note. Didn't realise there's a modern (ish) block, probably nurses accomodation SW of the main area, through some woods. Three storeys of excellent modern concrete. The basement is heavily flooded but worth a look. Also, found the grave of Julius the dog, just west of the main block. Mysteriously though the ground had been recently dug up, there were clear excavation markings- the grave is a century old. Finally, beyond the modern house on Julius Way (wee road), there is another old house, boarded on first floor but with active generator in garage. Has stained glass on one side. Two cars parked outside, obviously people inside- masons or developers? And can someone of note with good eveidence confirm tunnels under Gartloch. And would they be flooded like the basement of the nurses quarters?
Last edited by Ellis Island on Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I never understood what 'No Entry' meant.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:58 pm

Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ellis Island » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:17 pm

Ah-hah. But, forgive me for not browsing all of them- no nurses modern block? And when i did go to Garloch first time i got chased off by Grumpy workman/security and his beloved large dog. Called Cerberus.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby DMcNay » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:08 am

You'd need to ask some of the other people on this forum about the nurses block, I've not been to Gartloch.

TZ is your man.....
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:31 am

I don't think there is a corner of Gratloch that sisterblue and turbozutek haven't covered

http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?picid=19246

There isn't a great deal to see inside the nurses block, its just a concrete husk. But in the evenings the local wildlife appears and if you approach with caution, hand out stretched, perhaps with a bottle of buckie so they know you are not an enemy. Well, perhaps then you can get onto the roof and join in with their jolly japery.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mrpattersonsir » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:41 am

julius the dog? whos he?
mrpattersonsir
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:57 am

Julius was the surgeon / doctors dog.

Theere is a road on Gartloch called "Julius's walk" ... presumably where he walked his wee dug. Cute, eh!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby turbozutek » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:06 am

Julius Walk:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?picid=51196

Runs from the mortuary building past the Rehabilitation Assessment Centre all the way up to the Superintendants' House - the big building with the stained glass that you refer to.

It is now the new Security HQ since they moved out of the Admin Wing.

Yes there are tunnels - but only under the corridor network - there are no tunnels linking up occupational therapy or the nurses block.

The nurses block (Or the Whytey as it's nicknamed) can be found here:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?picid=19246

We explored it and found it really, really boring... Except for some people on the roof - not much to recommend it.

The nurses block has lain empty for longer than the rest of the hospital as it was abandoned as nursing numbers fell at the hospital and they were moved back into the old nurses block beside the occupational therapy department in the pharmacy building.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:01 pm

Oh, and I enter this as evidence of tunnels below the corridor network:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?picid=51202

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ellis Island » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:47 pm

These the tunnels that run directly under the corridors? Similar to the ones at Hartwood? Poo. I was hoping for something more out of the way. Somebody told me there are tunnels from the war that lead to the Royal Infirmary.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby turbozutek » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:51 pm

Ellis Island wrote:These the tunnels that run directly under the corridors? Similar to the ones at Hartwood? Poo. I was hoping for something more out of the way. Somebody told me there are tunnels from the war that lead to the Royal Infirmary.

That far ? No chance.

Yeah, it's just corridor tunnels - there isn't even a tunnel linking up the mortuary.

Hartwood... Had tunnels ? The only ones we found were 1ft x 4ft steam 'tunnels'.

Not for walking around anyways.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ellis Island » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:52 pm

Not from Gartloch. Just that there are tunnels under the Royal. Otherwise that's be quite cool.

Oh, this might be suicide. The Molindinar burn, starting way up near Gartcosh, the outlet into the clyde is the barred tunnel under the sheriff court? If so, for what length is it walkable- i.e- roof height. Is it entirely man-made, if so, walkways or is it a sodden death trap? Anyone been in or have photies of the clyde entrance, real close up mind- not from the other side of the river?
My girlfriend has said i'd be 'f*@king stupid' to even try it. And she'd leave me for being so insensitive.
Personally I'm just curious. Ahem.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby turbozutek » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:54 pm

Ellis Island wrote:Not from Gartloch. Just that there are tunnels under the Royal. Otherwise that's be quite cool.

Right, sorry.. Silly me.

Yes there are indeed tunnels below the Royal. There are also some to be found under the Western too!

Although the NHS call them 'Subways'.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:04 pm

Ellis Island wrote:Not from Gartloch. Just that there are tunnels under the Royal. Otherwise that's be quite cool.

Oh, this might be suicide. The Molindinar burn, starting way up near Gartcosh, the outlet into the clyde is the barred tunnel under the sheriff court? If so, for what length is it walkable- i.e- roof height. Is it entirely man-made, if so, walkways or is it a sodden death trap? Anyone been in or have photies of the clyde entrance, real close up mind- not from the other side of the river?
My girlfriend has said i'd be 'f*@king stupid' to even try it. And she'd leave me for being so insensitive.
Personally I'm just curious. Ahem.

As for the Molendinar, its a pity you missd our walk earlier in the year.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... molendinar

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... molendinar

It starts at Hoganfield Loch and flows to the sherrif court.

The only other places you can see it are behind the Great Eastern and in a graveyard near Hoganfield. (name escapes me)

As for access from the sherif court side? Its closed off because of where it goes! But it would have been walkable ... dont know how far.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ellis Island » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:49 pm

On that topic of 'where it goes'- i.e- under a slightly security conscious building...

How far are people on this forum willing to go, hypothetically? I have no interest in vandalism, deconstructing the past or petty loitering. I just like hidden things. The older, the better.
It seems like sometimes the best places are out of bounds. I'm curious to see how many people, in theory would use, say, boltcutters?
Or should i leave this forum because you all seem like very considerate and law abiding people (and i don't mean that patronisingly).

I guess i'm just sounding out. Dont post much, just keeping my ears open for something 'out there'.
Oh, I've never yet used my boltcutters. They're too pretty.
Ellis Island
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects