Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost record shops of Glasgow

Postby JayKay » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:38 pm

Mori wrote:John Menzies used to have a record dept in Argyle st (70s)( now Tesco metro).

Did the Buchanan st one have a record dept ? (now Early learning centre) i cant remember. :?

Had forgotten about that. Yes indeed it did. On the first Floor.

Go up the stairs and turn right, in a seperate room up a few stairs. Quite a big department IIRC.

Bought a Gary Numan single there, in a very brief fling with 'new wave' :roll:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hellish » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:49 pm

just found this thread...read the lot hoping to find a mention of the record shop on Dumbarton Road... between Auchentorlie Street and Thornwood Terrace. Don't think it lasted long as he only bought in records that he liked and refused to sell them to anyone he didn't like the look of!! He did the record fair at Ingliston market too..used to head to Edinburgh in an old volvo accompanied by a bloke with arse length hair and a purple velvet jacket.....probably circa 1980....ish/maybe....

Does anyone remember it?
hellish
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby reecey593 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:48 pm

Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers Glorias. In fact, anyone have a photo/photos of it ? Would love to see it.
I moved away in 79', so things like that have become more important !
Glorias closed mid 70s, though it didn't go to Mount Florida - that was another shop (can't remember the name) that I frequented. Glorias was an essential part of my growing up - with 'Jimmy' (ermm, who else ??) playing me new stuff I thought I'd like. Sale days were crazy - queues around the block before they opened.
For a while I went to '504', (I think) at 504 Victoria Road, if memory serves, though I don't think that one lasted too long.
And whatever happened to Gloria herself ?
When it closed I began to frequent 'Listen' for a few years, Renfield St (I opened my own shop in London in 95' - closed last year unfortunately - and called it 'Listen' after those heady days).
Anyone with details of Glorioas record bar - please say Hi ! (oh, and on another topic - Sams Cafe in Old Castle Road too, but that's another story) :)

Reecey
reecey593
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:02 pm

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow Reecey

I don't Know anything about Gloria's but glad to hear you kept the "Listen" name going for so long. I enjoyed going to Listen on a Saturday with a couple of pounds to spend.

Look forward to hearing more from you.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:56 pm

I came across the London 'Listen' shop online and wondered if there was a connection...nice to hear there was! Sorry to hear it's shut down, mind.

Ah well, another one bites the dust :roll:
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Buzby » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:19 pm

As a newbie (and trawling through the thread from the beginning), When Casa opened, it was called Casa Cassettes, and as you can imagine it didn;t sell vinyl. The owner (as I recall) was a Mrs Findlay, and she went on to open a further two outlets, in Oswald Street (next to what was the Greeen Shield Stamps showroom then AA, and up at Sauchiehall Street, across from the Eye Infirmary. After a time only the Sauchiehall Street shop remained and eventually closed. (It's now a tobacconists).

Incidentally, HMV in Union Street was 2 stores in one - I worked there from prior to it opening to the public (1971?), and was a single shop unit in what was originally Union Street's Woolworths, which had been vacated, split into 3 (or 4) with street frontage. This was the time preceding CD's, so live stock with vinyl in browser bars adorned the walls and centre aisle downstairs, whilst upstairs was the classical section. Cassettes were displayed individually in locked wall-mounted racks which had to be unlocked by staff. When the store opened, I'm told there was a piper and Andy Stewart (an EMI stalkwart)) cut the ribbon, but I neversaw him.

Three or four years adter that, the next-door unit (to the south) became free and the grounf floor doubled in size. The manager at opeming was a tall chap called Paul, and he had an indonesian wife called Inez who helped set up, as I recall this was the first Scottish branch opened by the company.
- Raymond
Buzby
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby reecey593 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:26 am

Thanks for the welcome. I've been catching up with all the posts about the shops, quite a few that I remember. Noted the post about the downstairs of the first 'Listen', with the glass counters, badges, patches etc. On a recent attempted clear-out here at home (ermm, a failed one) I found a box of same. Still got a load. Did I throw them out ? Like hell i did ! I'm not entirely sure what use pin/jacket badges of Roxy Music, Cockney Rebel etc have in 2008, but I couldn't chuck them, in my strange mind they have vital historic importance :? (but that's just me).
Here in London now, record shops disappear at an amazing rate too, but if I find any (usually just stalls in markets now) it keeps me occupied for ridiculous amounts of time. Some things never change :D
Funny thing was, it was only about 5 years ago, when I had my own shop, that I had noticed my customers were actually getting younger and younger - I mean, anything from 14 - 20, wanting the original of Aladdin Sane, or some Alex Harvey, Zep, whatever. I loved it ! It changed in an instant - the area I was in (Crouch End) became all 'coffee shop and wine bar' within a year, and all the 'normal' folk had gone, and a quick slide began. Shame ! But I loved doing both Vinyl and CD.
I'll be doing another visit 'home' within a month or so, so any pointers to Vinyl/CD shops that still exist in Glasgow, let me know ! I'll be going through their racks in seconds flat.

Reecey...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyreece
reecey593
Just settling in
Just settling in

record shops of Glasgow

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:57 am

From Vinyl Vulture or VG plus as it's known these days

Most are open on Sundays from 12:00 till 5:00pm

West End
IN Search of the Lost Chord in Park Road
Lost in Music de Courcey's market off Byres Road
Oxfam Music Shop Byres Road
Cancer Research Byres Road
Cannae remember the name but a junk shop in Ruthven Lane off Byres Road
Mixed Up Records Otago Lane
City Centre
Missing Records Argyll Street under Central Station Bridge
Record Fayre Parnie Street
Monorail in Mono Kings Court
Avalanche Records in Dundas Street
Fopp in Union Street
Cancer Research Sauchiehall Street

East End (well just East of City Centre)
The Barras at The Gallowgate on Saturdays and Sundays
Paddies Market near to Mono weekdays only

South Side
Polmadie market at Polmadie (Sunday Car boot therefore early start)
Oxfam Music in Victoria Road

North East Glasgow
The Fruit Market at Blochairn on (Sunday Car boot therefore early start)
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun May 18, 2008 3:59 pm

Playing the oldies today and found these. Record shops used to stamp the sleeves with the prices and many had distinctive bags for your weekly vinyl fix. I'm sure I've got a bag from Gloria's as well as a few others from town.
Note the name on the 78 sleeve: Lewis's Royal Polytechnic. A few years later it had become the more prosaic Lewis's and the price had gone up.

Le durachd,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: record shops of Glasgow

Postby onyirtodd » Sun May 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:From Vinyl Vulture or VG plus as it's known these days

Most are open on Sundays from 12:00 till 5:00pm

West End
IN Search of the Lost Chord in Park Road
Lost in Music de Courcey's market off Byres Road
Oxfam Music Shop Byres Road
Cancer Research Byres Road
Cannae remember the name but a junk shop in Ruthven Lane off Byres Road
Mixed Up Records Otago Lane
City Centre
Missing Records Argyll Street under Central Station Bridge
Record Fayre Parnie Street
Monorail in Mono Kings Court
Avalanche Records in Dundas Street
Fopp in Union Street
Cancer Research Sauchiehall Street

East End (well just East of City Centre)
The Barras at The Gallowgate on Saturdays and Sundays
Paddies Market near to Mono weekdays only

South Side
Polmadie market at Polmadie (Sunday Car boot therefore early start)
Oxfam Music in Victoria Road

North East Glasgow
The Fruit Market at Blochairn on (Sunday Car boot therefore early start)

I've just noticed Dexter's post. Lost Chord is very rarely open on Sundays. Usually 1pm ish - at least 6pm Mon-Sat.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Lost in Music de Courcey's market off Byres Road will be closing in the summer according to staff today. The owner has sold his share in the market for lotsandlotsofmoney.
You'll be pleased to hear that it will become a coffee shop/deli as there seems to be a severe shortage of them in the West End at the moment.
Where am I going to find, for example, Dinah Washington singing 'Big Long Sliding Thing' now. I knew I'd get it at Lost in Music and I knew that the guy behing the counter would know the song.
(For those of you who don't know it, try the link below.)

Le durachd,

Eddy

http://ohmygodot.blogspot.com/
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby thegazman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:53 pm

I've got a little black book with my poems in...
thegazman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby vinny » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Many a 99p cd single purchased in Big T's!
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:09 pm

dimairt wrote:Lost in Music de Courcey's market off Byres Road will be closing in the summer according to staff today. The owner has sold his share in the market for lotsandlotsofmoney.
You'll be pleased to hear that it will become a coffee shop/deli as there seems to be a severe shortage of them in the West End at the moment.
Eddy

nothing short of tragic. :cry:
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:35 pm

JayKay wrote:
dimairt wrote:Lost in Music de Courcey's market off Byres Road will be closing in the summer according to staff today. The owner has sold his share in the market for lotsandlotsofmoney.
Eddy

nothing short of tragic. :cry:

Boo! T'was one of the first, maybe even the first proper record shop I perused back in the day when I was slowly realising that there was more to life than Tower, Virgin and Hmv...
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects