A request from a sad bus enthusiast

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

A request from a sad bus enthusiast

Postby putty shankleton » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:48 am

Hello,

Its a fantastic forum you have here, with some wonderful images. :)

AS a bus buff Im always interested in Glasgow Transport. Its not the same these days but I remember the days of the Corporation. Has anyone got any pics from the 70s and early 80s when buses were buses in Glasgow and this is a long shot. Anyone got any snaps of Gartcraig Bus Depot?

putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:58 am

I take it you mean actual prints, taken by ourselves or our family?
Otherwise, there are plenty of published photographs, and archive sources. But as you're a bus buff, I'm guessing you'll be aware of all these. Don't mean to sound nit picky, sorry.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby putty shankleton » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:34 pm

Well anything interesting taken by members in the past? Quite a long shot I know! :)
putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gridrunner » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:06 pm

Not Glasgow I know, but I thought it was interesting, ex Northern Scottish-last stop before the breakers, Dundee mid 80's.

The fleet number appears to be NT120M, is there any way to trace it's history, just out of curiosity, like?
gridrunner
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Bus pics

Postby gap74 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:17 pm

Hey Putty,

I've just acquired a fair amount of colour bus pics from the 70s and 80s from all over Scotland, but unfortunately, I'm stuck with internet cafes until my ISP gets it's act together!

I should be back online in a few weeks, but in the meantime, are there any particular areas/buses/bus companies that you're especially interested in?? Should help me decide what pics to scan and post.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby putty shankleton » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:25 pm

That sounds good! Any pics of Glasgow Buses from the 70s early 80s?
putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Buses

Postby gap74 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:32 pm

I'll see what I can do, most of the pics are from the period a few years either side of deregulation (was that 86 or 87, now, can't remember). Even as a young 12 year old then I noticed that the streets were suddenly full of unfamiliar buses with unfamiliar liveries.

Most of the buses in the pics are a fair bit older, though, plenty of Atlanteans, Leopards, Nationals, Volvo-Ailsas and even a few stray Routemasters etc.

I'll scan them all for now and post them when I get online again, sometime shortly after August 4th, according to BT!

In the meantime, have a poke about the Glasgow in Colour pre-1980 thread, think it's in the Projects forum. I culled quite a few pics in there from a 1960s bus book.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lonewooolf » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:24 am

Maybe this is what you're after ...

http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthisto ... sgow2.html

These are taken in Gallowgate.
Follow The White Rabbit
Keep An Open Mind
lonewooolf
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby putty shankleton » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:14 pm

Thanks for the link!;)
putty shankleton
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Some bus pics

Postby gap74 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:49 am

OK Putty, hope this is the kind of thing you're after...

These are from a new book called Scottish Buses: A Colour Portfolio by Gavin Booth, published by Ian Allan.

The pictures are all Gavin's, taken during his time working for various transport companies.

I'm including only a portion of the Glasgow ones, but there are plenty of other interesting pics from other areas of Scotland. I reproduce these here in the genuine hope that they'll stimulate a few people to buy the book, and not in a deliberate attempt to rip off the publisher or author!

I got mine in Waterstones in Sauchiehall St, on the ground floor - the corner on your left as you face the lift and stairs. It's a fairly hefty 14.99 though!

August 1984 in Union St, and a pair of Leyland Atlanteans display a transitional period for liveries.

August 1983, and a Volvo-Ailsa takes a drink in St Enoch Square.

August 1983 again, and this MCW Metrobus shows the Maxi behind it who's boss in Renfield St...

August 1983 yet again, and a Leyland National in George Square.

A little out of town now for a glimpse of a spanky new 1984 Dennis Dorchester in East Kilbride, courtesy of Central SMT. And they still prowl the streets of Glasgow to this day!

Sticking with East Kilbride and Central SMT, a pair of shiny Dennis Dominators adorn the town centre in 1981.

Back to the fetching yellow and green again, and a Leyland Olympian in Clarkston Rd in 1983.

1986 now, and Charing Cross is the scene of this race between a Volvo-Ailsa and a British Gas Maestro van. Not sure who my money would be on...

1983, and a less-than-glamourous Bunhanan St bus station, with a Volvo B58 doing the Glasgow-Edinburgh run.

Post 1987 now, with the merger of Kelvin and Central SMT, and old London Routemasters take to the streets of Glasgow with the new livery.

The only Western SMT pic I scanned, although there are loads in the book. A Leyland Fleetline in Argyle St in 1984.

Lastly, not really Glasgow at all, but the spelling mistake in the destination board gets my vote for most appropriate ever - almost as if the person who did it knew the place! Shotts terminus, undated.

Hope that keeps ya happy Putty!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:56 pm

I have vague memories of the orange Strathclyde Transport busses as a child in the 1980's - did they have some sort of contraption that sucked your fair into the drivers cab as the cab was totally enclosed? Perhaps that was a dream :P
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AMcD » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:27 pm

When was the last time you were on one?
They still do ! :D
Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:28 pm

amcd wrote:When was the last time you were on one?
They still do ! :D

About 1989 I think... :). Been a train man ever since! :P
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fake Plastic Steve » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:45 am

Airdire.....:)

brilliant..
"Im away....If i dont come back..avenge my death!"
Fake Plastic Steve
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby YokerBloke » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:22 am

Those bus shots a great, I remember the fights between the drivers and conductors on union st during the transition period too. It was really bizarre, as there were more than enough passengers for both services!!!
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)