Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby Fossil » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:12 am

Pub and Clubs are in this thread:
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26&p=60#p60
I will try later to merge the posts that are off topic into it.
Try and use the search function first.

Read the first post of this thread to stay on topic

cheers
Fossil :)
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:00 pm

Topic Cleaned.
Sorry folks but all off topic post have been deleted, which I hated doing. Please do a search first before adding to the wrong thread.

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Alex Campbell

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:40 pm

It's difficult to say anything about Alex that hasn't already been said, better by others

My own first awareness of Alex was as a teenager in the 31st Glasgow Scouts hearing tales of his exploits across Europe where he was held up a 'what will happen if you don't stick in at school' character yet, when he found himself in jail in Paris we scouts contributed to paying his bail (or his fine, I don't recall which).

I only heard Alex sing live once, towards the end of career and his life, at the Edinburgh Folk Club. By this time he was a shadow of his former self, a combination of years of drink and the ravages of throat cancer having taken a cruel toll on a man who was previously a physical and musical giant.

Although he died in Denmark where he'd made his home, his body was brought back to Glasgow for a funeral on a bitterly cold day in a light flurry of snow. It was said at the time that the Danish government paid for the repatriation of his body to mark his contribution to traditional music at Danish music festivals in places like Skagen and Tonder.

There's still a fair bit of his music available on vinyl. You'll find it fairly cheaply in charity shops across the country. Have a listen; you won't regret it.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:18 pm

The music venue mentioned in West George Street probably became either Talk of the Town or Peggy Sue's (or both) as these were in the building that went up in flames.

Other venues that no longer appear on gig listings include:

Glasgow Tech
College of Building & Printing
Strathclyde Uni
The Venue
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Hope Foss doesn't think this is off-topic!

Postby TommyDGNR8 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:18 pm

vinny wrote: Strathclyde Uni

Went with a bunch of friends to see Hipsway at Level 8 just around the time The Honeythief was charting.

A bit of a sing-song in George Sq afterwards (waiting for the nightbus) was interrupted by a pissed-up ned demanding we do The Soldier Song.

Cue 6-part harmonies on There was a soldier, a Scottish soldier...
TommyDGNR8
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby jodieohdoh » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:38 pm

DickyHart wrote:"The Big Day"—Europe's biggest free street party and musical event—brought more than 500,000 people into the city centre for a day of free music by performers as varied as Wet Wet Wet, Deacon Blue, Sheena Easton and hundreds of community street entertainers.

I worked on this day, ive still got me t-shirt and pass somewhere. I was one of the ones who had to collect the rubbish of the stage after Sheena,

Believe it or not, I went to this and I have an idea stuck in my head that it was June 3rd. I must have been maybe 9 or 10... 1990?

P.S. Have just read the message that resolved this issue already (i did search first, wrongly, obviously). I am impressed with myself at getting it right however considering I was in fact 9 at the time. :mrgreen:
jodieohdoh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:27 am

Harry margolis

not exactly rock'n'roll but the guy is a glasgow legend

and ace bit in the times on him yesterday

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/features/ ... _swing.php
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:33 pm

Not strictly a Glasgow act, but one for the hall of Fame anyway.

Adapted badly from a tale told by Henry Rollins at a spoken word performance at the Riverside Club many moons ago.

In 1984, US punk legends Black Flag were touring the UK. Things were not going well. By this point in history, 'punk' was a term normally used only as part of a sentence that ended 'is not dead' and was only celebrated by rather sad people who had either missed the late '70s or hankered nostalgically for them. The scene had moved on a punk was not where it was at anymore.

So Black Flag rolled into Glasgow, to play Night Moves at the bottom of Sauchihall St (now Moon night club). Anyone who was ever at a gog there will remember that it was from the balcony possible to be exactly above the stage, either behind of beside the band.

The band kick off with an instrumental. Familiarity with anything off the process of weeding out will give you the picture. Not exactly a mellow vibe. The audience are not exactly pretty either, many actively hostile to this bunch of americans who are probably sell-outs, fakes, softies or whatever.

Instrumental over, Rollins takes the stage for his first number. Grabs the mike, wraps cable round his wrist and opens his mouth.

At that very instant he is hit, square on, with a full pint of pish.

He looks around incredulously at the audience, as he begins the number.

And is hit again, full on, head to toe, with another full pint of pish.

The gig continues, Rollins doing his thing, Gregg Ginn no doubt grinding it out in a way only one of the greatest guitarists ever could do, but things don't get better for our Henry or his friends.

The audience, caught in a punk nostalgia timewarp think they're perhaps at the 100 Club in '77, and gob all over the band. One member of the audience, with a particular good aim, seems to be suffering from some ungodly mouth absess and keeps hitting our Henry square on with immense volleys of pus and blood.

Undeterred, our heroes continue. According to one of my mates who was there, it was the best gig he has ever been at in his life, and he has been at a few since.

End of the show, our Henry is soaked in pish, spit and blood. As area all the abnd members. Off he goes backstage. And there is, in the backstage area, like a desert oasis, a shower.

Under he goes, on goes the shower. No water.

So there the band are, thousands of miles from home, playing to an audience whose reaction has been to soak them in bodily fluids for their entire set. They're down. They're tired and they're stinking.

The stage door opens. In wafts a group of immaculately coiffed figures. in long duster coats, baggy trousers and ballet slippers. "Hi", one of them says. "Thought we'd check you out, we were playing at the Apollo this evening, we're Ultravox..."
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:19 pm

Here's Alice Cooper earlier today on the streets of Glasgow looking a bit angry at the Evening Times blockbuster of a headline story, that....err they're going to move some steps.

What's tomorrow's scoop? "Lamp Post To Be Moved Further Doon Street Shocker"

Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:36 pm

Alice Cooper's gig at the Glasgow Apollo On feb 19 1982 was recorded by Radio Clyde and broadcast.

Several months later, three tracks from the gig were issued on a 12'' ep For Britain Only which was released to commemorate what he thought was a particularly good tour.

The three live tracks were Model Citizen, Who Do You Think We Are, and Under My Wheels

A 7'' version of the single only had the Glasgow version of Under my wheels

The set list was:

1 Who Do You Think We Are
2 Model Citizen
3 Go To Hell
4 Guilty
5 I'm Eighteen
6 Cold Ethyl
7 Only Women Bleed
8 No More Mr. Nice Guy
9 Clones
10 Under My Wheels
11 I Never Cry
12 Grim Facts
13 Pain
14 Generation Landslide
15 School's Out

And if I remember rightly the whose set appeared on Radio Clyde, although only the three tracks on For Britain Only received official release.

Incidentally, the first line of For Britain Only is "We blasted Glasgow..."

Sadly it went downhill from there...
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Bootlegs and live recordings

Postby Cyclo2000 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:11 pm

There's a recording of Frank Zappa playing at the Apollo called "Dead Man Of Glasgow" presumably bootlegged on the night of the 14th Feb 1979 cos his set list included Dead girls of London....here

http://www.inthewilderness.com/apollo/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=14&action=show&band_ID=22&yr=1977

Just looking at that site...there's a function to tell you who played on this day in history
Tonight in 1976 you coulda seen...Neil Young with Crazy Horse, supported by the Eagles!
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Bootlegs and live recordings

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:59 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:There's a recording of Frank Zappa playing at the Apollo called "Dead Man Of Glasgow" presumably bootlegged on the night of the 14th Feb 1979 cos his set list included Dead girls of London....here

http://www.inthewilderness.com/apollo/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=14&action=show&band_ID=22&yr=1977

Just looking at that site...there's a function to tell you who played on this day in history
Tonight in 1976 you coulda seen...Neil Young with Crazy Horse, supported by the Eagles!

1973 actually. The Eagles were touring Desperado and Neil Young decided to play his new Material only his new album was Tonight's the Night which is a lament for dead friends. I think most people left thinking they were glad to have seen The Eagles.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:05 pm

JayKay wrote:Alice Cooper's gig at the Glasgow Apollo On feb 19 1982 was recorded by Radio Clyde and broadcast.

S.

this mob have a load of the Radio Clyde live recordings.

http://www.riverrecords.com/comersus/About.asp

I suppose licensing is the problem.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:38 pm

JayKay wrote:Alice Cooper's gig at the Glasgow Apollo On feb 19 1982 was recorded by Radio Clyde and broadcast.

The set list was:

1 Who Do You Think We Are
2 Model Citizen
3 Go To Hell
4 Guilty
5 I'm Eighteen
6 Cold Ethyl
7 Only Women Bleed
8 No More Mr. Nice Guy
9 Clones
10 Under My Wheels
11 I Never Cry
12 Grim Facts
13 Pain
14 Generation Landslide
15 School's Out

And if I remember rightly the whose set appeared on Radio Clyde, although only the three tracks on For Britain Only received official release.

Incidentally, the first line of For Britain Only is "We blasted Glasgow..."

That wasn't the full set list. He done 'Seven and Seven Is' after 'I Never Cry' and 'Billion Dollar Babies' after 'Pain'.

They cut it down to 60 minutes and it was broadcast in 2x30 minute segments over two consecutive Friday nights on the Tom Russell Rock Show. I've still got my original C60 tape but I've since bought the recording on CD up the Barras.

I was in the third row that night totally stunned at seeing my hero. Me and my pal got a plectrum that was thrown into the crowd and we halved it coming down Renfield St.

Another 'Glasgow' mention comes during 'I'm Eighteen' in this show when Alice brings the snake on and sings "She said she wanted something fresh, I said how about a little bit of Glasgow flesh".
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby maycut » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:58 pm

When I was but a Teeny bopper. I did see Johnny Dankworth and Cleo Laine at Barrowland, that was before they hooked up with each other. Others I have seen (round about the same time, 1940s) were Frank Sinatra, Billy Eckstine, Frankie Laine. Those were the days!!
maycut
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects