WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: WANTED!! Ideas for new projects....

Postby My Kitten » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:36 am

Cyclo2000 wrote:Okay, so we're doing Gillespie Kidd and Coia but..

Why not Sir Basil Spence? He's Scottish, modernist (very!) and built a fair bit around Glasgow and the rest of Scotland.
There's bit's of Glasgow Airport, the Hutchiesonton C flats in the Gorbals, Kilsyth Academy...and there's an exhibition of his work about to commence at the Dean in Embra (in Tom Sheilds' memorable phrase...44 miles from culture)

Website here
http://www.basilspence.org.uk/

Clerihew Corner, Private Eye circa 1976
Sir Basil Spence
Showed a lot of sense
When he chose to live in Norfolk
As far away as he could get from the houses he built for the rest of us poor folk.

Dunno why I've always remembered that Clerihew, but that's over 30 years now and it's still lodged in me napper. Maybe cos I always liked those Gorbals flats - in particular Queen Elizabeth House (I think that's what it was called) which was the low rise building that got blown up in 93.

Get basil on!, apart from Queens Elizabeth Square I dont know much of his stuff, whereas I have a little knowledge of GKC hence the thread starter. Not sure if we should have prominent architects or maybe have it split into types i.e modernist etc hmm ponder ponder.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:35 pm

My Kitten wrote:Not sure if we should have prominent architects or maybe have it split into types i.e modernist etc hmm ponder ponder.

Would suggest architects if they're big enough to stand alone, styles if not (like the deco metal and sandstone ones).
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:45 pm

Aye go with individual named Architects for each thread... i could start a Project on David Hamilton soon, but i am still reading through bundles of stuff on him...like he had a dozen kids, a handful who became Architects and that he was related to Madeleine Smith, he lived in Buchanan Street and that many of the famous Glasgow Architects that followed him were trained by him and they in turn trained many other well known Glasgow Architects...

Interestingly, we are fortunate enough that many of his buildings survived...anyway you get the idea, he could easily have his own Project thread.... i have got off my backside in the last couple of days and have been snapping away at some David Hamilton buildings.....

So hows about...

Basil Spence...definitely tons of stuff to follow up
Gillespie Kidd and Coia....
Thomson and his lesser known proteges
The Burnets..JJ et al
Rochead
Salmon
Charles Wilson
Honeyman

I am sure Crusty will have a few to add.
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:59 pm

Excellent idea, I had St. Paul moment the other day when I was reading about the St. Vincent UP Church & the Greek fella when the actual Builder was mentioned, I realized that Architects are responsible in the main for the design of structures, it is left to someone else to actually build the thing, my imagination is on fire. As Architects are known for a body of work, so then must the builder be. So that will be the route I will follow. Woooohoooo! ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:02 pm

I'll give you a list of things i have built in Glasgow.....do i get to wear a cape, tophat and carry a stick? ::):
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:06 pm

That could be filtered off as a separate forum to group them, once a few have been started. As could profiles of specific buildings.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HollowHorn » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Socceroo wrote:I'll give you a list of things i have built in Glasgow.....do i get to wear a cape, tophat and carry a stick? ::):

Don't you wave thon big flag at me, boy! :P I would like a list though, even by pm.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:11 pm

not sure this has ever been put forward (so dont shot messenger :D ) I realise this is Hidden Glasgow what about some hidden gems that maybe forgotten but from a tourists prospective. Couple spring to mind, they are a bit more publisized than they used to be. Happened on forum some one didnt know about Queens Park Glass House, i had forgot about it myself for years & i stay across road from it. Lighthouse couldnt find info on it when i first looked not bad information on it now but you get idea.

2nd idea might do myself, stemmed from post on clockwork orange, not sure if it has been done before but more modern approach, pictures as the stations are today, all of them obviosly looking for few oddites on way :D as in 5-10-20 years time the photos will be history themselves. Sometimes reading posts old pictures are hard to find. well were here today making history of future........... god i've tooo much time on my hands :roll:
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Get out there tomorow morning with yer kodak brownie ya old fart : :wink:

Its never to late to start.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby preservationlady » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:00 pm

Glasgow trad musicians (19th and 20th century) --those who devoted their lives to preserving Scottish and Celtic culture. How did they live and die? How did the community respond to their loss and how are they remembered? Anyone got anything on this?
preservationlady
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:10 pm

preservationlady wrote:Glasgow trad musicians (19th and 20th century) --those who devoted their lives to preserving Scottish and Celtic culture. How did they live and die? How did the community respond to their loss and how are they remembered? Anyone got anything on this?

good idea i was hoping that this might be covered here
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6708

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:07 am

Fossil wrote:
preservationlady wrote:Glasgow trad musicians (19th and 20th century) --those who devoted their lives to preserving Scottish and Celtic culture. How did they live and die? How did the community respond to their loss and how are they remembered? Anyone got anything on this?

Fossil

I had considered adding the likes of Matt McGinn or even Alex Campbell but both would roll in their graves at the thought of being even vaguely Rock and Roll. Add that to the fact both were perhaps more devoted to pickling their livers than prerserving Scottish culture.

This was also at a time when Celtic was a football team in the east end of the city and not a marketing strategy.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:02 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
Fossil wrote:

Fossil

I had considered adding the likes of Matt McGinn or even Alex Campbell but both would roll in their graves at the thought of being even vaguely Rock and Roll. Add that to the fact both were perhaps more devoted to pickling their livers than prerserving Scottish culture.

This was also at a time when Celtic was a football team in the east end of the city and not a marketing strategy.

no please add it onny
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby peter » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:29 pm

Shoot me down in flames with great balls of S**t but how about a HIDDEN GLASGOW BOOK/S. In your archives there are enough threads of material that could be put into print.
Look at the stuff in the bookshops about Glasgow past and present and almost all from the big newspaper archives. I think there is a huge pool of talent contributing to HG right now.
There is enough stuff for several volumes.
What about a publisher and who would contribute , what about copyright etc etc. I think we could get around all that somehow.
We need would to organise a meeting of any interested parties / contributers to discuss going about it.
You only have to look at the media interest in Glasgow just now and compare with the wealth of talent on this site.
Come on lets bash our heads together.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:29 am

Peter,
An HG book has been disscussed plenty of times behind the scenes over the years and over many pints and the conclusion was that Glasgow isn't quite ready for an HG book ... well just yet anyhow :wink:

There's a multidue of reasons for this although it's not for the lack of material though. In fact I think I've got enough stuff archived to do a book independently ...Hmmm ££££'s? :P
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects