Old Maryhill Station

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Old Maryhill Station

Postby stoop_uk » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:18 pm

dougie79 wrote:It seems to be the way of things now. Rip or burn down nice buildings and replace them with complete shite. The planners want shooting!

In fairness though, it's better than what's currently there... it was, well, a car showroom. Don't know if I'd want to be living that close to the train line though..
Stewart Priest
a cracking audio producer :: http://www.stewartpriest.com
stoop_uk
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:20 pm

No god! they can rip that down, I was meaning things like tenements and the like. The old hyndland station building for example.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:21 pm

dougie79 wrote:It seems to be the way of things now. Rip or burn down nice buildings and replace them with complete shite. The planners want shooting!

Aye i don't get your comments either on that one dougie, as stoop says it's a Car Show Room. So why not build a new building?

I think the new building looks okay, but that's only my opinion. What would you prefer to see?
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:25 pm

stoop_uk wrote:

In fairness though, it's better than what's currently there... it was, well, a car showroom. Don't know if I'd want to be living that close to the train line though..

I understand the developers will seek to apply to have the rail line re-routed, much the way the residents of the Glasgow Harbour development are circulating a petition to have the Clyde diverted so they won't be able to smell it.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stoop_uk » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:32 pm

onyirtodd wrote:I understand the developers will seek to apply to have the rail line re-routed, much the way the residents of the Glasgow Harbour development are circulating a petition to have the Clyde diverted so they won't be able to smell it.

There was a documentary on the BBC the other week, fronted by that perennial whinger Muriel Gray in which she was going round Britain looking at the regeneration of cities, and when she was talking to a guy at BAE Govan, she asked if anyone living at Glasgow Harbour had complained to the yard about anything, to which he replied: "No, not really. Although we did have one woman phone up asking when the yard was closing. Her estate agent had told her the yard would be closing soon, and she was phoning up asking for an exact date!!" ::): ::): ::):
Stewart Priest
a cracking audio producer :: http://www.stewartpriest.com
stoop_uk
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:34 pm

I think they should get of the old showroom or at least put it to good use, when I stayed in manchester they built new flats amongst the tenements but made them blend in, looked pretty good. Where are they routing the railway line to, thats going to be a massive job.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:56 pm

dougie79 wrote:.............. Where are they routing the railway line to, thats going to be a massive job.

I don't think they've got that far yet. An obvious solution would be to terminate the line somewhere in the grounds of Gartnavel where the train service could interface with the wee bus that runs down to Partick Bus Station where passengers can resume their journey by rail.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:25 pm

onyirtodd wrote:You're not suggesting the Skoda buidling is nice, are you?

It's not the nicest building in the world, but it's at least in keeping with the historical character of the site. The new, multi-level development will change this.

Tim
»»» Timelapse : Glasgow «««

»»» A History of Scotstoun ««« (UPDATED: 26 June 2007)
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:42 pm

Timchilli wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:You're not suggesting the Skoda buidling is nice, are you?

It's not the nicest building in the world, but it's at least in keeping with the historical character of the site. The new, multi-level development will change this.

Tim

I can see a certain period charm in the 1926 building. The other is just a brick and glass eyesore.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:52 pm

stoop_uk wrote:
onyirtodd wrote:I understand the developers will seek to apply to have the rail line re-routed, much the way the residents of the Glasgow Harbour development are circulating a petition to have the Clyde diverted so they won't be able to smell it.

There was a documentary on the BBC the other week, fronted by that perennial whinger Muriel Gray in which she was going round Britain looking at the regeneration of cities, and when she was talking to a guy at BAE Govan, she asked if anyone living at Glasgow Harbour had complained to the yard about anything, to which he replied: "No, not really. Although we did have one woman phone up asking when the yard was closing. Her estate agent had told her the yard would be closing soon, and she was phoning up asking for an exact date!!" ::): ::): ::):

I hope he told her "We're no closin hen, we've got years of work oan the books" ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:19 pm

glasgowken wrote:
stoop_uk wrote:

I hope he told her "We're no closin hen, we've got years of work oan the books" ::):

Not if wee Eck Salmond has his way.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby celfrog » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:25 am

I can recall the old station, I used to live on Stratford Strret No.43, just opposite the derelict station in the early 70's, and in fact used to play there as a kid. Then it was a big hole in the ground, and our tennement used to look down onto it. The tunnel as I recall was located in the far corner of the station almost under the traffic lights at the junction between maryhill road and garioch road, though its called lime grove or something now. I know this because as a kid me and my friends used to walk along it with torches til we got too scared and fled. Now I believe this entrance was blocked over when the supermarket was built there. I still have some old photos of the area somewhere.
celfrog
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dimairt » Fri May 01, 2009 8:41 am

Celfrog,
Can we see the photos?

Le durachd,
Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby celfrog » Wed May 13, 2009 11:25 am

Eddy

Will go through the old photo boxes, I live in Paris, but they are all stored in Glasgow I'm back next month and I'll get them out and post them.
Best wishes to you too.

CF
celfrog
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jimmy1959 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:49 am

The station was Maryhill Central that was opened in 1896 by the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway as the Rutherglen circular line although east from maryhill central passenger trains never ran any further than Possil staion or Possil (North) as it became in 1954. At marhill a gap was left beneath the Co-op that was opened in 1979 with room for a single track. this of course came to nothing and by 1982 the large lattice bridge carrying the line over the north end of Eastfield shed was removed followed shortly by most of the cuttings to the old St. Rollox MPD being filled in and other parts of the line including the tunnel just past maryhill being filled in and a car repair unit being built there. because of these changes it is now totally impossible for this line to be ever opened again. just as a matter of intrest slightly east of possil Station on the 26 november 1894 possil junction was opened carrying a freight line a mile and a half long to Ruchill mineral yard just past Ruchill hospital. the line was taken over by the Caledonian Railway in 1909 and was closed in three stages. The first stage in was the mineal branch line that closed on 20 July 1963. the second part was the section between Balornock junction (At St. Rollox MPD) and London road that was closed on 7 September 1964 and the last part between Rutherglen and Balornock on 22 february 1966. amazingly the station building of possil station is still standing although much the worse for wear but the attractive building would look really nice if renovated. One of the goods sheds at Possil staion still survives and is used by a scrap merchant.
jimmy1959
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects