Saint Enoch Square redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby glasgowken » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:54 am

The stone effect reminds me of that tacky 70's wallpaper.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:52 am

Awww! Their taking away the whole Argyle Street entrance I spent weeks on the fabrication of the Steel Curves on the outside of
TK Maxx:-

I noticed yesterday that both Tk Maxx and Dolcis on Argyle Street are now closed and empty in preparation for the
redevelopment:-
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ElectricSprout » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:24 pm

"A massive programme of redevelopment work has begun at the St Enoch Centre in the heart of Glasgow. The first stage of demolition work is being carried out at the former Clydesdale Bank building on the corner of Argyle Street and St Enoch Square. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6729559.stm

Considering the reponse to a lot of other demolitions, I'm surprised there hasn't been more outrage about them pulling down the bank coz there really isn't any other building I can think of in that style and it's not like it's particularly ugly or anything. It's just one of these 'invisible' buildings that for some reason people don't seem to take any notice of. The more I look at it the more I like it!

ElectricSprout
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:04 pm

This is to replace the Clydesdale Bank Building.

Ivanhoe Cambridge

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:28 am

Shape of things to come.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:43 am

ElectricSprout wrote:"A massive programme of redevelopment work has begun at the St Enoch Centre in the heart of Glasgow. The first stage of demolition work is being carried out at the former Clydesdale Bank building on the corner of Argyle Street and St Enoch Square. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6729559.stm

Considering the reponse to a lot of other demolitions, I'm surprised there hasn't been more outrage about them pulling down the bank coz there really isn't any other building I can think of in that style and it's not like it's particularly ugly or anything. It's just one of these 'invisible' buildings that for some reason people don't seem to take any notice of. The more I look at it the more I like it!

I've been having a think about the bank building, and wandering round the city noticed a few others in the same style - is there a name for this? They're pretty distinctive.

Stockwell St

Argyle St

And St Enoch's

Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:39 am

Yeah, Art Deco :wink:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:48 am

crusty_bint wrote:Yeah, Art Deco :wink:

ha ha... :roll:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:53 am

I wasn't taking the piss Ally :? Honest Guvv!
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:03 am

crusty_bint wrote:I wasn't taking the piss Ally :? Honest Guvv!

Yeah, so anyway, I just wondered if they were of a more specific type, within a general style, or if they were built by the same people at the same time, if they are common elsewhere, or if anyone knew anything about them at all... just trying to get a bit of interest going!

if it's not interesting, I'll just crawl away and hide like everyone else....
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:05 am

ummmmm... ok...
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Josef » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:09 am

I've wondered that too, Ally, if it's any consolation.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:24 am

Well excuse me, I did answer your question didn't I? I could have posted wobbling tits instead, would certainly have been more in keeping with the prevailing interests on this site recently :roll:

Art Deco was popular from the 1920's until the end of WWII when it fell out of favour due to its adoption by the Nazis and Fascists as an expression of their ideals. The Deco style took its influences from the Classical Civilisations (Egypt, Greece, Rome, even the Mesopotamian Civs in some instances) but executed in a very stylised manner using materials at the forefront of construction technology and in a very ecclectic manner. European Deco took different forms to American Deco which took a different form to British Deco but all along the same stylistic and and embelematic themes.

The pics you posted are all examples of the most common Deco structures, being warehouses, and follow quite simple lines when compared to the more famous examples (such as the Chrysler Building NY, or the Hoover Factory Offices down London way). Most of the motifs you can see used on the buildings in your pics have Greek/Roman origins but the former Clydesdale Bank employs motifs of Egyptian origin, although very much stylised. Theres a fabulous limestone example of this on the corner of West Nile St (formerly a bank, now "Frankensteins"). If you take a close look at the stonework on this building you'll find some fossils.

Whats noticable about your pics is that the building all adopt a form of extruded windows with only very slender masonry divides due to the use of steel-framing. This style is what heralded the modern age and modern style of architecture. A good example of this transition in Glasgow was the Tate Tower from the Empire Exhibition.

A relatively unknown, but important example of Deco in Glasgow is a shed down at the Barkley Curle shipyard which is a copy of Peter Behrens seminal AEG Turbine Hall in Berlin.
Last edited by crusty_bint on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby crusty_bint » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:26 am

I meant to say... Deco could be seeing a small revival in Glasgow with GM+AD's hotel proposal for Clyde St:

See http://www.futureglasgow.co.uk/ for more (Commercial>Leisure>scroll down)
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Auldeejit » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:51 pm

This looks a bit like MI5 HQ. in London, same shape.
Is'nt all this glass a bit of a godsend for bombers?
Auldeejit
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Development