Cambuslang Pilot?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Cambuslang Redevelopment

Postby gap74 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:26 am

It's the pedestrian subway I miss most, sniff!

And now it looks like we may be about to lose the golf course too.... Well, not we in general, obviously, unless anyone here happens to be a member! In which case, the drinks are on you after the big meeting next week! The story even made The Sunday Times the other day!

My mum lives in Kyle Court overlooking the demolition, will try to get a few aerial pics tomorrow.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:30 am

Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby gap74 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:33 am

It is getting a bit silly, I grew up in Westburn and then Halfway, and the amount of redevelopment there is really quite staggering. Almost every exciting play place when I was a kid now has an intense concentration of those twee wee red brick houses all packed up against each other. Every time I go back, the place gets more and more unrecognisable.

Still, I move back there tomorrow, will at least be able to document it!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:56 am

Thats terrible! I hope the club members can see past the allure of £50,000 and vote against selling it off. Whats this club like? Is it yon snobby wiy or is it representative of the demographic?

I remember reading a while back about a tennis club up Gt Western Rd way that had been offered millions to pack up, fortunately they saw fit to stay. The loss of these areas are a real shame. The conurbation of Glasgow is already more or less indistinct from the city proper. As the city sprawls further along the Clyde Valley and up and over its hills, these spaces (public or not) will become increasingly important to the people who live and work around them.

Any and all proposals like this ehould be whole-heartedly rejected I think... after all, once its gone: its archive... ain't no going back! Developers ought to think less about thier wallets and clean up the brown sites for use! And not like they did at Sighthill, shifting the earth about and giving it three inches of new topsoil... clean it up properly so the residents aren't eating home-grown cocktail-of-chemicals enriched fruit and veg :roll: 8O

(rant over :roll: )

Crusty :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby DickyHart » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:11 am

they are certainly making short work of it. All those parts are now gone.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gus » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:18 am

The golf course thing's a load of p**h. My old boy's a member, and says it's not going to happen. Says the press got a whiff of a story, and blew the whole thing out of proportion. So don't expect a new housing estate anytime soon!

G.
Gus
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:47 am

thank feck for that :)
-Fossil-
Fossil
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:20 pm

Will they ever stop new housing on, green belt land and brown fill sites.
walking in fields, wildlife, history,............….Disappearing Glasgow
Fossil
-
-

Postby PlasticDel » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:57 am

The Modern Fossil wrote:Will they ever stop new housing on, green belt land and brown fill sites.
walking in fields, wildlife, history,............….Disappearing Glasgow

Perhaps. I heard the other day that the right ot buy your coucil house will be no more next year. Dunno if it's just a North Ayrshire thing or if it is throughout Scotland. Anyone else hear stuff like that around?

Guess it'll allow the council and housing associations to keep more stock. Not sure how it'll all go down though...
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:59 am

Just thought though (wheels not turning too fast right now). Hardly does much for all the private builds out there.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Cambuslang Development

Postby gap74 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:00 pm

When I read the story about Newton East and West bings, and the fields of Newton Farm all being developed for housing, I raged!

It's all very well for South Lanarkshire Council to give us nice blue recycling bins, how about they give us some form of facilities instead of another nice bit of countryside being dug up for bland wee houses with generic street names (Cedar Grove? Acacia Way?? Do developers even bother trying to come up with locally relevant street names these days??)

So we're to get a Tesco Metro, but not 24hrs, wooppee! I'd much rather have somewhere to walk my beast of a dog, but looks like I'll now have to walk even further to get a bit of green belt. Just how many houses have been built in Hallside and Westburn in the last 7 or so years?? And not as much as a single shop or recreational facility so far!

Grr, it makes me mad!

Rant over...!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Newton Farm

Postby gap74 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:02 pm

Incidentally, Foss, I just recently noticed from the top of the bing that Newton Farm itself appears derelict. Been for a poke about the buildings yet?

Shame, my grandparents worked there in the 50s and 60s, and I spent at least one summer bothering the farmer until he let me help out there too, sometime in the 80s!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Cambuslang Pilot?

Postby EdBoyle » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:49 pm

10 year late. All the hard copies of this Pilot are held in the Mitchell in numerous large binders. Saw them there myself. :D
EdBoyle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)