Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby cheesylion » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:02 am

The pub is round the corner, technically speaking the sign is on the side wall of the pub, it's called Sharkeys. The entrance is on the side between the railway arches and the fiscals office (the brown brick building)
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:49 am

cheesylion wrote:The pub is round the corner, technically speaking the sign is on the side wall of the pub, it's called Sharkeys. The entrance is on the side between the railway arches and the fiscals office (the brown brick building)

Been in a few times. The interior makes you feel like you are in the bar of the Crossroads Motel. Quite an experience.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:55 pm

cheesylion wrote:The pub is round the corner, technically speaking the sign is on the side wall of the pub, it's called Sharkeys. The entrance is on the side between the railway arches and the fiscals office (the brown brick building)

used to be called "the stage door"
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JimT » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:03 pm

There was another pub to the right of the railway bridge. It was called the Clellen
JimT
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby cumbo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:02 pm

view from round the corner
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

pubs

Postby dimairt » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:24 pm

Only slightly pissed tonight.... and trying to link Hoodster's wonderful pics to an old thread about pubs.
The pub here on Hoodster's collection is Dearie's on Garscube Rd. as verified by my dad and the reminiscence group I met with today at a sheltered housing complex in Maryhill.
You can see the old Phoenix Cinema just behind it with the tower at Spiers Wharf behind that.
This is near to - please be upstanding - Davie McParland's bar - does anyone have a pic of that?
By the way, I was given a dozen or so snaps of Phoenix Park last week by someone from the reminiscence group at Dundasvale agus tha duill agam a phost an ath seachdain.

Le durachd,

Dimairt

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/vie ... c&start=10
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

The Dunrobin

Postby myfriendstan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:10 pm

Does anyone remember a pub called The Dunrobin in George St opposite The Georgic?

I've asked loads of people and no one recalls it. I'm beginning to think it was a figment of my imagination.
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: The Dunrobin

Postby neilmc » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:48 am

myfriendstan wrote:Does anyone remember a pub called The Dunrobin in George St opposite The Georgic?

I've asked loads of people and no one recalls it. I'm beginning to think it was a figment of my imagination.

Yep, there really was a Dunrobin, on George Street just where you say it was. The building it was part of was demolished to make way for an office block. I only remember being in it once, in the late '70s/early '80s. It had a superb interior with small booths, but apparently it became decidedly dodgy towards the end.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Pubs with no tenements

Postby Secret Squirrel » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:43 pm

The photo of the New Camp Bar reminds me of many pubs in the east end of the city which were left like that. Before Parkhead Forge Shopping Centre and Parkhead Hspital opposite was built, there was a pub on Duke St just south of East Wellington Street called the "Hare and Hounds". It was the only pub I was ever in which has sawdust on the floor and spitoons.
Secret Squirrel
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby marginalwalker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:43 pm

The Phoenix and The Dalriada..
marginalwalker
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Pubs with no tenements

Postby DickyHart » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:51 pm

Secret Squirrel wrote:The photo of the New Camp Bar reminds me of many pubs in the east end of the city which were left like that. Before Parkhead Forge Shopping Centre and Parkhead Hspital opposite was built, there was a pub on Duke St just south of East Wellington Street called the "Hare and Hounds". It was the only pub I was ever in which has sawdust on the floor and spitoons.

that pub is still there i believe
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby blackhack » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:20 pm

i remember a pub that stood on stockwell st where the argos building now stands and im sure it was called Kittys,i also remember a General Wolfe at the corner of the gallowgate and millerston st,also the clyde vaults that was on main st bridgeton as it crossed greenhead st.This thread is absolutely excellent
blackhack
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby neilmc » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:36 am

That pub that used to stand on the site of Argos in Stockwell St. was originally called the Tron Tavern. I thought it changed it's name to Ronnies Bar, but Kittys......hmm, you could be right.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

tappit hen pub

Postby fingers61 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:52 pm

I wonder if anyone or should I say anyone's elderly relations remember a pub on the Gallogate ,near the meat market,which has been demolished for many years called the tappit hen.My grandfather worked there and ended up managing it.Cheers.
fingers61
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:19 pm

Welcome to Hidden Glasgow fingers61.

Don't know the pub you are talking about but thought I should welcome you and hope to see more from you,

All the best
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects