Ra Pawn

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Mori » Thu May 31, 2007 8:05 pm

Pawnbroker and hotel boss in stalemate over city site

The site is at the corner of the proposed hotel and the developer says it will be built even if Mr Fox, below, refuses to sell up
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu May 31, 2007 8:21 pm

HollowHorn wrote:Cracking pic there Mori, excellent detail, look at the two Policemen striding purposefully down the pavement or the Lady crossing the street with skirt slightly hitched, revealing a finely turned ankle.

"Are you photographing that woman's ankle, sur?"
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu May 31, 2007 8:31 pm

By the look of her, 'bustling street' takes on a whole new meaning.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pwm437 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:25 pm

I remeber going to the pawn wi ma maw in Cumberland Street, above Galbraiths in the early 60's. Quite a common occurence at that time and an accepted way of getting from one wage to the next. Went up a close to the first landing where there were about six little wooden doors, and when one of the little booths was vacant it became your turn. There was a big wooden counter and men with long brown dustcoats on. Funny the things that stick in your mind from childhood.

Any other HG memories of pawnshops ??
pwm437
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mr moto » Thu May 31, 2007 9:48 pm

i can remember in the early seventies my mum taking me through a close and up a sort of spiral staircase to the pawn shop just above the allison bar on pollokshaws road . it had wee red painted doors, which opened into a very small narrow sort of cubicle, just big enough for one person to stand in , with a wooden counter protected by brass bars running across it .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Thu May 31, 2007 9:57 pm

Have many memories and some not that long ago.

When my mum took us we were never allowed inside the wee room where the business was carried out.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:35 am

we went to the springburn pawn, and had to wait outside the booth, we got sweets on the way home. and a return trip on the saturday
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Ra Pawn

Postby Graham » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:31 am

Mori wrote:Wonder how many Pawn shops there were in the city with the 3 Baws hanging outside it ::): , many a time i wanted to jump up and heedae they baws when i was younger. :)

Biggar's won't be there for much longer by the looks of it.....

Pawnbroker and hotel boss in stalemate over city site

from the Evening Times

A PAWNBROKER in Glasgow faces having to move - for the second time - due to a hotel development.

Edward Fox, who owns and runs the long-standing firm Robert Biggar, moved out of his premises in Argyle Street to allow the Radisson Hotel to be built in 1990.

However, his new site at the corner of Argyle Street and Robertson Street is now earmarked for a £125million luxury hotel.

It is in the International Financial Services District where Glasgow-born Charles Price wants to build a 26-storey six-star hotel, the Argyle International.

advertisementMr Price has already bought up most of the necessary land and is in the final stages of negotiations with the remaining property owners.

But no deal has been struck with Mr Fox for the pawnbroker business which has been in existence since 1830 and sits at the corner of the development site.

Mr Price, who is managing director of Progress Property Developments, said: "We have made every effort to negotiate with Mr Fox at a price significantly higher than the reasonable market value of his property.

"A formal offer was made in February of this year and it expired last month.

"Unusually, we have even offered him as part of the deal, alternative premises in the block opposite and on top of the high market value have offered him a six-figure sum to cover shop fitting expenses.

"I already own enough land to build the majority of the hotel and if push comes to shove, I will build it without him."

Mr Fox said he would sell up and move "if the price is right".

He said: "This is a very adventurous proposed development for the site and for Glasgow but no deal has been struck by myself and Mr Price.

"My business, Robert Biggar, has traded on this site for 17 years and since 1830 we traded at the opposite corner from my current location, which is now occupied by The Radisson SAS Hotel.

"I don't want to hinder the development but I have to protect myself, my long-established business and its customers."

Mr Fox claimed the alternative accommodation offered by Mr Price was too small. He added: "I'd be prepared to sell up if the price was right but in the meantime it is business as usual."

As first revealed in Tuesday's Evening Times, the Argyle International will have 26 storeys, 156 luxury rooms and a rooftop infinity swimming pool.

Mr Price also hopes it will boast the best restaurant in Scotland.

A health suite, bar and restaurant on the 23rd floor will give panoramic views across the city.

The hotel plan has been welcomed by city council development and regeneration director Steve Inch.
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Ra Pawn

Postby cybers » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:51 am

Graham wrote:
Mori wrote:Wonder how many Pawn shops there were in the city with the 3 Baws hanging outside it ::): , many a time i wanted to jump up and heedae they baws when i was younger. :)

She met him at the pawn shop and kissed him beneath the balls. (Hector Nicol)

I remember using this shop when it was across the road where the radisson is now....was up stairs as i remember and had a musty smell.
Was it really that long ago....WOW
If cheese gets mouldy you throw it out...
Why buy it mouldy in the first place ?
cybers
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:42 am

Good to see the old poverty industry is still flourishing :cry:
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:53 am

johnnyanglia wrote:Good to see the old poverty industry is still flourishing :cry:

The pawn shops are at least regulated and mostly understood by the borrowers unlike certain other sources of loans, hire purchase and farepak arrangements.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:03 am

johnnyanglia wrote:Good to see the old poverty industry is still flourishing :cry:

there's money in misery
I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnnyanglia » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:10 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:

The pawn shops are at least regulated and mostly understood by the borrowers unlike certain other sources of loans, hire purchase and farepak arrangements.

Regulated or not it still stinks !
Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings
johnnyanglia
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:27 pm

How come you did not contribute this sort of remark when we discussed mortgages, loans, the purchase of broadband services or any other financial exchange that does not involve cash. What's so bad about the pawn in comparison with provy cheques, farepak and loan sharks?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sydney Rosewater » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:12 pm

pwm437 wrote:I remeber going to the pawn wi ma maw in Cumberland Street, above Galbraiths in the early 60's. Quite a common occurence at that time and an accepted way of getting from one wage to the next. Went up a close to the first landing where there were about six little wooden doors, and when one of the little booths was vacant it became your turn. There was a big wooden counter and men with long brown dustcoats on. Funny the things that stick in your mind from childhood.

Any other HG memories of pawnshops ??

I was in that one in the 1st picture on this thread a few weeks ago wi ma mate. It looks like what you describe. Nae guys wi brown dustcoats though.
Sydney Rosewater
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects