Black & White Photography

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Black & White Photography

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue May 04, 2004 8:53 pm

Digital cameras are the bee's knees these days for covienence due to their almost instant results. But before you bin your old film camera, why not try out a few of the established film formats before they get discarded to history. If you've never taken a pic using slide film or B&W nows the time as it hasn't been cheaper to buy the film.

The pic below was taken on Kodak TCN 400 B&W film on an old Canon EOS 1000f and was developed in standard C-41 colour process :!: Yup this film doesn't need special black and white developing techniques, so you can take it to any high street photo printers.

This night shot is so much better being taken in B&W than the colour transparency (slide) I took just minutes after this pic was taken. Theres very little clutter to make the eye stray off the subject.

B&W night Photography .....go on give it a try :?: :D especially if your into streetscapes or buildings. Might have to wait till the darker nights come back to get the best results.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue May 04, 2004 9:08 pm

Wide angle view.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue May 04, 2004 10:49 pm

Headstone

low res just for download

-fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Fossil » Tue May 04, 2004 10:55 pm

Bit of both

-fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby turbozutek » Tue May 04, 2004 11:48 pm

Black and white is higher resolution and generally more sensitive to light.

So it looks super sharp if executed properly.

If you are in the mood for developing stuff yourself you can actually enlarge COLOUR prints in the comfort of your own home. Look into 'CIBACHROME' - you take the pics on slide film, develop it and then you can make contact prints with a torch and some paper.

Looks pretty cool.

I used to be well into Film photography. Still got my Minolta Dynax 7000i SLR in the house and my trusty and slightly rusty Lubitel TLR.

Pushed to the side for my Nikon CoolPix soon to be Canon A70! ;)

Chris....
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed May 05, 2004 10:33 am

Great pics folks. But can't allow that sepia toned pic Mr Fossil :!: this is for pure b&w pics only :P
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed May 05, 2004 10:35 am

Could use a repeat visit to St Peters for the express purpose of taking some decent photos...most of mine lacked sharpness due to my shaky hands!!

(great photos g)
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DVF » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:27 am

Anyone interested in night photography could look here:

http://www.thenocturnes.com/

It has lots of B&W and shows just what can be done. It's the sight that got me interested in photography in the first place. Just a pity my A70 has a max exposure of only 15 secs, some of these photos had exposures of half an hour!
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

B&W

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:24 am

Cheers for the link DVF some inspiring images on there. Roll on the dark nights :D
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:19 pm

I still rue the day I traded my trusty Zenith in for a new Canon A1 (that's a dig at the trade in, not the superb A1). It was years before I could afford another, and made sure it didn't want to eat expensive camera batteries, but then never went back to the subject.

I played in B&W and colour night photography for a while, but the arrival of the battery operated camera killed it as I was going really low light and half an hour was becoming a short exposure. B&W always won out as colour film misbehaves with these long exposures, and if you're anywhere near streetlights, everything picks up the colour cast from them.

One weird effect you will find if you go in for really long exposures in B&W is that the pic will begin to look like a daylight shot as light scatter gives a white sky, rather than black. Needless to say this also needs a scene selected without light sources in it.

For a bit of variation, and one that will work with digitals that don't have very long timed exposures, try light painting. One method is to set the camera up as usual, open the shutter and then use a hand held manual flashgun and use repeated flashes to cover the area of the subject. Carefully executed, this can produce perfect pics of items way outside the normal guide number of a single flash shot.

Enjoy :D
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:57 pm

DVF wrote:It has lots of B&W and shows just what can be done. It's the sight that got me interested in photography in the first place. Just a pity my A70 has a max exposure of only 15 secs, some of these photos had exposures of half an hour!

While it's true the Canon can only do 15 secs (I have an A70 too) what you CAN do is take a series of photographs over say.... half an hour / hour / ten days - whatever and then merge them in PhotoShop.

Get the first photo in and convert it to a layer and then plant the other photos on top of it - setting their opacity to less than 100%.. Makes for some interesting effects!!

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby leper_2000 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:55 am

some pretty nice photos there! the armadillo ones are amazing..
i think this is etterick bay in bute (its near it anyway)

and here are a couple of the church in the center of amsterdam (yeah, near the red light district) :roll: where they were showing the winners of some world press photography competition.

and one that is actually of glasgow! the wierd house in woodlands:
leper_2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:42 pm

Somewhere near :)

Not Ettrick but a view of Scalpsie Bay from the hillside above the car park leading to Tarmore Hill viewpoint.

Hmmm... I'll stick with the colour views please, B&W better for churches :)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:02 pm

Just messing about with the settings on my Z10, i got obsessed with taking black and white pics of everything, to see how stuff looks. I think this one turned out well.

edit: posted the same pic twice. Christ knows how i managed that :P
Last edited by mrlipring on Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby evilmiss » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:57 pm

Taken in the grounds of Paisley Arts Centre, where old grave covering stones are used as benches!!! This was a HUUUUUUGE Tif file, and I have a 3feet by 2feet print of it....mwahahahahaha!!!

and my wee kitty II

Last edited by evilmiss on Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't dream it. Be it.
evilmiss
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Photo Sharing