More railway tunnels

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby caine » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:26 am

yeah, i've been down the kelvin hall tunnel many a time for many a reason! :D but never knew the other end was blocked by another tunnel, thought it actually came out some where. every days a school day! ::):
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:12 pm

duncan wrote:yes, you can get into the entrance at kelvin hall. after a while, it's blocked off with earth, although there's a small pipe sticking out at the top (for ventilation?)

Yes, presumably that pipe is for ventilation. If they piled in earth and packed
it tight, it would probably get dislodged eventually by the air pressure
caused by the moving trains.

JH
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 12, 2007 3:05 pm

I noticed when entering the tunnel there is a small archway down near the ground as if there is something running under that tunnel, maybe a small stream or something to do with the kelvin hall. There seems to be iron support beams on the floor like the type you get when a railway passes over a river.

I walked about 100 meters into the tunnel passing hundreds of used candles and empty beer cans and bottles. Someone had placed a scream mask on the wall that more than made me sh*t myself when my torch light caught it.

I made my way back out after that, hearing what I thought was foot steps, maybe just rats but wasnt taking any chances just being on my own and all.

Might go back with some company and a better torch.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dmon » Wed May 16, 2007 2:53 am

sack going down there yerself, we and a few mates went down there and futher down the tunnel it ends up shin high muck everywhere, im surpised if you can even walk through it now :cry:
dmon
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed May 16, 2007 7:12 am

It's party central during the summer.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby vinny » Wed May 16, 2007 7:58 pm

Went to a party in the Yorkhill tunnel last summer. I know Shitdisco (a local band) have held parties there as well. Pics on their website of the candlelit entrance.
vinny
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 19, 2007 5:43 pm

Must be great going to one of those events, cant be many people who can say they have been in a real railway tunnel for a party. I wondered what all the little candles were for and who put them there. Thanks another mystery solved. ;-)
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Sat May 19, 2007 7:05 pm

Last one I heard about got busted by the cops a couple of hours after it started
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat May 19, 2007 7:08 pm

dougie79 wrote:Must be great going to one of those events

Hmmmmm :?

It is fun listening to people trying to find their way back out of the tunnel without a torch when the candles have burned out though ::):

McShad wrote:Last one I heard about got busted by the cops a couple of hours after it started

Last one i was at around 50 police turned up. I guess it's better than having to deal with real criminals and troublemakers on a Saturday night though, eh? :roll:
Last edited by dazza on Sat May 19, 2007 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazza
-
-

Postby dougie79 » Sat May 19, 2007 7:11 pm

Hey that looks just like A&E at the Victoria on a sat night but much more organised ;-)
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Mon May 21, 2007 2:56 pm

Just had a phone call today from one of my mates in Glasgow, he and a group of his mates went down into the yorkhill tunnel today. They too noticed the archway in the tunnel wall down near the ground. I would relate it to the archway to the entrance to the old Buchanan street tunnel where the queen street tunnel runs under. There must be something under there as on the tunnel floor there support girders supporting each of the two track beds. Maybe a river or another tunnel? This is a mystery. Have been checking some old maps but there is nothing to indicate anything even before the tunnel construction.

The council and network rail dont seem to have any idea of what it could be. The strangest thing is that my mates asked network rail if it was ok to venture down there and they told him to ask the city council. The council advised them that they could "freely" enter the tunnel then access was ok but not advised for saftey reasons. Scottish law does not concider it as tresspassing.

They were advised not to have any naked flames such as a fag lighter or "CANDLES" due to elevated levels of gas in the particular of land. ( tunnel rave people, please be warned and use glow sticks) :-)
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon May 21, 2007 6:22 pm

dougie79 wrote:Just had a phone call today from one of my mates in Glasgow, he and a group of his mates went down into the yorkhill tunnel today. They too noticed the archway in the tunnel wall down near the ground. I would relate it to the archway to the entrance to the old Buchanan street tunnel where the queen street tunnel runs under. There must be something under there as on the tunnel floor there support girders supporting each of the two track beds. Maybe a river or another tunnel? This is a mystery. Have been checking some old maps but there is nothing to indicate anything even before the tunnel construction.

Probably a tributary of the Kelvin, I'd imagine.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scallopboy » Mon May 21, 2007 6:52 pm

It might also be a big old sewer.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dougie79 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:14 pm

I suppose it could be. I was hoping it was something exciting :-( when I think about it it may well be an old sewer. :-(
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby coldo » Tue May 22, 2007 9:40 pm

A few pictures of the tunnel that runs from Kelvindale/Anniesland gasworks up towards Maryhill have been posted on the Railscot website for anyone thats interested

Edit - sorry, link didnt seem to work, but if you go to railscot and type in Kelvindale in the search function then some pics should come up

As i stay in Anniesland i will try and take a couple myself if i get the time/remember :D , if not from track level then at least from the canal path showing the mouth of the tunnel, well what you can see of it with the trees in they way
coldo
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects